Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung tv ( LN32B650 ) timer complaint

by ilovitz / August 25, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

I've seen past related postings on this forum without a satisfactory
response from Samsung Tech, so I'm raising the general issue again.

I am currently considering buying an LN32B650. HOWEVER, I have been
using my old tv as an alarm clock and therefore need a tv that
supports on/off timer(s). From what I've seen, the Samsung LN line
timers only support RF (antenna/cable) and USB video sources. These
days, with most users going to HD cable, the timers NEED to be able to
select HDMI/component inputs. This is a complaint I've seen mentioned
here in one form or another repeatedly. I would think this limitation
could be easily fixed with a downloadable software update ( just add
the other video inputs to the selection list - under normal operation,
video input switching is already software controlled - no?).

At this point, because of this failing, I'm actually reconsidering
the Sony XBR9 or the Sharp LE700 ( just need to find someone to
build an external controller to provide the timer functionality using
that set's RS232 control interface - klugy but doable)

So, Samsung, how about creating some customer satisfaction and
providing a fix ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung tv ( LN32B650 ) timer complaint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung tv ( LN32B650 ) timer complaint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 25, 2009 2:30 PM PDT

ilovitz,

I can recall seeing this request maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. I'm not suggesting it's not a good idea, but firmware is not as easy to program as many people think.

RF was selected because it's a connection that will deliver a picture without a secondary box needing to be on. Same with USB.

If HDMI-1 is selected, the television might turn on. But unless the cable/sat box is on (which requires you to leave it on all night), no picture is going to show up. A DVD player, likewise, wouldn't wake you up with content even though it will turn on with a disc in the tray - it would have to repeat all night, or it will wake you up to the menu. So the logic behind the decision makes sense to some degree (in that it wasn't just a thoughtless decision), but instead serves to be not something that meets your needs.

If there are numerous threads elsewhere, I'd be happy to take a look. But if it doesn't meet your needs, I encourage you to get something that delivers a solution for your needs. The other option is to wake up to OTA television or a thumbdrive movie with content that you want to wake up to, and then switch the channel.

I'm guessing this is not an answer you're excited about, but hopefully at least serves as an explanation to your inquiry.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by ilovitz / August 25, 2009 10:40 PM PDT

1. I'm pretty certain that there are more than 4-5 people interested in this
modification/fix. Most people tend to be quiet and not post. The fact that there
have been additional requests for this change after repeatedly getting
discouraging replies should be considered significant. Anyone else in this forum
care to speak up and help me prove my point?

2. I'll bet that everyone who asks for this modification want this for a cable
connection, NOT a DVD/blueray player or anything else. RF was OK a few years
ago. Now digital/HD tv is the RULE of the land. In the past, many people went
to cable because of poor RF reception; DTV reception is MUCH more problematic
and will push many more to cable/sat. And on most (all?) cable/sat boxes, you
MUST use HDMI to get an HD signal ( inf fact, I wonder how many more years these
boxes will offer even a low-def RF output, if they do so at all now). So, on a
2009 model set (the US DTV law was passed in 2005 with an original target date
of Feb 2009), I would argue the design decision is at least 1-2 years out of
date.

3. From the cable/sat boxes I've seen, these devices now (and probably for a
number of years) offer their own (VCR/on/off) timers, so arranging to have them
turn on and tuned to the desired channel is not an issue.

4. I've been programming for over 20 years ( admittedly not embedded devices).
However, the current timer source field is ALREADY a selection list. I'll
assume, if control memory space is tight, a generic function is used by all
control modules to select input source. All that should be required is to expand
the list by at least ONE HDMI, if not all 8 input sources. ( in fact, switching
to HDMI or component should be easier than RF or USB --- no secondary
information is required ( channel, file, etc)

5. few things turn off (potential) customers more than vendor arrogance.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 27, 2009 5:15 PM PDT

ilovitz,

I gave this a day to bump it back up to the top of the threads. Let's see if your theory proves to be correct.

I'm a pretty open guy when it comes to passing your comments upwards.

