Samsung forum

Question

Samsung TV HDMI ports stopped working

by davidc828 / April 1, 2013 2:28 AM PDT

Hi
I found couple old issues with HDMI ports not working, I'm also having this problem:

I have a Samsung PN63C550G1F Plasma HDTV, with 4 HDMI ports.
HDMI-1 connect to AT&T cable box, HDMI-2 connect to PS3, Component-1 connect to Wii.

Yesterday morning was raining with distant lighting (3 seconds thunder sound delay), and in the afternoon when I turn on the TV and cablebox to watch some shows and nothing happens.
This is what i experimented:

1) TV, Cable Box, Wii, and PS3 all connected to same surge protector (TrippLite ISOBAR),
this TrippLite itself is plug into another surge protector (Belkin) which plug into the wall outlet.
Both surge protectors seem okay, both showed green light for protected and grounded. Both breaker has not tripped.

2) Component-1 (Wii console): works alright, TV display game image and sound just as always.

3) HDMI-1 (Cable box): TV is blank except displaying "HDMI1/DVI 1080i" in the upper-left corner as usual, also display "No Signal" in the center of screen. No Sound.

4) HDMI-2 (PS3): TV is blank except displaying "HDMI2 1080P" in the upper-left corner as usual, also "No Signal" in the center of screen. No Sound.

5) I power-off everything, Unplug and plug in all cables: power, HDMI, Component.
It's still the same: HDMI ports 1~4 does Not work, "No Signal", no image, no sound.
Component port works perfectly.

6) I plug the Cable box [Audio Out] (Red/White ports) to a boombox and I can hear the sound from the TV shows, so the cablebox seem okay.

What is "factory reset"? I read in other posts: Hold Exit button on remote for 20 seconds.
Should I try this?

What else can I do?
Please help.

Thanks,
David

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV HDMI ports stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV HDMI ports stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung TV HDMI ports stopped working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2013 5:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Fctory Reset
by davidc828 / April 1, 2013 11:27 PM PDT

Hi HD Tech,
Thank you for the quick reply. I will try factory Reset tonight.

Please confirm how to perform the "Factory Reset":
Is it holding down the [Exit] button on remote for 20 seconds?
How will I know if TV's been correctly resetted, will I see any indication?
Do I do this while TV's power is turn on or off?
Do I keep the HDMI cable in the TV's HDMI ports while doing this reset or unplug the cable from the ports?

Thank you,
David

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung TV HDMI ports stopped working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.