Samsung

General discussion

SAMSUNG TV and External Hard drive

by Naeem AWAN / September 5, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

I have recently procured SAMSUNG 40" LCD (Model LE401A756). It has USB connection and AVI type movies can be watched. I have tried 2GB USB and it works just find. However, when i tried connecting 500GB external harddrive (LG HDD). Its not working. Tried seaching the web but this issue is not discussed anywhere.

Any thoughts????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG TV and External Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG TV and External Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SAMSUNG TV and External Hard drive
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 5, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

Naeem AWAN,

Have you tried formatting the drive first?

Also, is the hard-drive powered by an external outlet, or is it powered by the USB device it's plugged into?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re SAMSUNG TV and External Hard drive
by Naeem AWAN / September 5, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

It is brand new hard drive of LG and i did formated the HDD with FAT. It is accessable by windows and MAC both.

Now about the Power, HDD is powered by USB. There is no exteranl power to hard drive.

Last thing that LCD LE40AXXX works with flash drive so nothing wrong with port. With above give facts..why its not working with external HDD?

Regards.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 6, 2009 8:43 AM PDT

Naeem AWAN,

The television isn't able to power the external USB drive without the drive having an external power source. Unfortunately there's not enough energy from the USB port to power the hard drive to read and transfer the digital data to the television.

That is what I suspect to be the problem. Some users have also noted that this problem exists when trying to use a USB extension cable.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Naeem AWAN / September 7, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

Many thanks,

I tried today an external HDD with external power source and used very good quality USB-HDD connecting cable but still TV can not recognize the HDD. In addition HDD is formated on FAT.

I can run 4 GB flash drive with extension cable and it works just fine but so far no HDD.

I am telecom Engineer and verified all the connectivity between the LCD and HDD. At his moment we have on 4 GB flash is working with LCD but actual hard disk with internal or external power sources are not recognised by LCD.

Regards.
Naeem

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Gaurav Kumar Singh / August 17, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

Hi
I have recently purchased a Samsung 32 inches series 4 LCD tv.
I am trying to play some videos/images/mp3 from a USB 2.0 Hard drive. (Size is 250 GB).
As per the manual i have made the necessary connections and changes to the hard drive (Reduced partition size so that it can be formatted using FAT32 partition etc).
The TV manual says
"Media Play only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices. MSC is a Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport device". And the Hard disk is indeed an USB mass storage device and is USB powered (it doesnt require and external power supply)..

So i dont know where exactly is the problem. Please suggest ??

Collapse -
Samsung Tv and Seagate Extenal Hard drive 500 GB
by viswa19 / June 20, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

Hi

I am also facing this problem, am able connect my 2GB USB and also 40GB ipod to the Samsung TV, but not able to connect my 500GB Seagate GoFlex external hard drive to my Samsung 32" TV with USB port and also to my Samsung DVD player.

Any ideas pls...

Collapse -
Samsung Tv and Seagate Extenal Hard drive 500 GB
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 6:38 AM PDT

viswa19,

Collapse -
HDD via USB
by _jr_ / September 8, 2009 12:30 AM PDT

The manual specifically says USB HDD is not supported, although I am not quite sure of the technical reasons for that.
It could be that some USB HDDs might work, but those would be rather an exception.

_jr_

Collapse -
re
by tyrexden / September 8, 2009 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: HDD via USB

how is the port on the TV, itself, labelled?

On my model, it has 2 USB ports, and one is specifically labelled (USB HDD). I play a 1TB drive out of it, no problem. Heck, i've even connected by iPod to it, and TV was able to read those files.

NTFS is better for larger drives (and larger files), so you might want to try that. Mine is NTFS. My Mac is able to write to it, via a small software patch.

Collapse -
problem with 1t ex. HDD
by singerboy24 / September 7, 2010 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: re

hi
i have a samsung 40ua7000(2009) led tv and 1t external seagate hdd with ex.power source... for sometimes my hdd makes sounds like "tik tik" and the operation of playing slow down...
this problem occurs with many files and between playing a file not at first...
i have no problem when use this hdd with my pc

what's the problem?
bad sector...low power...huge size of partition..bad file...

Collapse -
No moviephoto files on current device. Select another caterg
by tryingtomakeitwork / January 14, 2011 10:25 AM PST

Hi,

I have a Samsung LA32C45oE1D tv and trying to play movies and see photos off my WD 3 TB external HDD.....

the tv finds the hard drive but when you select movies or photos it says
'No movie / photo files on current device. Select another catergory'......

Can someone please help me...

The hard drive is formatted NTFS....

Collapse -
NTFS vs. FAT32
by thedarkman41 / February 15, 2011 5:52 AM PST

I'm having the same sort of issues trying to connect a 3TB hard drive to a Samsung 46" LCD TV (UN46B7000).

I've tried formatting the drive as NTFS, as well as FAT32. As an NTFS formatted drive, I could not get the TV to recognize the partitions. Have you tried both USB ports? Have you tried creating an empty folder on the drive, and copying a single file over?

