Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TV Keeps Shutting Down

by frybecker / November 8, 2008 11:50 PM PST

I have a 4 year old Samsung TV (Model HLP5063WX). When I turn the TV on for the first time each day it shuts itself off within 30 seconds. It repeatedly shuts down anywhere from 10-12 times before it stops and we can watch the TV.

Has anybody else experience this issue and what did you do to correct?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV Keeps Shutting Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV Keeps Shutting Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lamp replacement?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2008 5:44 AM PST

Have you performed a lamp replacement on the unit yet?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Lamp replacement?
by frybecker / November 9, 2008 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Lamp replacement?

We have not. Is this a sign that the lamp needs replaced? This has been occuring off and on for several months.

Collapse -
In some cases....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2008 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Lamp replacement?

Frybecker,

When the unit turns off, there may be a light blinking on the front panel. Depending on the frequency and combination of that flashing, you can probably diagnose the issue if you still have the manual. If you don't, tell me which lights blink, and I'll dig up the manual here and help you diagnose it.

In some cases, it could be that the bulb isn't responding like it used to, which sends a signal to the board that there may be an issue. But before I get ahead of myself, if you could just describe the panel lights in the front the unit the next time you "cold-start" your television and it doesn't start, that would be the best step in the right direction.

Also, has it gotten worse in the last couple of months? Any detailed description you can provide (1-2 attempts, then 3-4 attempts, then 5-6 attempts...) that would give me some sort of progressive range would be helpful as well.

Tall order, I know, but information is power.

--HDTech

Collapse -
In some cases....
by frybecker / November 9, 2008 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: In some cases....

This morning the first two times it shut off the "Stand By/Temp" light came on. The third time the same signal came on plus the "Lamp" light was flashing. I also did notice that the first time I turned on the TV the "Timer" light flashed briefly. I had not seen this before.

I ususally have to restart the TV 10-12 times from a cold start every day. This has been occuring for the last 8-10 months.

Collapse -
Indicators on DLP
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 10, 2008 4:59 AM PST

Okay, here's a quick guide I copied from the manual.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/DLP5063WLamp.jpg

So we're narrowing it down to a couple of possibilities. It could be the lamp, or it could be the fan. If you can hear the fan, it's likely going to be your lamp.

Here's a Samsung_HD_Tech quick fix, and I'm throwing it out there because I've done this numerous times in my line of work, and more times than not, it works.

I'll walk you through a process that will "Re-seat your lamp". If you locate and open up the lamp housing, you'll see your lamp.

Here's an example of what you'll see:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/samsung-dlp-lamp-2.jpg

Now, if you either unscrew the two screws where the yellow arrows are, or the one screw where the red arrow is (Depending on the model you have), you'll be able to pull the lamp out a little. Don't worry, the screws shouldn't fall in the unit, as they should be attached to the lamp housing.

You don't have to pull the lamp all the way out (if you do, that's okay), but if you pull it out a little (6 inches or so), and then <b>firmly</b> push it back into place and rescrew it in, and close up your outer panel, that may very well fix your problem.

The outside panel does need to be back in for the television to turn on. There is a blue kill switch there, but you don't want to fool with that.

A few general rules here.
1. If you do pull the lamp all the way out, do not touch the glass face.
2. Perform this procedure while the lamp is cool, and preferably not after consecutively watching Star Wars Episode 1-6. Happy
3. If the first one doesn't take, try re-seating it again. It may take a few times to reset whatever is triggering the warning.

If it doesn't work, and you need a new lamp, you're already a pro at knowing how to install it. But I do think that if your brightness levels are acceptable, that a simple reseat may very well fix your problem and give you more time on that lamp.

So a recap: Unscrew the lamp, pull it out a little, firmly push it back in, rescrew the lamp, and close it up and see what happens. It sounds crazy, but if it fixes your problem without a service tech OR a new lamp, that'd be a good thing.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Indicators on DLP
by frybecker / November 24, 2008 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Indicators on DLP

Worked like a charm!

