Samsung

General discussion

Samsung TV with DLNA how to guide...converting MKV files

by tampamark / January 12, 2010 4:06 AM PST

I have seen a lot of information online about the limitations of the Samsung TV and the PC Share Manager. It is very true. I have been working on perfecting my DLNA network for a couple of months and finally have some tips to share. I tested a bunch of file types but not all in the video converter program. I am only reporting what I have found. The best thing to do is if you have a file, try to play it before going through the conversion, you may get lucky.

My System:
Samsung LN52B750 lcd tv with hardwire Ethernet jack
Serviio DLNA program on PC (freeware)
VideoLan VLC PLayer (freeware)
*note: I dumped PC Share for Serviio instead, I tried tversity and did not have much luck with it either.

I have some HD movies on my PC that I wanted to play on the TV. Unfortunately, even though they are 1080p, they were created in a 1920 x 800 resolution. I determined this by playing the file in VLC Player and going to TOOLS/CODEC INFORMATION. The TV does not like this resolution and will tell you it is not a supported file type. It also was an MKV file so I don't think it liked that either. What I found is:

1. convert the file to 1920 x 1080, this is a supported resolution
2. during this same conversion process use the x264 Codec

I tried 3 different conversion programs, two of them that were a free trial but would cost $30 to $40 for a license. I figured those would be the best and worked with them for a while. There were problems with the audio lagging from the video by 1 second after conversion, or inability to select the audio track (english vs. german, etc.). The program that did the trick is a freeware - Any Video Converter http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/. It does a great job, matter of fact it was the only one that did the job correctly at all.

OK, so you now have this product. You also have an MPG / MKV / VOB or some other type of file that you would like to convert to a DLNA compliant x264 file:

1. Select file for source (Add Video)
2. Select on the right pane up top under Profile, Customized AVI Movie
3. Down below in the Video Codecs option, select x264 from list
4. Select the Frame size that best matches the source file as determined in VLC Player. For instance, if you have a 1920 x 800 file make it 1920 x 1080, the software will just add black bands to the top bottom, it doesn't warp the file. If you had a 1280 x 600 resolution you will need to make it 1280 x 720 to play on the tv.
5. I use 12000 for the bitrate and 23.976 for frame rate, I tried other frame rates but playback was jerky.
5. Audio codec I leave as MP3/bitrate 128/sample rate 44100/audio channel 2/ and the other selections as stock.
6. If the file has a foreign language as the default audio you can use the Audio Track dropdown to select English if it is available. The TV does not allow you to select multiple tracks so you must make sure that you select a new default if you source file defaults to another language.
7. Once you do all this you can convert the file, it will play on the TV.

A large file (15 gig) took almost 18 hours to convert. But my PC is a bit older and while it is robust may be slower than yours.

I did notice that shorter length video's will fast forward but longer do not. I do not know why.

Good luck.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV with DLNA how to guide...converting MKV files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV with DLNA how to guide...converting MKV files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow this is what I need!!!
by duyve028 / November 15, 2010 10:21 PM PST

Hello,

this is exactly what i need. I have one other question. This is because I'm dutch and want subtitles. What do you do with those. I know the backed in subtitles dont work, but seperate .srt files do?

Collapse -
thank you!
by Rojoyinc / November 16, 2010 4:54 AM PST

hoping it works. trying a conversion as I type this.
My original footage (GoPro camera) was 60fps. So I'm trying that first. Though there was no such option. I selected AUTO for framerate.

I've had decent luck with Adobe Media Encoder. The video looks OUSTANDING from it, but get this. The audio drops out at 3min 36 seconds. (any ideas on that one?)
Will comment on how I come out with your instructions.

thanks!

Collapse -
PC SHARE
by Rojoyinc / November 16, 2010 4:58 AM PST

didn't work for me either. Won't start the server error on my win7 high end dell desktop. Will start but not share on my XP laptop. (though it might if I spent more time tweaking it). But I need it on my desktop. I found something that works called Twonkey Media.
Though not free. I'll try your suggestion.

