Samsung forum

Samsung UN40D5005BF model and motion smoothing question

by BobBombadil / November 23, 2011 9:37 AM PST

I am thinking about purchasing the Samsung UN40D5005BF model from Costco. I have done some research on Samsung tvs and have read a lot about 120hz tvs and the problems of auto motion plus. This particular model however does not seem to come with auto motion plus. I looked in the settings and didn't see this option. Does this tv have any motion smoothing options/settings that I should know about? I would like to know because I would like to turn them off so I don't experience the "soap opera effect" when I am watching blu-rays. Or does this tv automatically motion smooth without providing any turn off options?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN40D5005BF model and motion smoothing question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN40D5005BF model and motion smoothing question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Any help?
by BobBombadil / November 24, 2011 4:06 PM PST

Anyone have any thoughts?

Collapse -
by Barrowman56 / November 25, 2011 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Any help?

I just purchased this TV today. Please do not buy this TV. The labeling on this TV is very misleading the TV is actually 60hz. The motion blur is also there. If you going to be watching blu rays with dark scenes you will see ghosting and shadowing which is annoying. The 120 is the Clear Motion Rate. This is not the actual hz. I thought i was getting a great deal on a 40 inch samsung LED 120 hz deal for $499 at Sams Club but no. When a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is. Hope you get this message before buying this tv.

Collapse -
Samsung UN40D5005BF TV
by konamears / November 25, 2011 5:06 PM PST
In reply to: Bob

I just purchased this TV today at Costco for $489. I did not open box yet. Should I take it back? What 40" TV do you recommend in this price range? Thanks for your insight. Aloha, Ray

Collapse -
CMR vs. Hz
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 1:40 AM PST

The television's panel is a 60Hz television.

Collapse -
RE:Samsung UN40D5005BF model and motion smoothing question
by Blueforester / November 28, 2011 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: CMR vs. Hz

Just called Samsung and was assured that the this panel supports 60HZ up to 120HZ, provided connected device can output 120HZ. And Auto Motion is supported at 120HZ. Is this just marketing and sales speak?? The lady put me on hold to go verify.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:50 AM PST

Someone goofed here. I can't find any document that writes this model supports more than 60Hz input rates. Yes the panel is 120.

Collapse -
RE:Samsung UN40D5005BF model and motion smoothing question
by Blueforester / November 28, 2011 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

Thanks! Picked up one this evening. Everything from the packaging to literature states 120.

Collapse -
This will be interesting. I'd like to find a 120Hz monitor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 10:38 AM PST

So far the gamers have been upset about being stuck at 50/60 Hz.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.