Thanks

Collapse -
Good news!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 24, 2008 6:05 AM PST

That's great to hear. Thanks for letting me know.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Tried it didn't work
by Samspin / July 7, 2013 8:31 AM PDT

Hi I have a Samsung hl72a650. Replaced lamp a year ago. Tv suddenly one day started to shut itself off and back on again. I have tried everything else I have researched online. Took lamp out and back in several times. When the tv comes on the picture is very bright and clear then suddenly the picture begins to loose color and shuts off and back on several times untill all 3 lights start blinking. I also started the tv with mute 182 power and selected options clear lamp, reset user settings and reset factory settings. I get the same result. If I leave tv off for a while ant reporter up the picture comes up again perfect for a few minutes then off again untill again all 3 lights start blinking

Collapse -
Re: didn't work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2013 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried it didn't work

Hi Samspin,

I saw your email to me and responded to it! Hope you get everything worked out!

HD Tech

Collapse -
hey
by RHINOLASVEGAS007 / December 14, 2014 6:31 AM PST

My samsung model HLR 6167 wx \ xaa tv turns on bulb comes on stays on for a few seconds and then shuts off on the front of the TV there is a red and green light flashing red light is [standby term] green light is [lamp] flashing

Collapse -
Samsung DLP HLN617WX Timer Light Flashing
by AzForgetMeNot / December 21, 2008 1:17 PM PST

Hi HD Tech ! I wanted to post off of this thread because I wanted my problem to be answered by you as you seem very knowledgeable about Samsung DLP televisions. Let me explain to you the problem I am having with my Samsung DLP tv Model# HLN617WX. The timer light is flashing green when I press the red off button on my remote. No other lights are flashing. The tv will not turn off with the remote or the side buttons on the tv. Nor will it turn off with my cable remote. I have looked at my manual and several combinations are listed as to what the lights mean when they are flashing or steady burn, but, not the timer light only. I replaced the lamp on it about two years ago, but, I don't know how many hours are on it. I am afraid to shut it off and try the Mute (or menu button) + 1 + 8 + 2 + power to see how many hours. I can hear the fan working and the tv makes no noises as to suggest it is the color wheel or ballast. Do you have any idea as to what this is ? Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Symptoms....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 22, 2008 6:05 AM PST

AZforgetmenot,

Thanks for your kind words.

I would definitely recommend reseating the lamp, as per the directions listed above. I don't know why, but that seems to solve many of the issues.

If that doesn't work, the symptoms where the buttons AND the remote don't allow you to power it off suggest that you probably require a service technician.

Try the re-seat and let me know how that works. I'll see what other information I can dig up on those symptoms.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Could it be the DMD Board ?
by AzForgetMeNot / December 22, 2008 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Symptoms....

Is there a way I could sent you a picture as to what the screen on the tv now looks like ?

Collapse -
Samsung DLP Model HLN617WX
by AzForgetMeNot / December 23, 2008 1:17 AM PST

Samsung HD Tech: Now when I press any button on the remote I have no power, not even the timer light blinks, unless I unplug the tv, press the mute(menu)+1+8+2 buttons, then the tv will turn on in regular mode, not the service mode. Yesterday, the screen, after the tv was on a few minutes had horizontal lines that looked like hundreds of tiny colored boxes, mostly blue, and no picture. Today we turned the tv on using the above "secret" code and turned it off and back on successfully twice by only pressing the tv and on buttons on the cable remote. The second time took a few moments for it to come back on, but, it did and then my son refused to let me try it again. As of right now, the tv has been on for about 45 minutes with no problems. Help !

Collapse -
Samsung DLP Model HLN917WX Ballast
by AzForgetMeNot / December 23, 2008 4:23 AM PST

Samsung HD Tech: Can you tell me what the ballast does in the tv ? I understand the ballast regulates the electricity flowing into the tv and maybe that is bad and is why I can't power the tv on? If it is the ballast can you let me know the part number I need to order ? Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Could be...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 23, 2008 6:32 AM PST

Azforgetmenot,

It could be a ballast. Does your lamp light up internally (look in the back and see if you see white light emitting from the vents)? If so, it's probably working correctly and you could probably narrow it down to the power supply or the DMD board. From there, it really takes a qualified technician to come out and figure out which one is the cause of the problem.

