Samsung

General discussion

Samsung UN46B6000 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED TV and PS3 audio

by jasontricci / April 25, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

I currently have my PS3 hooked directly into my Samsung television via PS3 brand HDMI cable. I seem to notice that the television drops it's center channel audio when playing and DVD or Bluray. What I notice is audio that appears "muffled", as though the television is attempting to play 5.1 or above audio format, while it only supports 2 channel. I have to turn the volume way up even to hear spoken dialogue. Can you suggest any modifications to the television audio settings, or possibly even the ps3 settings, that may correct this issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN46B6000 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED TV and PS3 audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN46B6000 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED TV and PS3 audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About the PS3
by VarHyid / April 25, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

I can't help you with the TV, but while you wait for someone qualified in this matter, you may wanna try go into your PS3's

Audio Settings -> HDMI -> Manual

and UNcheck everything EXCEPT:
- Linear PCM 2Ch. 44.1 kHz and
- Linear PCM 2Ch. 48 kHz

Collapse -
Thank you
by jasontricci / April 26, 2010 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: About the PS3

Thank you kindly. I have previously attempted as you suggested before posting this question with no success or changes. I have since checked a few more 2-channel options with higher frequencies. As far as I can tell, no noticeable changes to audio quality. I can only assume there is something I'm missing, although I've looked into almost EVERYTHiNG in both the television and PS3. I'm planning on getting a Samsung sound bar to accompany the television (the sound bar has Samsung's "Touch of Color", like my television does) Hopefully this increases the overall sound quality and loudness.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2010 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

jasontricci,

Due to the slim design of the television, the speaker size is limited and may not have dynamic audio available on televisions with thicker designs. I'm not sure I can say why the voices would be muffled, but if you're thinking about adding speakers, adding a quality soundbar would definitely increase your enjoyment.

Are you able to hear voices on other programming, such as from the cable box and DVD/Blu-Ray player?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for responses
by jasontricci / April 30, 2010 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Generally, yes. I'm able to hear the audio quite well via the cable box, which is the only other device hooked up to this particular television. The cable box is hooked up via a HDMI cable, which is the same hook up I' using for the PS3.

Collapse -
I have the same problems
by tomasu2 / June 1, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

I have this exact same problem, and I'm dying for some help here. I've tried using different settings on the TV and it seems I have the choice between muffled voices and sound effects such as explosions, loud sound effects that makes it hard to hear speaking and background music (explosions are still muffled) or I can have really loud background music. And whichever I choose, there's always this weird, deep echoing sounds whenever characters are inside buildings, and footsteps are really loud.

I only have this problem when using my PS3, but I'm not very good at technical stuff, so I'm having problems configuring the PS3 settings. And either way I also only have this problem when using Samsung's LED TV, so maybe they're just not compatible?

I would deeply appreciate some help.

Collapse -
Alternate solution
by jasontricci / June 1, 2010 3:22 AM PDT

It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this type of problem. I've literally tried everything I can think of and I like to consider myself somewhat informed on technical aspects. My solution was to spend a little bit of money and purchase Samsung's Soundbar with subwoofer. It sounds great but is indeed a tad bit pricey. I'm pleased with the sound and have it hooked up to my PS3 via optical cable. It simulates virtual surround sound and is very crisp. However, this still does not solve this muffled voices when listening to the television speakers. I'm leaning towards compatability issues, although it makes no sense to me.

Collapse -
Where can I buy one?
by tomasu2 / June 1, 2010 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Alternate solution

Could you perhaps give me a link to where you bought this soundbar? It would be much appreciated.
Also, what sound settings do you use on your PS3?

Collapse -
You can get one here, and I certainly recomend getting one
by jasontricci / June 2, 2010 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Where can I buy one?
Collapse -
Oh, by the way...
by jasontricci / June 2, 2010 4:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Where can I buy one?

...the sound settings I was using before ranged, but were most often configured "automatically" by communicating the PS3 with my Samsung LED TV via HDMI connection. Now, with the Samsung Sound Bar, I've still configured it "automatically", but using "optical" as the connector, as this particular sound bar has both optical AND RCA input connections available!! The sound certainly improves, as expected, and the voices I'd say are a bit more "crisper", and I rarely have it above 1/4 of the volume.

Collapse -
I have the same problems
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 3:15 PM PDT

tomasu2,

Could it be you're using a 5.1 or surround sound setting in the menu of the game console, rather than stereo? I'm wondering why certain things would be louder unless they are assigned to specific channels.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Not sure, but...
by tomasu2 / June 1, 2010 8:50 PM PDT

I've tried using 5.1 something, however that was while looking for a solution to the problem. The problem with muffled voices and such is there even when using the default settings. And whatever I do, it seems that something gets muffled, like the sounds are unbalanced. Don't really know how to explain it.

Collapse -
Not sure, but...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2010 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure, but...

tomasu2,

The speakers themselves are small - based on the slim design - and will have only a certain amount of power. While this shouldn't relate to the symptom your describing, it may be.

You might try adjusting the sound options to see if changing the equalizer might help if, for instance, heavy bass sounds are distorting the other frequencies.

The other thing is to consider a small bookshelf system that has an AUX IN that would have larger speakers (in multiples!) and deliver better sound than what you're able to get currently.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Great suggestion, but already attempted
by jasontricci / June 2, 2010 4:14 PM PDT

Although a great suggestion, this was my first alteration I made when attempting to configure the audio settings in the PS3. There was never a 5.1 or even a 7.1 audio setting selected in the PS3 audio settings when I was setting it up initially. Even when configured "automatically", the PS3 recognized that my Samsung LED could not receive those tpyes of signals/frequencies. And after a few tinkerings with "manual" adjustments in the PS3 audio settings, I literally gave up on it after testing out, what I thought, was every possible combination. Although I still believe something may have been overlooked.

Collapse -
It's been a while, but did you ever solve the muffled audio.
by jasontricci / July 12, 2011 6:03 PM PDT

A while ago, you responded to a posting on this forum regarding my PS3's audio being muffled and it appeared that both you and I have the exact same problem. I was just wondering if you've had success in solving the problem, as I'm going insane still trying to solve it. You wouldn't believe the extent at which I have been effortlessly seeking advice on this audio problem. And now, I actually have two PS3's, one in the living room(fat PS3) and the other in my bedroom (slim PS3) and both exhibit the exact same muffled audio problems and such. I'm dying over here. What am I missing, because I'm sure there must be something, since both PS3's are hooked up to two different televisions in the exact same manner, via HEMISPHERE directly into the television.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.