Modifying firmware is not easy, it's not a quick process and it isn't inexpensive. Those are the facts. So if a change is to be made like that, it would have to go across the entire product line and it has to be justified to spend the hours and time to do that.

I think adding more options for the timer is a good idea. It may be that we hear little feedback on it that it stays status quo - we can't respond to people who "tend to be quiet and don't post". I'll do what I can to bring attention to the issue. I don't like to see anyone unhappy or without a solution.

Rather than arrogance, I humbly submit that I don't foresee it being changed based on the number of responses. And even if it was overwhelming, it's not always something that we can do in product mid-life. Any additional responses would definitely go a long way into showing the popularity of modifying the feature as it is.

I apologize if that sounds discouraging, but I try to be straight-forward and not offer unrealistic expectations.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I'll be loud and post
by sethweinstein / September 23, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

I recently replaced my bedroom TV with a Samsung LN19B650 based largely on the fact that I played around with it in the store and found that it had a wake-up timer (the guy at Best Buy originally told me there weren't any TVs with this feature).

Then I brought it home and found I could wake up only to white noise, because there's no way to set it to wake up to HDMI.

I found this forum while looking for a solution. Please count me as another person dismayed by this drawback. I may return the TV if there's no workaround.

Thanks,
Seth

Collapse -
I guess this is the only workaround
by sethweinstein / September 23, 2009 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll be loud and post

I suppose the only workaround is to connect the RF line out from the cable box to the TV. I can't wake up to HDTV, but I suppose my eyesight would be fuzzy enough in the morning anyway. Then I have to re-set the source to HDMI after the TV is already on.

Clumsy and surprising, but acceptable enough.

Collapse -
RE: : I guess this is the only workaround
by ilovitz / September 23, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

except ...
It is uncertain how much longer the low-def RF output will be provided by the
cable boxes ( the cable companies would love to implement full copy protection,
the reason I believe only low def RF is provided ... for now). So while that may work for now, it might not in the future.

Also, a little FYI: I was talking to someone who was involved in tv repairs, and he told me that on a fair number of cable boxes, the RF output voltage is too high
for the RF tuner input, resulting in the eventual failure of the tuner and/or flyback transformer.

Collapse -
I guess this is the only workaround
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 26, 2009 4:39 PM PDT

sethweinstein,

I will pass these comments up. I apologize that I didn't get to the post sooner. If you prefer to wake up to something that you know you like (such as music or a video), I believe there is also the option to have the thumbdrive play content as well.

But I catch the full scope of your comments, and I'm glad you spoke up.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Workaround
by Two_Feathers / October 21, 2010 10:41 PM PDT

I have been trying to get this to work with the USB. I tried videos in MPEG format which will play if selected through the SOURCE options but will NOT auto-play with the Alarm feature. Also, the manual says that a window pops-up when the USB device is plugged in. That does not happen. What formats and what kinds of files can be put on the USB that will alto-play with the alarm and what step-by-step procedures actually work?

Collapse -
Not with mine.
by Two_Feathers / October 16, 2010 6:02 AM PDT

I have DirecTV receiver and it does NOT have a way to do that; RFs in but no RF out. Tried the RCA jack input but it did not push a video or audio to the TV that would come up with the "Alarm" went off.

Collapse -
I'll join the load hail for support here, too.
by garyconor / June 11, 2013 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll be loud and post

I have also encountered this issue (its now 2013 and this is still unresolved nearly 4 years later!!!)

Most set-top boxes, either cable or sattelite remain on (or have timers to switch themselves on).

Adding to the drop-down list of items should not be "rocket science" as you know all of the AV inputs (and if they're active); when selecting an alternate source, if a device is in active it is greyed out. The timer source select should be able to work using the same code/infrastructure.

I await, without holding my breath, in anticipation of a software upgrade to allow for this functionality.

Other than this minor gripe, I have found the TV to be an excellent to my living room.

Many thanks,
Gary.