I wish I coul diganose it further, but we can probably narrow it down to one of those two things. To your credit, you've given some excellent descriptions; however, at this point, it's speculation at best.

If you're interested in getting parts, you can find all the available parts here at this website:
http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp

--HDTech

Collapse -
I think I figured it out !! Samsung Model HLN617WX
by AzForgetMeNot / December 23, 2008 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: Could be...

HD Tech:

I think I figured it out !! Yea !!! In May 2007 I replaced the lamp. At that time, I didn't know it was necessary to reset the lamp timer when the lamp is replaced. I also didn't know the "secret" code you enter in order to get to the service menu to reset it. Anyways, I reset the lamp timer a couple of days ago per instructions I gleaned from many websites, but, I didn't remove the lamp. I thought that would fix the issue, but, it did not. Only after you mentioned to me yesterday to remove the lamp and re-seat it, did it dawn on me, that perhaps the computer board knew, that although the lamp timer had been reset, the lamp had never been removed. I opened the back of the tv and the lamp door and verified that the lamp is working as well as both fans. It was quite dusty in there, so, with compressed air and a vacuum, I cleaned the tv. I also took out the lamp and re-seated it. The tv has now been on several hours with no problems. So, in answer to my original question, that only the timer light was blinking when the remote buttons were pushed and the tv would not turn on, perhaps, it is a safety feature built into the tv circuitry, that, when then lamp timer reaches a certain number, the tv becomes "locked" until the lamp is either changed or re-seated and the lamp timer is reset. I am interested to know what you think about my "light bulb" moment and explanation. Out there or possibly correct? Let me know. Happy

Collapse -
Lamps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 23, 2008 2:02 PM PST

Azforgetmenot,

Hey, that's great news! (You mean you read through that whole thread and didn't reseat your lamp?!) Happy My bad, I had assumed you had.

I've seen DLP units with timers of 8000+ hours working. I don't think there's a point where the DLP would shut off "just because" it "thinks" the lamp should be replaced.

As well, because we don't assume that the average customer [ahem] would know the service code, we naturally don't require you to reset the lamp timer. Some of the later models will note when your lamp may be needing to be replaced, and that, I honestly have no idea what triggers that warning (however, I'm pretty sure it is independent of anything to do with the timer).

So the answer is "maybe" because I'm not 100%. Let me see if I can find out anything definite. In the meantime, enjoy your television, and keep me posted of developments.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HLP-4663W
by f0gax / January 26, 2009 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Lamps

HLP-4663W, about 4 years old.

After being moved by professional movers the set began to turn off by itself. I thought it was a ventilation problem as changing the air flow resolved the problem for a while.

I reseated the lamp several times. I installed a fan to draw room air through to the intake on the side of the set. Both fans that I can see (near the lamp and off to the right [from behind the set]) are turning when the set is on.

The lamp was replaced around October of 2008.

Sometimes it just shuts off (stand-by light comes on), other times the screens goes blank, but no lights on the power button, and other times I get a blink code on the Standby and Lamp lights. I will record that the next time I see it happen.

As a post up-thread mentioned, I'm also experiencing that I have to turn it back on several times before it will stay on for a long period.

In the mean time, any tips?

Thanks,
--Jeff

Collapse -
Reseating...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2009 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: HLP-4663W

Well, reseating is about the only thing I can suggest.

You might want to make sure the air isn't blowing into the exhaust. Wink But if it does that with or without the fans, I'm not sure what the issue could be.

I wish I had the answer, but reseating is the best fix, and usually works.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service Call?
by f0gax / January 26, 2009 11:45 PM PST

(Thread issue... so I have to reply to myself)

If reseating the lamp again doesn't do the trick, any idea what a service call to check the set might run me?