When formatted as FAT32, I ran into different problems.

My original drive (a 1.5TB Seagate drive) was formatted as a FAT16 drive, but I could not put files larger than 4GB on it, so I was a bit limited, so I purchased this drive and formatted it FAT32 (made sure it was FAT32 vs. FAT16, as you cannot have a partition larger than 2TB with FAT16). I copied all the files I had onto the drive (MANY many files). I started by copying a few of them which show up fine when I attach the drive to the TV, but when I copy all the files over, I begin to have issues. Some folders which have hundreds of folders/files will copy over fine, and will pass a file check, but will NOT appear in the Samsung Media Play screen (folder appears empty). I noticed in the upper right corner of the screen that 1.3TB was used and 746MB were free, indicating that the embedded OS the TV is using does not recognize this as a FAT32 drive.

Collapse -
Same problem with Seagate 3TB HDD
by mike300zxt / March 5, 2011 3:34 AM PST

My 2TB Seagate drive is recognized and works. My 3TB Seagate drive is recognized, but I get the same error 'No movie / photo files on current device'. When I go to settings and look at the drive info, it says the drive is 0KB.

The drive is formatted and externally powered, and I'm not using a USB extension. I checked permissions on the drive, and ran the disk check on vista, and no errors. So it seems like Samsung TVs may be limitted to 2TB drives, although this isn't stated in the specs.

Collapse -
same thing with seagate 1t
by Tommyolek / March 8, 2011 4:20 AM PST

I just had the same problem with seagate 1tb,'No movie / photo files on current device. Select another catergory'...... drive was detected by tv (samsung ps50c450) but no files on it, the same thing happend when i connected drive to my laptop it took ages to detected but then i had I/O error and i couldn't acces drive at all. So i looked for some info on internet and i was suprised how many peopel have that problem with Seagate (no other drive) check this web site u'll find some info http://arewold.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/having-problems-with-the-seagate-freeagent-500-gb-external-disk-drive/ they say thats not the fault of hard drive its self but docking station ,many ppl with seagate had this problem so read for more info. I just bought Iomega 1 tb so i'll see if its any better and if it work good

Collapse -
Same problem
by sc_andrew / May 25, 2011 12:23 AM PDT

Same problem - Samsung TV would not recognize the WD 3TB HDD. Recognizes other 2TB drives

Collapse -
I am also facing the same issue
by kvitaa / March 7, 2011 10:53 AM PST

Hi, I purchased a 32" SAMSUNG LCD tv and tried connecting a Seagate 500 GB external hard disk. The drive is recognized sometimes and i am able to play the files for a minute or two and then i get a tik tik sound and it vanishes and i get the message as "Device not found". Please let me know how to solve this issue..

Thanks
Kavitha

Collapse -
I am also facing the same issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 7, 2011 12:41 PM PST

kvitaa,

I started and pinned a thread at the top of the Samsung Forums regarding drives that people find compatible (or not compatible).

I have no way of verifying compatibility, so the best I can do is offer the free flow of information.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Drive Support
by mike300zxt / March 7, 2011 1:48 PM PST

Samsung, the compatibility thread is an appreciated small help, but do you plan to provide updated TV firmware to properly support the USB 2.0 spec and FAT/NTFS file systems that you advertise your TVs support?

As a consumer, it's beyond frustrating when companies rush products to markets that don't properly support the specs that they advertise. Given the posts made by Samsung employees, and the responses of Samsung's call center staff, it seems that Samsung is quick to claim standards support and to deflect blame, but has no test results or "supported drives" charts to validate their claims.

Given how old the USB 2.0, FAT and NTFS specs all are, it's supprising that 2010/2011 models still don't properly support standard external drives that work on any computer. It's not like this is new technology. Or am I missing some more complex issue?

Anyways, it would be great if you guys could put a little more effort into fixing compatability issues, or at least providing compatability results in the manual with updates on your website. It shouldn't be left to consumers to have to buy, test and return products because your products don't properly support the advertised standards.

Collapse -
Drive Support
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 8, 2011 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Drive Support

mike300zxt,

With all due respect, it is much more complex.

First, people are asking a television to catalog a possible (that I've seen) up to 3TBs worth of storage and anywhere from a few to a couple thousand video clips. Drive compatibility is one thing, but at the time the TVs were released, 3TB drives weren't even available for the market.

Second, why do some 2TB drives work, and others don't?

I don't know either. That's not a "standard" we control. Yet, here we have "rushed to market" accusations. How can I even fairly address that?

So people turn to the most expensive device and put the onus on that company to "fix it". In this case, the TV. But that's not necessarily where the problem lies. We know that, but people insist "we fix it" anyway.

Third, the manual lists what people can use, and while in most cases it provides enough information that allows more people to get it working. In your case, a 2TB drive works, but you noted 3TB does not. I have no way of knowing which drives in which instances do and don't.

