Samsung forum

Alert

Samsung TV cant read my USB HDD anymore

by ccsalway / October 11, 2011 8:21 PM PDT

I have just installed my brand new 8 series TV (UE40D8000), plugged a Seagate 500GB USB2.0 HDD in which it recognised and formatted.

Tested recording live tv, which it did fine and I could play back the recordings. Set a few shows to record, put the TV on standby and left it for a few days.

When I come back to look for the recorded shows, the Samsung TV is saying there is no device attached and obviously I cant access any shows.

I plugged the hard drive into my PC to see if ANYTHING was on it, and obviously Windows asked to format it, and Ubuntu said there was nothing on it...

So what the heck happened there!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV cant read my USB HDD anymore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV cant read my USB HDD anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem
by bernsel / October 12, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

I have exactly the same problem. I have an external HDD (a Samsung original HDD that I just bought a few weeks ago for this purpose). I plugged it in to my Samsung SMart TV UE46D8000 - the HDD got recognized and formatted - and I strarted to record TV on it. Worked well. But a couple of weeks later I could suddenly not access the recordings anymore. The error message I get when trying to access "Recorded TV" from the Smart menu is "There is no device connected.".

Obviously I have tried everything. Disconnect / reconnect. COnnect to different USB ports. Turn off TV completely, wait a few minutes, turn on, then connect the HDD. I have even reformatted the HDD on a PC (losing my TV recordings), and then reconnecting it to the Samsung TV in hope that the TV would now re-discover the HDD (as it did the first time a attached it), and give me the option to format it again. But nothing...

I am sure that the problem is in the TV, since the HDD works fine when I attach it to my computer. And the light on the HDD is on when attached to the TV, so it does have power.

Samsung, please help!

Collapse -
Same issue for m
by rathga / November 26, 2011 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Same problem here. Have a samsung TV and samsung hard drive. Works fine for recorded TV for a while, but then bugs out and becomes unusable. However, I have sucessfully reformatted the drive in a PC and then again on the TV. However, clearly this loses all my programmes each time - which sort of defeats the whole point.

Collapse -
Same issue for m
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue for m

rathga -

Collapse -
Same issue for m
by rathga / November 28, 2011 3:33 AM PST

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Snap!
by ian4ellie / November 28, 2011 6:30 AM PST

I too am having the same issue, I recently bought a Samsung UE40D7000 and connected it to a Western Digital Elements 1TB 2.5" USB hard drive. For the first week or so it was running absolutly fine, I could record, delete and edit content until today. I know I only had est 2GB of storage used up until the fault occured.

I did exactly the same process as "bernsal" but was also unsuccessful so decided to hit the forums. Sad

I would be greatful to hear any feedback...

Collapse -
Snap!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: Snap!

ian4ellie -

Collapse -
Samsung TV and 2 tb HDD Western Digital
by roycetimms / August 1, 2014 9:23 PM PDT

Same problem. It worked then it did not. Showed up on the source list and then did not. All searcheds for answers on here totally unsatisfactory. Is Samsung trying to go uout of business with the HOPELESS after sales service. All experiences with SAMSUNG dissapointing.

Collapse -
Try a new post with all the small detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2014 1:14 AM PDT

Here I see no make/model of drive and TV along with, well, let's save that for your new post. We know the models that can record can lose it all and we format that drive and begin again. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

"This thread is more than 1025 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so."

Collapse -
It crashed two of my USB HDD
by baba969 / August 25, 2014 11:40 AM PDT

The Samsung "Smart" TV is anything but! I plugged in my Passport external HDD with movies and personal photos and many important files. It played the movies for few days and then it started acting up and dropping connection. Now I can't access the HDD even if I plug it to any of my computers. I lost everything. I thought it was the HDD problem, so I plug in another USB HDD and it fried that one to. Now when I plug them into my computers it says "can't recognize USB device" I called Samsung I have never seen such rood and ignorant support team in my life, what they did in terms of troubleshooting was a joke.... a bad joke. And when I asked to talk to supervisor to file a complaint he put me on hold forever then transferred me to someone who kept saying I can't hear your sir call us later and hung up on me. I will never buy Samsung again. Now I am left with two broken HDD of which one of them has very valuable information on it.
Any one has a fix?

