Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TV Keeps turning off and on.

by VonSnuggles / November 3, 2009 8:04 AM PST

Hello,

If my LN-T4053H TV is off for a long period of time (hour or more, it seems), then when I turn it on, it repeatedly turns off and on by itself for a minute or two before finally staying on.

I just hit the power button once and sit there and wait as the standby light goes off and on and the TV clicks off and on. Eventually it stays on, but I am afraid that eventually it is going to stop even that.

It started last week sometime. The TV is about 2 years old, and is out of warranty.

Any ideas on what it could be, as well as any tricks/fixes for it?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV Keeps turning off and on.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV Keeps turning off and on.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS
by VonSnuggles / November 3, 2009 8:14 AM PST

PS

I looked around more and noticed, obviously, that I am not alone. I am just curious, since my TV is turning on right now, and hasn't reach the endless loop, dead-TV stage, is there anything I can do at this point?

Collapse -
PS
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 3, 2009 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: PS

VonSnuggles,

We're investigating symptoms that are similar to this, but I don't have the outcome yet. Until then, unfortunately, the unit is out of warranty. If you'd like to appeal that, you can call 800-SAMSUNG and start the process to see if something can be done.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Issues
by darkknight81 / December 12, 2009 9:39 PM PST

Seems that there a lot of people with these problem Samsung TV's. Is Samsung doing anything to take care of these customers? At this point it doesn't appear to be a few isolated incidents. You guys are going to have something on your hands worse than the MS red ring of death lawsuits with Xbox.
What am I supposed to do with a Samsung TV thats 2+ years old that has this problem? People have tried everything from replacing the main board to having new capacitors added and re-soldering circuits.
-Angry and frustrated Samsung customer

Collapse -
Same problem on and off
by jbages23 / December 13, 2009 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Issues

I have a LN40A550, about 16 months old, I have to look at my purchased date if I am inside the extra 3 months. This problem is all over forums on the internet, various TV models. Some people re-solder parts others change boards,, what is Samsung doing? Its not a $35
toater oven , that when it breaks just buy a new one.. I have a 10 yr old Sony 43" proj tv no problems, still works, and an LG 44" LCD that needed a bulb change after 10K hrs .Just a bit annoyed and had to vent. Honestly, has Samsung addressed this issue. they are, I believe the #1 selling TV in the US.

Collapse -
Power Cycling On and Off
by Kingeptacon / December 15, 2009 11:43 AM PST

jbadges, I have a Sammy LN46A650 that I bought 11/17/08. My warranty ran out 29 days ago. I just started having the power cycling problems. What is this, "I have to look at my purchased date if I am inside the extra 3 months" mean? Does Samsung give you a 3 month grace period or something?

Collapse -
Power Cycling On and Off
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2009 10:31 AM PST

Kingeptacon,

If you register online, and you're a U.S. customer, the warranty is extended by three months.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yes Samsung does
by eric61968 / January 10, 2010 6:51 PM PST

If no one has said yet Samsung does give an extra 3 months and that is in home service for any tv over 26 inches. Good luck. I'm very close to my warranty being up and it died on me yesterday. The warranty is with the extension.

Collapse -
Ugh.
by tfragile / March 1, 2010 11:18 AM PST

I have the same model and the same problem. I purchased my SAMSUNG LNA4055 in September of 2008 and have noticed over the past couple of weeks that sometimes I would turn on the TV and there would be sound, but no picture...I would just turn it off and back on and it would work properly, but tonight I came home and the TV just keep turning itself on and off again (like it was trying to reboot...there would be the chime when it "turned on" and the chime when it "turned off"...this happened every few seconds with no picture or audio. I called 800-samsung and the guy was NO HELP at all...did not even offer me any troubleshooting tips. I tried unplugging it and letting it set for a bit, but that did not help either. THANK GOODNESS I purchased the extended 5 yr warranty from HH Gregg and they are sending out a local repair man on Wednesday. I cannot believe all of the threads that I have found on this subject dating back from a few years...has samsung addressed this issue at all??!! I have been an avid samsung buyer and this has definitely made me lose faith after the tons and tons of complaints that I have read.

Collapse -
extended warranty
by natex45 / March 1, 2010 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Ugh.

Good for you on getting the extended warranty..!
If your tv goes anything like mine it will pay for itself very quickly...!!!!
3 days after first using my 52" 650(09-20-08) it would cycle on and off and the channels would scroll. Fixed under warranty and I didn't see much on the inside the tech DIDN'T replace...! Told me that it would have been about a $600 service call if no warranty.
NOW it's going on and off AGAIN and IF it should get a picture it's nothing but lines. Can only imagine how much THIS will cost.
Sooooo....it appears from my experience that if you do happen to choose a Samsung product you can figure on paying a premium price and then have to cough up another $600+ a year to keep it running...!!!
Guess I've learned an expensive lesson....maybe it will make a good boat anchor...:)

Collapse -
Report Samsung
by natex45 / March 1, 2010 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: Ugh.