Collapse -
Insane
by jameshuston / October 15, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

I just replaced my Sharp TV with the Samsung because it has a wake timer. I researched it got the manual online and bought the system. I put it up on the wall in my master bedroom and guess what its only on air or USB....I have dish network high def....I can't believe there are only two options of usb and cable. This is October 2010. Can I download a firmware update or do I need to take this back to the store and get a Panasonic? I did my research but was deceived by a Manual which does not indicate it is worthless if you have HDTV.

Collapse -
To explain this we have to discuss HDMI first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Insane

I can see where folk would dismiss all this tech stuff so if you want, start a new thread about HDMI and how that is an issue for a wake up.

But rather than annoy anyone with the technicals let's skip to solutions. Have you looked at the old IRBLASTERs?
Bob

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2010 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Insane

jameshuston,

Here's the manual page.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/USBtuner.jpg

It says TV or USB, and then goes on to offer the options of "Antenna" or "cable". If people want to say that's deception, I'm not sure how I can respond to that. It lists what it can do in the manual.

We offer 800-SAMSUNG, toll free for pre-sales as well as post sales support. We have a section on our website to ask questions prior to purchase. We participate in forums like C|Net.

As noted to a different poster, I'll be sending these complaints to the appropriate department.

If this is a dealbreaker, then I understand that. If returning it for something different makes you happier, then do that. I don't want people to be upset for owning our product. I'd much rather you be happy with something else and consider us in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
A Solution is Urgently Needed
by hamarneh / March 1, 2012 1:20 AM PST

I add my voice to those who are asking for an urgent solution to this very basic and popular functionality.

Collapse -
should be fixed by now 2011
by wags407 / July 14, 2011 5:48 AM PDT

I too find this to be a pain! I love waking up to the TV because it gives my mind something to focus on and stay awake. I had an old Samsung 32in LCD from 2008 that would not let me select any other source but RF. This frustrated big time. Now I just purchased 2011 LED 6900 3D with Smart TV and it still doesn't allow you select a different source!! 3 years and this isn't fixed yet?? I'm really considering returning it because of this. It's horrible that everything is used by HDMI these days you can't make that port available?? The funny thing is when you go to add another source it comes up with this HUGE page implying you can add a bunch of sources but NOPE!

Collapse -
timer complaint
by er_more2013 / December 4, 2013 1:06 AM PST

Well, ask LG why they do have the HDMI option activated, probablly they do belive is useful.
I am looking on buying 1000 tv's with that option.

Collapse -
With that many units.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2013 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: timer complaint

You should forget the forum and talk directly to Samsung.

In the USA I'd start at 1800SAMSUNG.
Bob

Collapse -
The timer design is useless...
by scottw49 / September 26, 2009 3:07 PM PDT

I too bought this TV for the master bedroom and like to use the TV as an alarm. As designed, the timers are completely useless (all four of them) for anyone with an HD setup. I was livid after installing this TV and discovering this fact - I worked my way up the phone support ladder letting them know of my displeasure.

I'm not a technical guy, but I simply do not understand why you would design an HD TV with timers that only work with a non-HD source. My HD DirecTV box doesn't even have an RF out.

Collapse -
count me as another upset customer
by mattmo10587 / October 23, 2009 1:53 AM PDT

You can count me as another customer who can't believe this isn't an option. I run a HTPC setup, connected to the Samsung TV for Vista Media Center. Although I understand the thought that any other input than RF needs a separate timer, many of the home theater products out there now/cable boxes have their own timer. As for me, waking my HTPC up was a simple task of a home-brew PC alarm clock. As someone who's worked in an Info Systems for years, I also understand how even simple changes can be difficult to implement. But at the same time, designing modern devices that attempt to guess how a user will use them, and allow no other possibilities, winds up being a foolish path IMHO. I'd love to see a firmware update to this.