Collapse -
Snap!
by rathga / November 28, 2011 7:46 PM PST

Have already contacted service centre, just waiting on response, will report back if they come up with anything useful.

Collapse -
snap!
by ian4ellie / December 4, 2011 5:06 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I am intrigued to hear their response... Please keep me posted.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Collapse -
Any news on this issue?
by Sushen_92 / February 9, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: snap!

I just experienced the same on my 2011 Samsung TV.
Suddenly the hdd is unknown...
The messages below here does not relate to recorded tv as far as I can see.
So is there any news or solutions to unrecognized hdd with recorded tv?
Kind regards
Henrik Happy

Collapse -
Nope...
by rathga / February 9, 2012 9:49 AM PST

Nope, hard nothing back from the service centre. completely ignored it seems

Collapse -
Same issue for me UE46D7000
by mrcjthomas / May 2, 2012 6:17 AM PDT

I have exactly the same issue.

My UE46D7000 has been reading .avi files perfectly for months off my external hard drive (Western Digital 2TB), as well as a Kingston 8Gb thumbdrive, but a few weeks ago, for no apparent reason, it cannot browse either drive. Both drives appear in the list when I press "source", but as soon as I select either drive, it just goes back to the HDMI input instead.

Am I entitled to exchange the TV because this feature is obviously not working for lots of people?

It's not down to the size of the external drive, because it's the same problem with the 8Gb thumbdrive as well.

Collapse -
That would be a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 6:21 AM PDT

AVI is a container and not a sure thing these will play since the supported encodings are on a very short list.

All it takes is one bad or unsupported encoded file in the AVI and what you note will happen.

I wonder if the day is approaching when such a feature must be removed because consumers need something more controlled when all files are checked out so this won't happen?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your reply
by mrcjthomas / May 3, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: That would be a first.

I tried formatting my Kingston 8Gb thumbdrive on my PC (FAT32) and then copied some JPEG files on to it. Still the same reaction from the TV, though, it sees the drive as soon as I plug it in, but when I sele ct it nothing happens... Oh dear!

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
JPEG can be a problem too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your reply

If I recall there are limits in the size of those too.

Again, this is an area that consumers are asking good questions but I'm beginning to think that while all this is nice, how can a maker support this for long?
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung TV cant read my USB HDD anymore
by Mishegaas / August 10, 2012 2:25 PM PDT

It is unfortunate that Samsung around the world are hopeless to pass any useful information to the factory.

I was told by Samsung that USB stik will not work as HDD but any HDD up to 2TB will be supported by the OS but note that up to 1TB will be powered properly by the USB port (2TB HDD needs an external powrer supply).

I have the 40D6600 (running the latest firmware - 1020.1) and added a 1TB Seagate HDD. My TV is more than a year old and had previous versions of firmware. I already had two SO CALLED HDD failures which could only be fixed by re-formatting the HDD. Due to these HDD failures I have lost a lot of recordings which I am very unhappy about. Yes, it is a nasty bug in the firmware that needs urgent attention (if not fixed yet).

To be more specific, I have made significant amount of recordings before the HDD failed. It is not the HDD which was faulty. I think that the bug is in the filing system which crashes after certain size.

I would like Samsung to be more active in providing answeres rather than question us - smart people. I am almost sure many readers get very annoyed by uneducated answered from people who sign off as Samsung.

Collapse -
USB HDD formating
by baba969 / August 25, 2014 11:39 AM PDT

Fast track to 8-2014 the Samsung "Smart" TV is anything but! I plugged in my Passport external HDD with movies and personal photos and many important files. It played the movies for few days and then it started acting up and dropping connection. Now I can't access the HDD even if I plug it to any of my computers. I lost everything. I thought it was the HDD problem, so I plug in another USB HDD and it fried that one to. Now when I plug them into my computers it says "can't recognize USB device" I called Samsung I have never seen such rood and ignorant support team in my life, what they did in terms of troubleshooting was a joke.... a bad joke. And when I asked to talk to supervisor to file a complaint he put me on hold forever then transferred me to someone who kept saying I can't hear your sir call us later and hung up on me. I will never buy Samsung again. Now I am left with two broken HDD of which one of them has very valuable information on it.
Any one has a fix?

