Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

Samsung TV changes channels

by gopcs / August 26, 2008 10:44 AM PDT

I need help. Bought a Samsung 19" TV for the kitchen model LN19A450C1D. Within 30 minutes after going through Setup, the TV had changed channels by itself from HD 5.1 to 2.1. I called the retailer, HH Gregg, and then called Samsung. Neither had heard of such a problem. I returned the TV to HH Gregg and exchanged it for another TV of the same make/model.

Now the second TV is doing the same thing. I have had it now for about 5 hours, and it has changed from HD channel 5.1 to 2.1 six times.

The HD service is Comcast. I am not using the STB. The cable TV service connects directly to the television set.

The remote is not being press accidentally. In fact, the batteries were removed form the remote, and the TV still changed channels by itself.

Any chance there is a signal from Comcast that may be causing this? Any other ideas before I exchange this one for a different brand?

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV changes channels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV changes channels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Idea...
by danger355 / August 27, 2008 6:16 AM PDT

First, is there a dedicated remote button that does this?

Try putting something over the IR receiver on the TV. If it stops changing channels, then maybe something happens to be outputting the right signal for your TV to be acting up.

I used to have a Sony that would do random things, but only when trying to transfer files from my phone to my PDA via infrared.

Collapse -
Samsung TV changing digital channels on Comcast
by fredmon66 / September 11, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

I think Samsung has a firmware problem with their TVs. When you connect directly to cable without a box, the list of digital channel numbers will constantly change. This happened to me with Comcast in Houston. Each time the list of channels change, they are added back to the good channel list. The newer TVs have a firmware update that seems to mostly fix the problem. Older TVs do not have an update. I think the best solution with an old Samsung TV is to only program the analog channels and get the digital channels off the air. During programming, you can unplug the cable around channel 64, and all the digital channels will be skipped. Even with the new firmware, you can unplug the cable around channel 90 and get all the good digital cable stations.

Collapse -
resolved
by gopcs / September 12, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

I think the mystery is solved. Seems Comcast does not send local channels in HD on regular cable service. The TV salesman said they did, as did the first CSR I spoke with at Comcast.

After having the same problem of channel 5.1 changing to 2.1 on two different TV sets, I called Comcast back. I spoke with a CSR and a Supervisor. Both told me that to receive any HD programming, a decoder box is required.

Seems the HD programming I was receiving without the decoder box was ingress to the cable network from the broadcast television transmitters. After installing a decoder box, the Samsung HD TV is stable.

Collapse -
Comcast does have local HD
by fredmon66 / September 28, 2008 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: resolved

I get Comcast local HD channels in Houston just fine, especially with my new Samsung TV. My old Samsung gets them also, but whenever I program them, the channels keep changing.

Of course the people at Comcast are going to tell you to get a cable box. They charge extra for that.

Collapse -
Samsung TV changes channels
by gwenstefni / September 12, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

I think Samsung has a firmware problem with their TVs. When you connect directly to cable without a box, the list of digital channel numbers will constantly change. This happened to me with Comcast in Houston. Each time the list of channels change, they are added back to the good channel list. The newer TVs have a firmware update that seems to mostly fix the problem. Older TVs do not have an update. I think the best solution with an old Samsung TV is to only program the analog channels and get the digital channels off the air. During programming, you can unplug the cable around channel 64, and all the digital channels will be skipped. Even with the new firmware, you can unplug the cable around channel 90 and get all the good digital cable stations.
--------------------
gwen

Guaranteed ROI

Collapse -
Quick Question
by Mr__S / September 24, 2008 1:58 PM PDT

Does this problem happen when you connect with the set-top box?

Regards,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Somewhat of the same problem
by basbell / September 24, 2008 10:31 PM PDT

I seem to be having somewhat of the same problem however it is not the TV changing channels it is the cable box.

I have a Samsung 52 Series 6 which is connected to a regular Comcast box via the normal Coaxail able (Wall to box then box to TV). Sometimes when I go to change the channel on the cable box nothing happens other times the cable box uncontrollably cycles through all the channels. I have found if I turn off the TV that will stop the channel surfing. When I turn the TV back on for a period of time everything is normal.

I have 3 cable boxes in the house and it's not the remote as I ahve tried all three remotes, all with new batteries and it still happens.

Would connecting the cable box via component or HDMI correct this problem or is it possible the box is going bad?

Collapse -
by Mr__S / October 6, 2008 5:59 PM PDT

basbell,

If the cable box is changing channels on its own, then it?s probably logical to conclude that regardless of whether you use HDMI or component to send the signal to the TV, the channel changing is done by the cable box.

Regards,

Mr. Samsung

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.