Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TV stops working after firmware update

by LanthY / November 10, 2012 7:56 AM PST

I have (actually had) a 40" Samsung LCD TV I was pretty happy with. As a "good" consumer I registered the TV with Samsung to receive periodic updates etc... At one point I decide to act on a firmware update available on their website, follow the instructions down to each step and install the update. The update installs successfully, except that the TV stops working properly, the image is all blurry and the colors scrambled.
I call Samsung, and the reps suggest I arrange a service call at cost. I am miffed: I had a working TV before, and only acted on an update Samsung suggested to do. Why should I pay to repair an issue Samsung itself appears to have caused? I asked to escalate the request in case the person didn't have the authority. I was told a supervisor will call shortly. The call hasn't come yet.

The TV model is LNT4061FX/XAA, and the firmware update is "LNT_61__65__66_Series_Firmware".

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV stops working after firmware update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV stops working after firmware update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung TV stops working after firmware update
by DCal2722 / November 11, 2012 6:30 AM PST

I have no experience to solve your problem, although I believe that you can restore your TV to "working order". You would need to go to the Samsung Support web site that would be connected to your TV if you had registered it with Samsung. At that site there should be the "Original" firmware available or a prior version to the version that is causing the problem with your set. I would also suggest that you "try" to re-run the firmware update that seems to have caused the problem as I would guess that it was corrupted somehow before it was installed in you set, although if your set identifies the firmware as the "current version" it may not allow you to re-run it although I think it is worth a try. In any case, I am confident that an install of the original firmware or BIOS will correct the problem if it is in fact the firmware that is the issue. I have seen items go bad during the flashing of firmware or BIOS, I guess the "added stress" that the unit goes through during that process can sometimes prompt a component to fail as it was about to do and the "flash" was a "nail in the coffin" so to speak. Well I am going to look to see if I can find the earlier firmware that you will need if the "re-flash" won't correct the problem. There are forums out there that offer all kinds of software for these TV's and I go to one at times, it may have what you need so I will be back to let you know.
Dan

Collapse -
Firmware can't be rolled back
by LanthY / November 11, 2012 10:54 AM PST

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Unfortunately the firmware can't be rolled back on this unit, or so I am told by two Samsung support reps. If I try to reinstall current firmware I get a "same version" message and nothing happens.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung TV stops working after firmware update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2012 5:47 AM PST

Hi LanthY,

If you'll provide me with your transaction number for the phone call, I can look in on the issue if you'd like for me to.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Issue number
by LanthY / November 12, 2012 7:43 AM PST

Thank you for the offer to help. The issue number is 2115822493. I hope I got it right.
Please check is that's the case, and if you have any suggestions, I am happy to try them.

Collapse -
Poor customer service
by LanthY / November 13, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Issue number

Just to let you know that Samsung support is trying to blame the customer, saying that I should not have performed this upgrade unless there was a problem with the TV. There were no instructions to this effect in relation to the firmware upgrade.
Samsung refuses to solve the problem, and they refuse to take responsibility for what it is a faulty firmware upgrade! What message do they send to their customers: put out a faulty firmware upgrade, and once the customer acts on it tell them it's their fault and they should deal with it! This is very wrong!

Collapse -
Found fix!
by LanthY / November 13, 2012 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Poor customer service

A friend pointed out a separate forum thread with the exact same issue and a fix!
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12542_102-293623/ln-t4061f-tv-messed-up-after-firmware-upgrade/

The following fix worked for me as well:
0. Set the TV onto an unused source so you have a black or blue screen. This makes reading the menu easier in later steps.
1. Turn the TV off.
2. On the remote, press MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER
3. The TV will turn on into service mode. It takes a few seconds after powering on to display the service menu.
4. Using the arrow buttons on the remote, go down to Option Byte and press Enter.
5. Arrow down to "Lvds Tx Fmt" and press Enter.
6. Using the right and left arrow buttons, change the setting. Mine was set to JEIDA. Setting it to VESA fixed things.
7. Press Menu to exit.
8. Turn the TV off to apply the changes.

It's a pity Samsung let's this issue persist even if seems to be known, and also that despite talking to multiple support reps, none had suggested going through the above sequence.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.