Samsung forum

Question

samsung tv screen goes blank by itself - help?

by blbl86 / November 26, 2012 1:50 PM PST

samsung dlp 50" hdtv (bought in 2006) goes blank by itself after a couple of hours of viewing satellite. satellite receiver is connected to tv with hdmi cable (same thing happens with component cables). not sure if it happens with dvd player, don't watch long enough or it just doesn't happen with dvd? lamp is new (old lamp did same thing), screen goes dark, audio still on, lamp still on, no picture. to get it to work again i have to turn the tv off and turn it back on again. it comes back on quickly. this can happen several times over a few hours of watching the tv. have dusted with compressed air inside the tv. colour wheel is only 14 months old. any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung tv screen goes blank by itself - help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung tv screen goes blank by itself - help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's check something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 12:56 AM PST

How long since it was serviced?

Why I ask is these sets need a little TLC every so often with the tech cleaning vents, checking fans and more. But no one tells you that it seems.

In other words, sounds like heat buildup.
Bob

Collapse -
re: Let's check something.
by blbl86 / December 4, 2012 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Let's check something.

I have had the back off and dusted it with compressed air. There was very little dust anywhere. The fan is also operating properly. In addition to problem mentioned above (picture going black while lamp remains on, which is happening several times each evening), now the dvd audio is raspy. Satellite audio is perfect. I have tried new cables, switching from component (rgb) cables to RCA, connecting dvd player to other inputs including the one the satellite usually is connected to, dvd player works perfectly connected to a different tv. I have tried troubleshooting every possibility. Someone suggested the capacitors may be failing. If this is the problem, does anyone have any idea how much it may cost to replace the capacitors? I can buy a new tv for $700-800 (same size and brand), so I don't want to be nickel-and-dimed to death with this one. If it were a heat buildup issue, you would think the tv would need to cool for a bit before it would come back on; however, it turns on as soon as I restart it after the picture goes black. ??

Collapse -
The symptom does not match bad caps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 1:49 PM PST

The current bad caps plague symptom is issues at cold temps or when it's first turned on. Your set symptoms point me to heat issues. If the cleaning didn't help the usual tech will swap boards. Be sure to do your user serviceable items like check for firmware updates first.

Then about the other old age issue. Heatsink compound can dry and cease to do its work. Your older tv shop will pull the heatsinks if there is any sign of this issue and apply fresh compound. DEFINITELY not user serviceable. Even techs just swap boards.
Bob

Collapse -
re: The symptom does not match bad caps
by blbl86 / December 4, 2012 3:32 PM PST

Is the firmware update something I can do? If I thought I could have the tv repaired for a couple of hundred dollars, I would consider it. Diagnosis alone is $50. Then if the heat sink was serviced and the board replaced on top of that, would it be smarter to replace the tv since this may be the beginning of other issues? I will try to update the firmware first and see if that resolves the problem. Stay tuned Happy Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
If you check the Samsung site.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 1:08 AM PST

It appears to be work that is considered user serviceable.

As to the other questions, I need new batteries for my crystal ball but those are on back order.
Bob

PS. In other words I can't tell the future.

Collapse -
re: If you check the Samsung site
by blbl86 / December 5, 2012 8:33 AM PST

According to Samsung, there are no firmware updates for this tv. I will take your advice and look into replacing the board. Thanks for your help!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.