I put up a forum where people could discuss - and maybe learn - why their devices did or did not work - or discover how they could make it work, or what tips they used to make it work better. For consumers who want a heads up on which devices work, that has served as a beacon of compatibility.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Hard disk restart problem
by aneesh1989 / April 15, 2011 6:37 AM PDT

Hi sir,

I purchased LA32C590 one week back and observed that while playing movies using harddisk (seagate goflex 500GB) after 20 mins its disconnecting the harddrive. again I have to go to media play and begin from where i have started. I am very much upset with this problem. Please guide me. FYI i tried in my friend's TV (LA32C530) and its playing more than 5Hrs without any problem. I even updated the firmware.

Thanks in advance,
Aneesh

Collapse -
Hard Disk Issue
by DVDud3 / June 3, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

I have found that a 2Tb Samsung Spinpoint works just fine formatted ntfs with partition table of guid or mbr. yet a WD 2Tb Black does not work when fromatted ntfs and it does not matter if it was guid or mbr.

Collapse -
further to HDTECH resposne
by jonj2577 / June 24, 2011 11:48 PM PDT

As a person whose job it was to answer viewer complaints for a TV newtork I appreciate your comments Samsung. My issue with my newly purchased Samsung TV (series 5 - 551)is that I wish the documentation (paper and E) was as clear as your explanations. I don't think it should be necessary to have to search through the internet in order to find out why 1. The network doesn't connect (fixed), 2. the network only allows access to local drives. This would have been a deal killer for me had I known. 3. The media player only recognizes certain types of AVI files. About 5 of the 15 movies on my hard drive. I found out that it might have to do something with the codecs used when the files were encoded. 4. Why the media player can see folders (MP3) but cannot access them. I am not an expert but I am also not brand new at this. The TV advertises that it will play USB devices, AVI, MP3 etc. It doesn't advertise a list of disclaimers. I for one assumed that if something plays flawlessly, repeatedly and without hesitation on my PC it should do the same on the TV. This is too complex for me and it shouldn't be. I imagine the majority of the purchasers of this product would be baffled beyond hope and just give up on most of the features. The set is great and the price was right.

Collapse -
Same issue
by kvitaa / March 8, 2011 9:33 PM PST

Hi,

My drive is compatible with the TV as it is playing for few seconds or for a minute or so. It then goes off or as device not found etc. I am able to play the files so there is no issue in that also. My issue is why the device detection goes on and off and is not able to sustain the detection for a long time.

Thanks

Collapse -
Same problem..
by Ashokrawat3006 / October 28, 2011 4:30 PM PDT

Hi.. i am facing the same problem as described by you. I also have 32" samsung LCD TV and a seagate 500 gb external drive.. After 20 mins of watching any movie, the screen goes black and error comes that "portable device has been disconnected" and then it reconnects again. Though my cousin is enjoying same HDD on his 26" LG TV. Also i have ordered this HDD from flipkart.com. So i am unsure about its quality also. Please reply if u have solved the issue.

Collapse -
Samsung Series 4 Tele
by writ7tin / January 8, 2012 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem..

Hi all,
Have a Samsung series 4 television and a WD 1gig hard drive. The only way I could get the hard drive working though a USB drive was to format it on my Mac Pro Laptop and Format it to MS dos.. It will not work on exFat.
Mick

Collapse -
PROBLEM
by foxhole777 / January 27, 2012 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Series 4 Tele

I have found that usb flash drives work fine.
IDE hard drives only work when set to master drive on jumpers.
Sata drives so far don't work at all.
Older samsung equipment does not suppor MKV files, newer ones do, MKV files do not always display subtitles.
Would like to know when anyone has a solution for these problems.

Collapse -
Sadly some don't like the fixes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: PROBLEM

For MKV I transcode to what's supported. For subtitles I leave the ONE subtitle in the file and may have to check its encoding too.

What I'm finding is that folk are creating and playing such on PCs which have more forgiving players.
Bob

Collapse -
Lacie minimus & Samsung 51D450
by ugglee / July 28, 2012 12:53 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

I'm having pretty much the same issue as everyone in this conversation.

I just bought a External hard drive Lacie Miminus (2TB) today, first time I plugged in it to my Samsung TV (51D450) usb port, it DID reconized it,

but I accidentally reformat the hard drive(everything on the disk was gone of course, but this is not a big deal), since then when I plugged the Hard drive to my Samsung TV it doesn't recognized it anymore.. I reformat it along with different format NTFS, FAT... but it's still not working...

Do you think is it a issue coming from Lacie Minimus or from Samsung TV usb port?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Collapse -
Re: Lacie minimus & Samsung 51D450
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 30, 2012 1:03 AM PDT

Hi ugglee,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for the community here to help you more quickly, please provide for us the complete model code for this device.

Thanks,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Lacie minimus & Samsung TV Class 4 51D450
by ugglee / July 30, 2012 4:17 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.