Collapse -
Possible solution to samsung smart tv not recognising usb
by david20003000 / April 4, 2014 4:34 PM PDT

I have a samsung smart tv and watched video clips from an external hard drive (connected through usb). But after about a year, the samsung smart tv could no longer recognise the external hard drive (maybe problem with the usb connection). I resolved the problem by resetting the samsung smart tv to factory settings and everyhting worked fine. To reset samsung smart tv to factory settings press on the remote control the following sequence while the tv is off: "Info", "Menu", "Mute" and finally "Power". Hope the above works. Good luck!

Collapse -
problems
by ubl_ / November 29, 2011 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I have also had this problem with my 40d8005
It started by giving me bad recordings. and giving me some strange error massages in danish when I tried to play the bad recordings. (the dansih translation is very bad worse than google translate). I then changed to english to get an idea on what the error message was about. Now all of a sudden almost none of my recordings were playable. It gave me a DRM error. I the changed the langauge back to danish and now I was unable to access my hdd.
I gave up and reformatted my hdd as the tv suggested.

I can only say, stay away from this tv if you need a good implementation of the PVR feature. (The PVR feature on the tv also has other issues)

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by Zoli_Horvi / December 10, 2011 7:18 PM PST

I have Samsung UE46D5500 and external disk Western Digital 500 GB. On my external disk I have movies and when I plugged my disk at first time to my samsung TV everything was OK. But after short time I've noticed that my TV somehow show me folders and files which I've already deleted from my disk!!! And new folders and files aren't shown!!! It is realy disappointing. Is it possible that I can turn back my TV because of this issue?

Collapse -
Possible solution.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: Similar Problem

Rename the disk (right click>rename in Windows Explorer). Then the TV won't recognise it, think it's a new one and refresh its cache.

Kees

Collapse -
to Kees_B
by Zoli_Horvi / December 10, 2011 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Possible solution.

I tried to rename my disk in windows explorer but without efect. My TV doesn't recognize my disk according to name that you can see in wondows explorer :/

Collapse -
USB HDD not refreshing
by OblivionGuest / December 11, 2011 5:53 PM PST
In reply to: Similar Problem

I too was having this problem (the renaming doesn't work as the TV gives an ID to the device itself (not based on name)). I could even see sub-folders that I had deleted. But I did find a solution (simple) that worked for me. I simply went up to the menu and navigated from Video to Pictures and could immediately see the folders I had deleted were no longer there. I then navigated back to Video and hey presto it had refreshed. It worked for me anyway so I can see and watch all the new films I had put on the HDD. Hope this helps someone else.

Collapse -
So that's the way to refresh.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: USB HDD not refreshing

Thanks for telling.

Kees

Collapse -
To OblivionGuest
by Zoli_Horvi / December 12, 2011 12:31 AM PST

This solution helped me too! Thank you! You are better than Samsung support in the Czech Republic Happy

Collapse -
hard drive not updating new files on the TV
by Rabbit_J / January 28, 2012 6:14 PM PST

had the same problem. It wasnt updating when i copied something new over. This worked a treat. Good work

Collapse -
Solution
by runnernorth / December 16, 2011 7:08 AM PST

Hi there, I HAD the exact same problem, suddenly my Samsung ps63c7705 tv couldn't find my Samsung external G2 hdd.... I did as follows, and it worked for me: go to Samsung.com , download the Samsung format utility and the manual for the tool, format the Samsung hdd with the tool( I choose FAT32), hooked up the G2 to my tv, and voila, IT WORKS! Try and see if it helps for you, and let us know Happy
Kindly

Collapse -
Not really a solution
by rathga / December 21, 2011 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

You don't need the samsung tool, you can just format it in windows as normal (or at least, I can with my one!) The whole problem is you lose all your tv programmes that way. We need to find a way to stop it happening or a way to fix it that does not involve reformatting the whole drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.