Samsung

Question

Samsung TV Turns Itself Off & On at Every Commercial

by incognito21 / December 6, 2012 1:24 PM PST

I have a 55" LED UN6300 TV that is a bit over 2 1/2 years old. I have had a problem for the last couple of months with the TV turning itself off and on at every commercial. Commercial starts the TV shuts down. Commercial ends TV starts back up.
When I initially purchased the TV, I also purchased a Squaretrade extended warranty for 3 years. They have sent two different technicians out and changed both the main boards each time. It will stop turning itself off for a week or so and then starts back again doing the same thing. It really gets irritating after a while. Could some capacitors or something be going out on the power supply? If you have a fix or solution, it would really be appreciated. The 3rd time Squaretrade just paid me off the original price of the TV. Their techs could not figure it out. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV Turns Itself Off & On at Every Commercial
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV Turns Itself Off & On at Every Commercial
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung TV Turns Itself Off & On at Every Commercial
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2012 10:47 PM PST

Hi incognito21,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Model # Samsung UN55C6300SFXZA
by incognito21 / December 7, 2012 12:23 AM PST

Model # Samsung UN55C6300SFXZA in answer to your question. Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Samsung TV Turns Itself Off & On at Every Commercial
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 7, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Hi incognito21,

I'm actually very curious about this issue. You said the TV would power cycle every time it came to commercial. Is this OTA TV, or is it cable TV? In either case, did any message come up on the TV when it powered cycled?

Also, is there any chance you could give transaction or service numbers from these times when square trade has sent service technicians out?

HD Tech

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by dlaurenzi / February 3, 2014 12:11 AM PST

I've been having the same problem.
I took my TV to a technician, and they couldn't figure out the issue.
I'm connected to Time Warner cable.
I've swapped out cable boxes, cables, switched to component etc.
It's definitely an issue with the television itself.
Would love any input. It's out of warranty, and Samsung hasn't been any help.
The technician said it wasn't the motherboard or power control board.
I can watch HBO for hours, but commercial TV has it cutting out.

Collapse -
Re: I have the same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 3, 2014 4:25 AM PST

Hi dlaurenzi,

Sorry to hear this. I see you have UN55C6300SFXZA listed in the reply. Is this the same model you have? Do you notice this issue happening on any other sources?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
More info
by dlaurenzi / February 3, 2014 2:56 PM PST

Actually the model number is UN55C6500VFXZA.
It would seem that if the TV is unplugged for multiple days, then once replugged, the problem doesn't reappear for a few days. Once it starts, it gets progressively worse.
At first the TV will only cycle off and on every 15 minutes or so on a commercial channel from a cable source.
Channels like HBO don't have issue.
Once the power off and on cycle gets to the point that it's every 30 seconds or so I've noticed that this issue will happen on non commercial channels as well as from an iTV, and a PS3.
I've had the TV plugged in to a back up battery source to eliminate the possibility that it's a fluctuation in power level. I've checked all sources and replaced cables and run another TV with the same sources and have no issue.

Collapse -
Re: More info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2014 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: More info
Collapse -
Answer
TV Power Cycles at Every Commercial
by incognito21 / December 7, 2012 4:04 AM PST

The TV is currently connected to Comcast Cable.
Yes, it power cycles at every commercial.
Unfortunately it was repaired both times by a company out of San Jose CA by the name of ITI.
They hire local techs who work for them on call. Each time they changed both main boards and I never received any documentation with any transaction or service #'s.
Any clue of wht could be causing this problem?

Collapse -
Re: TV Power Cycles at Every Commercial
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 7, 2012 4:43 AM PST

Hi incognito21,

So here's the thing: the TV doesn't know that it's getting a commercial. To the TV, video input is video input, whether it's a commercial or news or Saturday morning cartoons. The only thing that could be happening is that the cable box is sending some kind of signal when it switches from regular programming to a commercial. Perhaps, it's a resolution change, which if you're connected HDMI, would require a renegotiating of the HDCP handshake.

However, that handshake if it failed wouldn't power cycle the TV; it would just say, "No Signal": http://www.samsung.com/us/system/support/faq/2012/09/04/faq00049456/2011_No-Signal_med.jpg

So I'm thinking all of this has centered around your cable box. Then perhaps the cable box is faulty. Have you tried connecting another TV to it to see if you can replicate the results?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Cable Box is Not an Issue
by incognito21 / December 7, 2012 7:30 AM PST

I exchanged my existing cable box for a new one yesterday. That is not the problem as I hooked up another TV to this box and it works fine.
I was told by another technician just abvout the same thing that you have saidf here on the handshake issue.
So it not being the cable box, where do I go from here?

Collapse -
Re: Cable Box is Not an Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 10, 2012 3:14 AM PST

Hi incognito21,

If you feel like making a video, we have a few people here who are very curious about the issue. So we'd love to see the behavior in action.

HD Tech

Collapse -
TV power cycle & commercial
by martoisnh / July 10, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

I have a very similar problem with a 2007 samsung 46" LCD. I have a DirecTV, and it doesn't cycle at every commercial or even every channel, but it's erratic and most common around commercials. It also does it at certain moments when playing PS3 games. There is something with the signal it's receiveing from either box that's making it go nuts like that. It's not the HDMI cables, since I have swapped them out multiple times and the cycling always starts up again. Also, this is a problem of the last 6 months or so, and no new equipment or cables were added to the set up. Very curious.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.