Collapse -
Prices..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2009 11:20 PM PST

I have no idea what a serice call would run.

That would be up to the service center; and there may or may not be room to negotiate or price shop.

Did the lamp reseat not work?

--HDTech

Collapse -
secret code to reset timer
by cpfnad1 / January 12, 2009 10:44 AM PST

Could you share that code? I have a HLN5065 that will not turn on. I replaced the lamp but the tv screen will have a momentary flash of light on the screen then it will turn on and off endlessly, never a picture comes on. Thnks

Collapse -
Can't...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 12, 2009 10:49 AM PST

The service code should only be used by an authorized service technician. If your television isn't turning on, this code will likely be useless anyway.

You're best bet is to have a technician come out and look at your unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung sp46l6hx
by leemc909 / January 14, 2009 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Can't...

I have a samsung sp46l6hx and was having the same problems as the other people posted. my tv just went off one day and wouldn't come back on, power was on but no picture at all, then lamp light kept flashing then all three lights would flash (lamp/timer/stand by) so looked at my manual and said replace bulb so i did. Nothing has changed. I can hear the fans working and the click when it powers up but still no picture. could it be the ballast? and are they difficult ti fit? i dont want to just waste money on the wrong parts.
Thanks.

Collapse -
To cpfnad1 re "Secret Code:
by AzForgetMeNot / January 15, 2009 12:26 AM PST

In order to reach the service menu, with the tv off, hit the "mute" button, the numbers 1,8,2 and "power" button in fairly quick succession. Try this a couple of times. If it does not work, try the "menu" button in place of the mute button. Good Luck !

Collapse -
Samsung 43" dlp Model hln4365wx/xaa
by Deadlydayne / March 6, 2010 10:08 PM PST

I have somewhat of a similar problem with my 43". I just replaced the bulb in the tv and hit the power button and the fans kicked on but the bulb didn't. The lamp light blinks green on the front of the tv, and after leaving it on like this for 5-10mn the tv plays a short musical tune. Now just recently I found out that my dish remote that's programmed to my small 20" cutis mathes tv, is the same code for this tv. So when I turned on my small tv the samsung kicked on and did the same as what I described, but about half an hour later the tone played and the lamp kicked on for about 30seconds - 1minute and shut down. I can't power off the tv unless I unplug it. Does anyone know what's going on? Plz help asap I really need this tv today. Any help appreciated thnx,
Deadlydayne

Collapse -
Same issue...different setup on TV
by invius / September 13, 2011 10:41 AM PDT

I have the same type of unit referenced above, however when I took the panel off in the back to re-seat the lamp, there was a motherboard in the way. I could only access the lamp from the back, but the angle prevented me from being able to unscrew it and put it back into place. How difficult is the motherboard to remove? I noticed in the picture that you provided that it was already removed, or was not present in that iteration. Please advise, as I am having the exact same symptoms as listed above. When my TV shuts off, the bottom standby/lamp glows red for awhile after the TV shuts off.

Thanks,

DS

Collapse -
Samsung DLP Model HLP5063W
by Snwwhite36 / December 20, 2012 6:43 PM PST

Please Help!!! My Dad replaced bulb, ballast & color wheel since color wheel exploded....New bulb works, old bulb still works. Tv starts on cold start after that it shuts off. Now the reseat process of bulb is to physically open housing to reseat bulb? Take bulb housing apart? My Dad is saying No, u mean reseat housing? Back & forth? I believe he is not comprehending what u r saying....All 3 lights were flashing on Tv. Capacitors are good checked. Voltage on ballast 318 volts. When Tv starts voltage to ballast 308 volts dc. Now blue switch for back door is jumped so its not interfering with anything. Any ideas here? Thanks!

Collapse -
need to know if it is my lamp
by marcoisl / May 5, 2010 1:35 PM PDT

samamsung hlr5667 dpt bt lamp flashing temp lamp in green and also in redstand by/temp

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.