Consumer affairs has reported and dramatic increase in Samsung complaints in the past month...over 120 in the last month.
Report your experiences to them...ConsumerAffairs.com
Click on 'complaint form' link at top of page.
Takes only a few minutes to fill out the complaint form.....might as well do it..you're not watching any TV...:)

Collapse -
Consumer Affairs
by eric61968 / March 2, 2010 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Report Samsung

I think I'll add the troubles I've had with my tv as well. Go to Consumer Affairs website and search samsung ln40a550. On the middle of the page click either of the two links labeled "Consumer Complaints About Samsung Tv" and look at how many complaints they have. It's a very long list. It would take half a day to read them all. It's not just about the LN40A550. It's about a lot of different models. I was a loyal Samsung customer until I had to deal with their customer service. The first guy was a complete jerk who couldn't get off the phone fast enough. Wasn't much better after that. After almost a week I finally got them to do something. To me if a company treats it's customers like crap I want nothing more to do with them. My next tv will be a Toshiba or Panasonic.

Collapse -
Good News
by natex45 / March 2, 2010 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Consumer Affairs

52" 650 is 1 1/2 years old and was turning on and off. Fixed once 3 days after purchase and down again now.
After talking to Samsung (ECR) my warranty was extended to a month past this date and repairs will be made under warranty...:):)
Maybe I got lucky or maybe Samsung finally figured out they have a real problem...! (The Toyota of TV's..!)

Collapse -
Toyota of TV's
by eric61968 / March 19, 2010 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Good News

The Toyota comment is hilarious and so true. I've been buying Samsung tv's and computer monitors for many years now. I hate to have to switch brands but I'm not willing to risk losing all that money anymore. One would think that their quality standards would be much higher considering they also build huge cargo container ships. At least I don't have to worry about my purchase possibly killing me by all of a sudden accelerating on it's own and not being able to stop it. I've been saying for many years that domestic autos are built as good as, or better than rice burners. Toyota has more than proved my point. I'd never buy a car that's not built by an American auto maker.

Collapse -
I AGREE
by kyleea0313 / December 1, 2010 3:56 AM PST

What can I do I got this television last year at this time and thought that it would be a waste to get the 1 year waranty because I have a televition from over 9 years ago that still works great what can we do how do I get my television fixed It started out by turniung itself on and off and now wont even turn on who do i contact on this has anyone found hope????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRR I am so ANGREE WITH SAMSUNG!! I bought this one due to the fact samsung was rated so highley well I will make sure this is well know to every one around me DON'T BUY SAMSUNG IF THEY DON'T WAN TO FIX THERE MISTAKES!!!

Collapse -
Whose mistake?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2010 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: I AGREE

If I research BAD CAPS it appears that some company other than Samsung did this.

Collapse -
powerup issue resolved
by draaisma / June 24, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

I had a similar issue I think..tv goes on, you hear the start-up sound and then black screen, hear the start-up sound again, black screen again....
started with a few, but quickly took a long time before the tv actually would start up and show pictures.

I googled and found that it was a common issue for tv's made between 2/2007 and 4/2008 and that it was related to a faulty batch of capacitators.

Called Samsung and they acknowledged it and after giving my serialnumber they told me that they would have a company come out and replace the powerboard (if indeed the capacitators were at fault). Otherwise it would cost me $100 just for them to come out.

So they came out (called in on Friday, came out next Wednesday), changed the board and the issue is gone!!!

Collapse -
Me too...again.
by eric61968 / June 25, 2010 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: powerup issue resolved

What sucks is I'm starting to have the problems like yours again. Sometimes when I turn mine on I get the black screen with a green line across the top. It does have sound. It doesn't matter how long or short a time it's been off for this to happen. Usually turning it off then right back on fixes the problem. After that it's anyone's guess as to when it will happen. It is simply maddening. Next year I'm going to buy a LED hdtv that's at least 50inches. I've looked at most of the new ones out there and Samsung has the best picture but I'm afraid I'll be buying a $2000 brick. I have a lot of thinking to do for sure. Good luck with yours.

Collapse -
re: me too...again
by draaisma / June 25, 2010 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too...again.

Not sure if this new problem you're having is the same, as the green line across the top seems to indicate another issue.
Also, capacitators load up...so after 10x on/off they are loaded and when you turn your tv off and almost immediatly on again, they should still be charged enough to just turn the tv on again.
I think the problem you're having is a new, unrelated, problem!

Collapse -
Solution for On/Off Problem
by wayne71150 / June 9, 2010 11:22 AM PDT

After reading all the posts on this forum, it appeared we were all having the same problem. I called the Samsung hotline 1-800-522-7341 and told them of the symptoms and that based on the info I read online I had the same Capacitor problems everyone else was having and asked whether or not Samsung had a recall for the problem. They checked my model number against a list of TV's that were produced with defective/underpowered capacitors and told me they'd send a service tech out to fix it, and if indeed, the problem was the capacitors, they'd fix it . . .for free.