Collapse -
Count as another
by Brewske / October 23, 2009 4:22 AM PDT

Anynet+/HDMI Issue
by Brewske - 9/19/09 12:22 AM In reply to: Update to anynet issue by Samsung_HD_Tech
I've had similar issues. I have a LN52B750 tv w/ a BD-P4600 and Dish HD Satellite DVR all connected to a Yamaha RX-V565 Home Theater. The receiver may be unique, in that it has the capability of turning HDMI signals on or off and also the the ability of allowing them through in Standby mode or not. My story starts with the TV with FW 1008. With this with the HT HDMI and Standy both set to ON, the anynet+ would see the HT but not add it to the Anynet+ list. When I would turn on the TV with the HT connected to Dish the BD automatically would Switch on and change the HDMI control on the HT to the BD. When I'd switch it back to Dish quickly it would again switch it back to the BD. After that I would again switch the HT to Dish. It would stay on Dish for maybe 15 minutes until the BD would turn off, causing the TV to switch from the HDMI input that it was getting the Dish feed from, to the off air "fuzz". Thus requiring me to change the source back to the HT, via the tv remote. Quite annoying as you can imagine. It gets longer. If I turn of the HDMI and the passthrough then I can still turn on the BD from the TV remote with out it switching the HT automatically and all of the other drama mentioned. Not what I want it to do but ok. The other day after I checked out the samsung support site and found these forums I noticed the 1010.4 FW. I downloaded it went home and checked my tv. My tv was reporting a 1012 FW available. I figured I'd go with the newest firmware but wanted to check with a tech before doing so. I contacted Samsung tech support and asked what the firmwares were meant to address. After skirting the question for quite a while he asked what kind of problems I was having. I said some anynet/hdmi issues and he said that the FW could address that go ahead and install it. I did install the 1012. It basically acted the same as the 1008 FW with the exception some menu items were greyed out that previously weren't and when you went to set up anynet+ it had a option of receiver on/off. I set receiver on and tryed it out with the HT settings turned on. It acted basically the same as 2008 with the BD switching everything and eventually turning the tv to "fuzz". I didn't like it so I rolled back to 2008 and figured I would try the 1010 FW and see if it was any better. The 1010 FW acted about the same but when I used the volume on the tv remote it actually popped up with the Receiver model info under a anynet+ sign. Oh and when you turned off the tv, the HT would also turn off. Pretty handy. But with the BD doing the same crud it wasn't worth the hassle for me. So now my HT HDMI settings are both turned off. I was debating rolling back to 2008 FW again when I noticed that now my tv is offering a 1011 FW. Not sure if I want to try that one as well. Perhaps I should call tech support for Samsung and Yamaha and maybe between the two of them I can atleast get my system working right and possibly help them figure out what the conflict is. Seems like it should be as easy as making the HT the "master" of the system so to speak, guess not, must be some sort of HDCP conflict. Seems like it's definitely between the tv and BD. Just wanted to let everyone know it seems Samsung really is working hard to get this issue worked out. I'm guessing since it doesn't seem like anyone at Samsung wants to tell what all the TV firmware updates address, they haven't quite gotten it solved but feel they are close to the fix. HD-Tech, can you shed some light on it or maybe give me some ideas to try to get the anynet+/hdmi-cec working? By the way, thanks for all your hard work and the hard work everyone else is doing. I really, really love my TV and BD. Had a few issues with the BD, did FW update. Perfect. Just finished updating the newest FW's on the BD tonight. Will let you know if I have any problems but I'm suspecting not. Thanks again in advance for any help or info you may be able to give.

Post 7 of 10 | Next unread | Back to topDiscussion lockedReplyPermalinkReport offensive postE-mail to friend [ x ] CloseYou are e-mailing to a friend: CNET Forums: Anynet+/HDMI Issue
E-mail this to: (Separate multiple e-mail addresses with commas. Limited to 10 addresses.)

Your full name: (Optional)

Your e-mail address:

Send me a copy of this message
Note: Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipients's address wil be used for any other purpose.
Add your own personal message: (Optional)
I found this post in the CNET forums and thought you would be interested in reading it.

