Samsung

Rant

Samsung TV - playing files over wifi

by Rubinsteindvorak / January 17, 2013 6:09 AM PST

Hello everybody.
I bought a UE40D6500 3d Samsung television about a year ago and I just spent $450 on a NAS server and a good router so that I could play my blu-ray files over the internet instead of having to unplug my hard drive and then plug it back again, which is very annoying especially when you don't have anything better than a USB 2.0 port that takes forever to load.
So I tried to stream MKV files but, of course, he did not work. I had heard from a friend that you could change the extension of the file to .avi and that would be enough to make it work. The problem is that when I do that the file just disappears. I tried to turn off the tv and turned it back on again but did not work. I changed the extension back to .mkv and the file came back after a quick check.

Does anybody know what to do? I feel very frustrated as I have spent a lot of money on this (I'm a film major).
Thanks a lot for your time!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV - playing files over wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV - playing files over wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
typo
by Rubinsteindvorak / January 17, 2013 6:13 AM PST

it did not work*

Collapse -
Just updated the Samsung networking post. Lots o'tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: typo

Top post at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7589_102-378511/samsung-owners-start-here/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

New one specifically about those pesky router firewalls at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7589_102-5412417.html?tag=posts;msg5412417

But I'm left to guess if this is a network issue or an encoding issue. Let's me put this on a line all its own.

-> What encoding plays on USB does not mean it will play over a network connection. !!!!!

That fact has caused a lot of folk grief. Again, this is not a PC so the decoding is limited.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes but
by Rubinsteindvorak / January 17, 2013 6:26 AM PST

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I should have added that I can play mp4 without any problem whatsoever, and I can access my MKV files but it just won't play them, and only when I change the extension that the files just disappear.
Everything I've found online is that changing your file to a .avi is the solution, I can't find anybody who's had this issue before, everybody seems to agree that the .avi extension thingy works, so I'm even more frustrated.

I would doubt that it's a router issue since it plays every other file, but I tried to play my MKV .avi file after shutting down the firewall but the problem persists.

Collapse -
Then the encoding looks to be incompatible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Yes but

I see you have the firewall and more out of the way but again. I repeat...

Encoding matters. MKV is NOT AN ENCODING. It's a CONTAINER. Renaming it might or might not work. You've tried it and see the results.

Take a MKV that works and look at its encoding (I use various tools like VLC PLAYER or MEDIA INFO.)
Now transcode the MKV to that encoding and it should play.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob,
by Rubinsteindvorak / January 17, 2013 7:46 AM PST

Thank you for your reply.

I transcoded a Matroska Video MKV file into a .mpg using mkv2vob and it does seem to work now, but I wonder if there's another (easier) solution? Cause that means that I will have to have a copy of all my blu-ray files in another format... a blu-ray file is already huge (12gb minimum), so that means that each film will take 24gbs of space (+ the long hour it takes to transcode) sounds like a bit of a hassle, doesn't it?
And I've tried the .avi solution with all my MKV's from different sources and in different sizes and none worked, I find it hard to believe that it's not something else that's causing it? My friend who has the same kind of tv has never had any problems streaming from his PC (he is not using a NAS like me though).

Thank you again for your time,
N.

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Bob,

USB playback decoding does differ from over the network. I don't want to repeat that discussion. One is not the other and if you press Samsung on this they point you to the manual which lists the encodings they support.

Since MKV is a container you can put MPEG in there as well (but may have little size effect.)

You say MP4 worked so why not try more of those?

And a tip. I use HANDBRAKE a bit but there are far too many transcoders for me to know the one you like.

And a nod to media players. I use a few and my favorite is still ... laptop ...
Bob

Collapse -
by Rubinsteindvorak / January 17, 2013 5:28 PM PST

Hello,

I know that USB playback differs from WIFI playback, I meant that my friend was still streaming over the wifi (dlna) but directly from his PC. I have a Mac so it's a bit more complicated cause all dlna applications I've tested were not successful.
MP4 works when it's not HD. So I have to transcode every time, creating two different files. I guess there's nothing I can do. I will send my friend one of my files and see if he can stream it to his tv over the wifi. If he can, then I really don't know I can't.
I will try Handbrake! mkv2vob is nice and free but it doesn't seem to do well when transcoding more than one video...

Thank you,
N.

Collapse -
Read this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
Mmh
by Rubinsteindvorak / January 19, 2013 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Read this link.

The server doesn't fail, the file just disappears. I don't know if that's failing.
Can I just ask you one thing: when you use Handbrake to convert an MKV file into a MP4, what is your Constant Quality?
I tried 1, checked the "larger size file" box, h264 for Otto e Mezzo (2 hours and 15 minutes) in 720p and the file weight 35gbs instead of 8 for the original file....

I've never used Handbrake before, I used to use Miro Video Converter but it won't include subtitles and half of my films are foreign so...
I'm trying QP 15 now but it looks like it's going to be pretty similar size wise....

Thank you!

Collapse -
I can't answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Mmh

I use the defaults so I don't know.

-> Use a working title to get details from. I suggest MEDIA INFO if you don't have anything to inspect the encoding with.

As to titles that vanish, yup. That's proper and should be in the manual. Titles that it can't decode are not displayed. And that's not etched in stone. Titles it can't play may display.

Why this is, is a long story of how we got here in video encoding.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.