The tech was here yesterday, knew exactly what the problem was as mine was the 5th one he'd fixed that day for the same reason, and had it up and running in 20 minutes. No charge.

Call Samsung and ask for this service. If your set qualifies and is having the same problem, you too should be able to get it fixed at no cost to you.

Collapse -
Solution for On/Off Problem by wayne 71150
by amberjava / October 3, 2010 2:10 AM PDT

Thanks to all of you who have posted and especially to Wayne for the phone number above. It goes directly to executive customer service and once we described the problem and gave them the serial number on the TV they scheduled a local repair company to come fix the capacitor issue. I'm thrilled that they didn't put up a fight and won't charge us a dime unless there is something else wrong with the TV. I doubt that though. It's only 3 years old and has worked beautifully until this past month when the problem started.

Thanks again! I don't think I would have received the same level of service if I had called any other number.

Collapse -
Also called Samsung today
by pennstatejoe21 / October 3, 2010 4:51 AM PDT

Hey everyone, I have a ln52a860 and the on/off problem started about a month ago. I called the number Wayne posted and they are having someone come out later this week. They said it is a known issue with my model and if it is in fact the capacitors they will fix it for free. I'm just wondering if I need my receipt or some proof of purchase. The store I bought it from closed and I think I shredded the receipt! Thanks to Wayne for the number!

Collapse -
Just called Samsung!
by Hillz4 / October 3, 2010 11:51 PM PDT

Thanks! This info has been very valuable. I called this morning, and they have dispatched me to a Authorized service repair company. As a reminder call the 800-522-7341, this is the executive customer service number. All you need is model, serial number! God luck and thanks Wayne.

Collapse -
Samsung TV turning on and off Capicitor
by rabbitzk / December 6, 2010 11:21 AM PST

Thanks so much for the info! My TV was only 1 1/2 years old. I followed your advice and called the number. Samsung extended my warranty and sent out the repairmen. It was the capacitor. They replaced it, and also the ballast and lamp. FOR FREE! Very glad I followed this thread. TV is as good as new now. DO call the number if you are having the same problem....it worked for me and I saved a bundle! 800-522-7341 - CS agents are very helpful.

Collapse -
Solution for On/Off Problem
by Kapolei_John / October 25, 2011 7:34 AM PDT

I called today... my unit qualified for a free fix... it was easy to schedule... My set is 6 years old...

Collapse -
(NT) Mine is 4 yrs old., but I have to pay. Same problem. WTH?
by djanecek1 / December 17, 2011 11:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Service call
by djanecek1 / December 17, 2011 11:21 AM PST

Thank you for your post... the number has changed however to 1-800-samsung. I called and they said there is no recall for this problem; I will have to pay for it. I don't know WHAT the cost will be until I get a service call back within 2 business days. If this is NOT a FREE service repair... I swear I will NEVER purchase a Samsung again. My TV has been clicking and clicking for the past 3 hours. I don't think it's going to turn back on this time. We are out of TV for at least 3 more days! How am I going to watch Dr. Phil??

Collapse -
Since you called and got your Transaction Number
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2011 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: Service call
Collapse -
On, off issue
by downtowner70 / December 4, 2010 5:23 AM PST

Been having the same problem and called 800-SAMSUNG and because of my model number they are going to service it for free. I just hope there aren't any other looming issues, because this is a one time free service call.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Problems suck
by my-tech / December 4, 2010 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: On, off issue

Iknow alot have problems but I would like to share something just incase....
We have a samsung plasma about 2-3 yrs old
1 day I turned it on and OMG it shut off, I tried again and same thing
I was in serious distress , I walked up to the tv and pressed power button on the front of the tv and it clicked as if partially stuck, well guess what again another day I turned on tv again to have it shut off.... I walked up to the tv and sure enough the power button on the front was stuck !!!!

I realize this may not fix everyones tv but it's worth it to check, I make everyone use the remote and never the power button on the front bc ours sticks and makes it shut off when it gets stuck !!!

Collapse -
CAP ISSUE - Fixed by Samsung for Free
by Saittica / December 30, 2010 5:40 AM PST

My Samsung LN52A650 had this problem. It happened on a Saturday and the TV would cycle forever and never turn on. We called 800-SAMSUNG the following Tuesday, their servicing company called us back on Wednesday, sent someone out on Thursday and it was fixed within 30 minutes.

Make sure when you call that they note on the ticket that it is the "CAPACITOR ISSUE". If your model qualifies, it will be fixed for free, no servicing fee or anything.

For ours they just replaced the 4 capacitors, they did not need to replace the whole motherboard. Technically we could have done this ourselves but if Samsung is willing to do it for free I would rather a professional fix it than fiddle around with it ourselves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.