ProcessingPost 8 of 10 | Next unread | Back to topAny updates?
by ABarisol - 10/8/09 6:21 AM In reply to: Anynet settings (if available) question by Samsung_HD_Tech
If there is a firmware update will this thread be notified? I too am disappointed in the Anynet "feature" of returning to the COAX input. It would be nice if the product managers could add a setting for a "Default Video Source" that the system always returns to or selects on power-up.

I'm also a recent Sony convert and I really like the picture quality of my Sammy (LN40A650) but this Anynet issue is quite an annoyance.

This has been posted elsewhere but seems to be basically the same issue. Maybe both could be done at once if possible.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Collapse -
Alarm timer frustration
by scottydog123 / November 18, 2009 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Count as another

Count me in as another very disatisfied customer with this television. I bought it for the master bedroom and use my tv as an alarm. I messed with this for several days and read the manual front to back. After numerous calls to tech support, Samsung finally admitted that it was not possible with an HDMI connection.

WTF....why sell an HD tv with a timer that wont come on on HD? I am going to return this tv if I can't find and acceptable work around. I dont understand this at all. It seems short sighted and hard headed to me. Come on Samsung...you put the timer functionality in the software....just make it useable. I dont think that most people purchase these sets for low def use.

Collapse -
Add me to the list!
by jhindmon / November 19, 2009 12:31 PM PST

Please add me to the list of folks that want HDMI selectable as a source for the timer!!!

I have no other sources in my bedroom other than an always-on HDMI source. Timer is completely useless to me as it is. My previous old crap tv worked great as an alarm clock, and I *love* the picture on this new Samsung TV (PN42B450), but I cannot use the timer function at all without being able to select HDMI as the auto-on source.

Stick the options in there please! I just downloaded a firmware update from Samsung hoping it would have the new feature. But nope. So I searched some forums and here I am. Hope this gets added one day soon ... I miss my TV timer!

Collapse -
Me too.
by mrbort / January 13, 2010 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Add me to the list!

I'm shocked that this feature (that should be a no-brainer) is missing even though it's included as a disabled (apparently) hook-in to the Timer GUI.

Count me as a disappointed, vocal and visible Samsung owner regretting my decision.

Collapse -
Count me in too
by martybm5 / February 22, 2010 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Me too.

I'm signing up for this forum for the express purpose of voicing my disappointment in what seems like a 'no-brainer' feature.

Samsung needs to 'step up to the plate' and do a firmware update that addresses this.

Collapse -
Me as well
by baldbert / August 1, 2010 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Count me in too

I thought I was my own stupidity for not being able to get my Samsung to turn on in the morning to hdmi. But apparently it is Samsungs stupidity.
I currently own for Samsung TV's, I sure an glad I only need 1 to turn on in the A.M.

Collapse -
no alarm = no good
by comcastblows / August 9, 2010 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Me as well

Add me to the list of people ticked about no longer being able to use the alarm feature on my bedroom Samsung LN32 series. Cable company recently required digital boxes on all TVs. After installing this the alarm feature is grayed out and will not work. There has to be a sensible work-around. My brand new Comcast cable box has no on/off switch so being off is not the problem. It is on 24/7 keeping the electric meter running.

Collapse -
LED TV user manual - page 20
by Two_Feathers / November 2, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

According to the above refernced manual: "Contents (When source is set to USB): Select a folder containing music or photo files to be played when the TV is turned on automatically." This implies that only music or photos will work with the "Alarm" feature. Also, the document specifies what file format is acceptible for Video files but not Audio ("Music") files. As I am still trying to get to work; help is appreciated.

Collapse -
I'm left to guess what the question is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 2:50 AM PDT

If it's about what audio file types I'd try MP3 first.
Bob

Collapse -
File Types
by Two_Feathers / November 2, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

Yes. What file formats for the audio files is the question. Have tried several that would "play" if I changhed the Source and selected them but all I get is a black screen with the "Alarm" feature. Was hoping for Video but the User Manual "implies" that it won't do video with the alarm even though I can play videos.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: File Types

Just suggesting you try MP3.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.