Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TV - USB external hard drive Limitations

by pulseps / December 9, 2012 10:45 PM PST

Today market 3TB and 4TB drives are easily available in market and its so convenient to use it when HD video is everyones need.

Samsung TV only supports upto 1.5TB hard drive thru USB port. if you connect 2TB it might recognise in somecase. but like 3TB or more will not recognised by samsung TV.

Why samsung not update firmware for this issue? why should we paid $2500 on TV for 8000 series model if they cant listen to consumers!

Samsung please help customer like us who really care about USB HDD playback.

If your answer is when tv was made in your factory at that time 3TB and 4TB wasnt available in market. so why you guys are leading in technology. why shouldnt think that storage needs will increase and increat time by time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV - USB external hard drive Limitations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV - USB external hard drive Limitations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 12:33 AM PST

As these companies move forward with apps and more, I worried how they would cope with the snowball effect. What is that?

As you put apps and more into your TVs, with each model you might create another model that needs updates, patches or apps that need fixing.

We already see that in the YouTube app that is not from the TV maker. If the third party has no interest or enough programmers then it won't be fixed.

-> Your question is how these makers will deal with changes in technology. My bet is they'll do the same as Microsoft.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2012 5:27 AM PST

Hi pulseps,

I'm sorry that you've had a hard time with this, but we've tested a 3TB hard drive before, and it has worked. So it what's the model of the 3TB hard drive that you're trying to use? Also, what's the model of your TV?

HD Tech

Collapse -
thanks for reply by Samsung HD Tech
by pulseps / December 12, 2012 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Samsung TV

dear HD Tech,
I have samsung model UN55D8000.
i tried Seagate 3TB back up plus external desk top hard drive. which is not recognised with TV's USB port.
i am currently running 500gb portable iomega drive. that works great.

Before i purchased samsung tv i called samsung supports to ask how much capacity of external HDD will compitable with UN55D8000 tv. they said upto 4TB.
Now, I called samsung 2 days ago for same question. now they said 1.5TB. i am not expecting this variation from this great company.

please help.
and thanks again for reply.
pulseps - 973-807-two seven nine four

Collapse -
Is this the model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 2:50 AM PST
Collapse -
usb 3.0 with usb 2.0 compitable
by pulseps / December 12, 2012 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: Is this the model?

this hard drive is USB 3.0 however, it is back ward compitable with USB 2.0

Collapse -
And you'll learn that's it's not all the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:10 AM PST

The proof it's not is out there. I don't want to upset you but it appears folk are going to learn this one first hand.

Collapse -
Partitioning may help
by kjayakumar / January 25, 2014 9:26 AM PST

Hello: I had similar issues, I removed the 3TB partition (backup files from the HDD first) on the hard drive and created two partions, first partion of 1500 GB and the second partion with remaining space. It worked like a charm in my Samsung LED TV -- I have a 2010 7 series. The tv showed two drives on the screen and I could use both partitions with no issues.

Please try it at your own risk.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.