Samsung forum

Question

Samsung TV and Playon Disconnect Issue.

by Chase_C / March 12, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

Let me start by saying this isn't necessarily a Samsung specific issue. However, it involves a Samsung TV and hope maybe someone has found a solution to this.

My TV is a UN46ES6150FXZA and I'm trying to get Playon to work. I can see the Playon server and browse content without issue via "Source" or "AllShare" but before I can play anything it gives me a "Device Disconnected...Playon" error.

Playon server is running on a Windows 7 x86 install with no 3rd party firewall/antivirus software and Windows firewall is turned off. Network is Cat6 wired so no wireless is used. Playon works fine via PS3 on another TV. All other internet services on the TV work fine as well (even pulling up content from local server via Allshare).

I have posted this question in Playon forums with no replies so figured I would try here. Anyone have any suggestions to try? Is there any kind of security on the TV that might be causing the issue? Is the TV just not compatible?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV and Playon Disconnect Issue.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV and Playon Disconnect Issue.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung TV and Playon Disconnect Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

Hi again Chase_C,

If I were to venture a guess, it's probably not compatible with Allshare for some reason. Sorry for the inconvenience.

HD Tech

Collapse -
New info.
by Chase_C / March 12, 2013 8:34 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that others in the Playon forum do state that Playon works for them on their Samsung units via Source and Allshare so it might be device specific? Not sure why theirs work but mine doesn't.

Collapse -
More clues are needed. Here's something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: New info.
Collapse -
Ports open.
by Chase_C / March 12, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

The ports needed are already open. Otherwise the router would block it to the PS3 as well but that works without issue.

However, have some new info and it looks like the TV is the problem. I have a BD-ES6000 bluray and I was successful playing Playon content through Allshare on it. Granted, I could only get it to do it once because for some reason it kept telling me to "Check my internet connection" which I know is fine. Wired connection to that and browser pulls up the internet just fine and YouTube/other internet apps work without issue. I'll have to sort that out but at least it was able to play a video successfully. The TV however still shows a device disconnect error which is just strange because the interfaces on the TV and bluray player look almost identical.

Collapse -
I don't think I can help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Ports open.

I've encountered folk that insist on leaving the firewall on when for the test we need it off and out of the way.

Why we need to firewall between devices on a LAN is a discussion on its own.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Samsung TV and Playon Disconnect Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 13, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: New info.

Hi again,

It might be device specific; it might have been designed to work with 2011 models, and they haven't revisited their programming to make it work with 2012 models; or it could be that they just assume that DLNA is DLNA and claim it works with any DLNA device. But this is all speculation, and doesn't really help you.

So let's try this instead: I'd start by defining the boundaries of the problem. "before I can play anything it gives me a 'Device Disconnected'" is too vague, while admittedly better than many user descriptions.

So when does it drop? Does it drop on a time interval? Or with a particular command? Does it drop when trying to access a particular file type? Etc.

Hopes this helps!

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung TV device disconnect with Playon solved
by Iciar007 / July 28, 2013 10:09 PM PDT

It is the router firewall that is doing this. I have a Dlink 655 router. I set UDP to address restricted, and TCP to endpoint restricted (2nd choice for UDP and 1st choice for TCP). Under Application Level Gateway at the bottom of the firewall screen, tick on the first three choices. At the top of the firewall screen, don't check Enable SPI and don't check antispoofing or DMZ either: just UDP address restricted, TCP endpoint restricted, and PPTP/IPSEC, RTSP on.

These settings allow me to use Playon to stream any media to my Samsung which is about two and a half years old. My model is UN55d7000. It also allows me to create a VPN from my iPhone to my network so I can use a TV app to watch TV remotely. Both the VPN and Playon streaming work together and both problems were solved by the above settings. For other routers, try disabling its firewall and then start backing into the settings one by one, here and there, to see if you are successful with solving your disconnect problem. I can't take credit about the firewall thing. Another poster put me onto it and I was able to solve my own issues. Good luck!

Collapse -
One other thing-try disabling your wired NIC card
by Iciar007 / August 13, 2013 12:08 AM PDT

Unfortunately, things can pop up. I had issues, then the firewall settings fixed them, then a week or so ago, I could not stream to my Samsung LED TV using Playon. I have read so many posts that any type of media streaming software seems to disconnect with Samsung TV's. On your server machine, disable your wired, plug-in Ethernet card, reboot, and try streaming only using your wireless. I found my HP Realtek pci-e NIC was working with everything except Playon. I have read so many posts about Samsung and media server software (many different packages) so I have to think my issue with Samsung TV and streaming media might be others' issue (wired NIC card on laptop or tower not playing well with streaming, streaming, software, and Samsung). In other words, the wired NIC may not be streaming video like it should although it appears to work for everything "else". If wireless gives you better results, then you know your wired NIC is somehow not up to snuff for streaming video. I had this issue suddenly for about two weeks. It came out of no where. I don't know why. Wireless streaming and disabled wired NIC card (be sure to reboot) solved it. I am currently working on getting the wired card back to snuff with new drivers. If it doesn't work, I will stay with wireless . I want to note I have a dlink ds655 router, and dlink gigabit switches. The Realtek is gigabit. Everything is gigabit and it is a wired home run from router to tv. How or why a gigabit network won't stream video because the Realtek pci-e NIC chokes is beyond me but this was my solution. I have a UN55D7000 3d Samsung TV and two 32 inch Samsung lc TV's, and an Insignia plasma TV and two old tube TVS )Sony and Magnavox), and a Sony. Everything streams to everything wired or wireless *except* to the UN55D7000 using wired connection and Playon. Going wireless was the fix for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.