Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TVs not compatible with Apple MACs

by chickenman9 / March 2, 2009 10:58 PM PST

I cant get my Samsung PS 50 A 756 to work with my MAC mini. It just says "check cable" although works with every other TV or display I've ever had.

When I contacted support the reply I received was

"The VGA connection on these TV?s will accept a IBM, VESA and CVT. The
HDMIDVI connection can accept VESA and CEA software. As far as i am
aware Apple to not use these types of software and that is why the Mac
will not connect. I would advise contacting Apple for clarification.
"

Shame it says on the Samsung website that the firmware supports "All OS" which it clearly does not !!

This is very annoying. Macs now have a large share of the market What is going on !!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TVs not compatible with Apple MACs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TVs not compatible with Apple MACs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works for me
by clicq / March 3, 2009 9:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Resolution?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2009 8:25 AM PST

chickenman9,

What resolution are you outputting to the television?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Also very annoyed
by ChickenHotRod / March 4, 2009 9:21 AM PST

I bought an LN46a960 and paid $430 to have it shipped from New York. I was expecting to use DLNA, Wiselink and was going to use it as a monitor with my Mac Mini since the set was advertised as working with all OS's. I connected to my wired network and couldn't access anything. I called Samsung and was told that DLNA/Wiselink did not work on a Mac and Mac was not supported when using the set for a monitor. I am royally annoyed. The Wiselink was a major reason that I bought the set I see through the forum that there is a hack using Mediatomb, Fink, Darwin Ports ant the Terminal. I downloaded all the appropriate stuff only to find out that I need to go back to school to learn how to compile and use this arcane hack.
What do I do now? I don't want to spend another $430 to return this. I'm even told that they don't take returns. I bought this because I believed false advertising.

Not being to use it as a monitor is inexcusable. I will buy a 20' lond DVI cable and keep my fingers crossed. If not, I will have to connect through the S jack and an audio input. At least I expect that I can do that. Samsung couldn't even tell me if that was possible, though I expect it is.

Come on Samsung. Mac is gaining market share. I'm sick of being treated as a second class citizen. Stop lying to us in your advertising. Don't say you support all OS's if you don't support Mac. This is lawsuit territory! I seriously considered returning the Samsung. I called up the store and I can't return it. Even if I could, it would mean another $430 for shipping back. That's a total of $860 loss because I believed Samsung's false claims.

Someday, somebody is going to take you to court.
Get on the stick and support Mac!

Collapse -
DVI saves the day
by chickenman9 / March 5, 2009 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Also very annoyed

I tried all resolutions with the VGA to no avail. I then bought the DVI to HDMI converter. Thank god it works. Didnt fancy shipping back to expansys!! Still poor show from Samsung. Please update that firmware for those other Mac addicts. Even CRT monitors from 15 yrs ago managed to be Mac compatible!!

Collapse -
by chickenman9 / March 6, 2009 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: DVI saves the day

@chickenhotrod
Good job I wasn't expecting the DLNA/Wiselink to work. I haven't tried it and normally just stream from my server to the Mac Mini and output to the TV which thankfully works now

Collapse -
DLNA works fine
by underthemoss / May 14, 2010 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: .

DLNA works fine for my 46" LCD, the 630 model. You will need a DLNA server on your Mac, obviously. I use the bittorent program Vuze, which also doubles as a DLNA server. You have to drag and drop the files you wish you use on your TV into the icon for your samsung TV in the sidebar in vuze as well, kind of a pain, but it is free and gets updated regularly. Although if you are using the TV as your display for the Mac mini, that pretty much eliminates the need to use the DLNA function.

Collapse -
Also very annoyed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2010 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Also very annoyed

ChickenHotRod,

There's a few points I figure that are worth mentioning, since you took the time to post a few statements - they have merit, and deserve a response.

1. I don't remember the television being advertised as "supporting all OS's". OS's come in a wide range of flavors, and while compatibility is somewhat universal these days, often times retailers (rather than the manufacturer) will make those kinds of statements. So if the accusation is legitimate and something you found from Samsung, I'd be interested in seeing where we advertised what you're claiming so that I can address it accordingly.

2. The product you purchased (The "A" Series) is a 2008 product, which was the last year we did a "self detect" PC input. 2009 and forward have the PC input as an 'always on' connection. The reason for this change was that there is one pin in the VGA cable that the computer must send for the television to detect and enable the PC port in the TV. This design was great, until we came across several manufacturers who used parts that had a different detect pin. This isn't a focus in most scenarios, since monitors have an "always on" connection (and most people use monitors), and we started seeing this trend in the TV's input in 2008. Samsung followed the standard, whereas some computer manufacturers did not, and as a result, they had to release a BIOS update so that the pin assignment would enable the TV. I'm pretty straightforward in saying that I don't know where Macs stood on this particular issue. But when we saw that it was significantly popular to connect computers to the televisions, we decided that an Always On port would be a good idea.

3. As far as Apple products go, we've been supporting Mac before supporting Mac "was cool". We have printers going back approximately 8 years or more that include drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux without having to pay a premium price for a "Mac Exclusive" printer, which were expensive back in the day. (I myself owned the ML-6060, a yester-year monster of a monochrome laser, which supported several releases of Mac OS software). Our MP3 players were designed to work with Macs before iPods were on the market, when most other players were incompatible altogether. In some cases, I would make the argument (without really arguing, of course) that we've treated Apple owners as "equal citizens" when some other companies were only looking at the "majority marketshare" for the release of their products.

4. Finally, when people bring up lawsuits, suggestions of lawyers or other such comments, I appreciate the warning, but it really stifles my ability to help. I'd much rather have a discussion so that perhaps together we can find a solution. Again, I'd be interested in reviewing the claims that you've seen so that I can address them with the appropriate department. It doesn't do us any good to deliver inaccurate information and anger people. It just doesn't. So if I can influence a change so that we can avoid this sort of misunderstanding in the future, please know that I'm happy to listen.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.