HDTV Picture Setting forum

Question

Samsung UN40D6000 displays blurred movement!

by albrooklyn / May 16, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

Hi,
I installed my Samsung HDMI TV UN40D6000 last week end.
Something's wrong with the picture quality.
I watched movies using my
old JVC DVD player and as well as connecting my Macbook to the TV with
Netflix.
Static images look great but any movement in the movie, and the picture would look blurred and fragmented.
Anybody noticed the same problem? Is it the quality of the cable i'm
using?
I used a regular yellow RCA video cable connected to the Apple DVI to Video Adapter on the laptop.
Do i need some sort of HD digital video cable? Any help would be nice.
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN40D6000 displays blurred movement!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN40D6000 displays blurred movement!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you tried HD and DVD players that up convert?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 3:08 AM PDT

Why I ask is this complaint is often from owners that don't have HD content or signals.

Collapse -
No HD devices
by albrooklyn / May 16, 2011 3:40 AM PDT

No i havn't used any HD devices yet. I'm about to order to Samsung usb stick to connect the TV to the internet directly without the use of the laptop and i'll see if i get the same flawed picture.
So far the blurred/fragmented effect only surrounds & follows the character in movement, it doesn't affect the other areas of the picture where it's static.

Collapse -
HD source
by KsLIVER / May 16, 2011 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: No HD devices

Hi there. I just bought a 46inch of this TV, and using an HD source is everything. My current sources are Analog cable (yea, yea...), DVD on component in, wii / PS2 on composite in, USB stick with avi file, and laptop on hdmi.

I tried an older DVD player with component cables, and the pixel stretch / upconvert was horrible. Discovered my DVD output was 480p... and it certainly didn't scale up well.

I then tried the Wii on the composite video (lol)... Even worse. 480i stretched out looked nasty, and the blur with games was even worse. PS2 - same thing - really dark and blurry picture. I hope to tweak this a bit (getting component adapters), as the more I read about even trying to upconvert these signals may be useless.

Then I tried HDMI from a laptop (external hdmi port on laptop direct to TV). Pretty nice. DVD looks way better through the PC than my DVD player. Of course, newer DVDs were better than some older ones.

Oh... I also did a USB flash drive with an avi rip of a movie. Shockingly, even this poorly ripped movie looked way better than my older DVD player for playback. Looking forward to sharing media to this TV...

As for the motion blur (and here's my problem), enabling the auto motion plus creates a noticeable skip / lag every 2 seconds (roughly). The only time it isn't noticeable, is when set to 'clear' - but then you begin to notice choppy rates / blur again. the LED motion plus didn't make a difference in either case. I'm suspecting some sort or processing lag / buffer or something, and I'm really hoping there's a firmware patch in the future that'll address it. I just got the TV, and hope that I can use it for more PC gaming in the future, and would want that auto motion plus feature working 100% (and with as little latency as possible).

Anyway, I'm planning to get a Blue Ray player for sure (starting to look into it), and most likely will build an HTPC for it (gaming / media access). I'm also looking at the smaller WD HD live plus as a short-term solution for streaming network files to it (in 1080p), and maybe use it for the netflix (HD streaming!).... Again, the avi playback was impressive with the built in player.

As for your WiFi idea, I guess you could try that, but just make sure whatever you're trying is an actual HD file / format of 1080p. Head to Youtube (via the SmartTV apps) and maybe see if you can select the 1080p HD formats of some videos (if available for the clips). Worked for me via the Laptop as well, and man the picture looked great!

Let us know what you find!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Blurred Movement
by gshank80 / February 22, 2012 10:28 AM PST

I got a Samsung UN40D6000 about 2 months back. I started seeing blurred movement about a month after i got the TV. Not sure if i changed the settings. i played around with the LED Motion plus feature and other settings in general. I am planning to call Samsung customer service to get help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.