I am using the Samsung UNC7000 3D 46"

Collapse -
reply...
by tampamark / January 4, 2011 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: PC SHARE

Sorry, this thread was dead and didn't check it for a long time. I don't know about subtitles .srt files since I don't have a need for them.

But I do have a revision to this. Serviio has come out with a newer version that utilizes Transcoding. Because of this I no longer have to convert files to play on my Samsung TV. This has saved me a TON of time. Since it is a free software I recommend giving it a try. It is way better than the Media Manager software that comes from Samsung. It supports Samsung A, B, and C televisions.

Collapse -
thats good to know - but I've evolved
by Rojoyinc / January 5, 2011 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: reply...

I evolved to Media Center in windows 7 - THEN - added a HDPVR (tuner/recorder)
which didn't play well with MCE. So I flowed into other utils and eventually something called Media Portal.

Google it. It's a open source Media Center replacement that is awesome. Skins, plug ins that can do really anything. So now I use this on the Samsung, and can jump through all my media from music, to home movies, to TV - recording TV in HD to computer and playing back. I have some issues yet to solve with the TV guide, but after some initial setup frustration, - I have it humming along nicely.
I haven't used DLNA in months now.

Collapse -
by tampamark / January 5, 2011 10:15 PM PST

Very cool, looks to be similar to XBMC. I have utilized that but only for my laptop when travelling (it boots straight to the media players so I don't have the OS draining my battery). Glad you got a solution.

I had an HTPC years ago and scrapped it. With the advent of HD DVR boxes from the cable company I saw no need to have a PC at my TV. For $9/month I have a HTPC from the cable company that can record two shows and play back one, all in hi-def and without having to put my wife through a tech-class (by me). I good hi-def HTPC was quite a bit more at the time, around $1500 several years ago. I could rent a box for 13.8 years before I break even.

All I really need is the ability to play movies that were not recorded via my Cable Subscription. And Serviio is the most effective. We use it maybe one a week, sometimes only once every two weeks. So a PC would be complete overkill for me.

Collapse -
htpc
by Rojoyinc / January 7, 2011 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: ..

MY PC is in my computer room downstairs. I have a VGA out to my monitor, a DVI out to a HDMI splitter that splits to a 32" hdtv (dual monitor on computer) then a long hdmi that goes into closet, then into ceiling, then comes up inside built in entertainment center in living room upstairs. I have IR blaster that gets commands from the remote in living room to control PC downstairs. Was a bit of doing, but works really nicely. I also have tiny RF keyboard/mouse pad remote (smaller than most TV remotes) that gives me full keyboard/mouse control of my PC from upstairs in living room. Essentially - lay on the sofa and browse the net or run any computer program on PC viewing on 46" LED tv. So no dedicated PC next to TV.
My TV and PC are about 20ft of cable away from each other. (luckily one oriented pretty much over the top of the other in other rooms).

I'm a pro photographer of 30+ years so I have thousnds of photos, as well as thousands of cd's in my library, probably thousands of HD home videos I like to view, and I rip my blu rays so I Can access the motion picture library all from the Samsung in the living room.

Collapse -
no audio output to external speakers
by thlilis / December 4, 2011 2:32 AM PST

Hello tampamark,
it really worked! i tried it converting .flv youtube videos (originally downloaded from youtube using real player SP) to .avi and were played by media player of my samasung led 7 series tv. Only problem there is no audio when playing these files by tv media player but using external speakers (amplifier), video is playing but no audio to external speakers.
When reverting to Tv speakers than there is audio when video is playing.
External speakers are working fine when watching Tv, there is audio, only problem is when playing these videos.
Problem exists either when playing video from Usb or from Tv's memory.
Have tried when converting different audio codec but still same problem.

Really need some help on this.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.