Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung TV and BD player won't connect to internet

by jlovell6160 / May 5, 2010 3:02 AM PDT

I have a Samsung TV and Blu-ray player, both of which are supposed to connect to the internet. I have read lots of forums and tried everything I have read but still can not connect to the internet. Here is my configuration:

TV: Samsung LN40B650
Home Theatre: Samsung HT BD1250
Router: Linksys WRT54G
DSL Modem: Actiontec GT701
ISP: Qwest
Connection: Wired (cable)

Here is what I have tried:

1. Set Linksys router in DHCP mode and Actiontec modem in PPOE mode.
2. Set Samsung BD player network connection to Automatic: Fails on IP adress test (no IP address ever appears in the boxes on setup screen).
3. Set Samsung BD player to Manual and enter valid IP, subnet, gateway, etc.: Passes IP address test but fails on gateway ping test.
4. Replace the wire from Samsung BD player to router and repeat steps 2 and 3 above: Same responses.
4. Turn off Linksys firewall and repeat steps 2 and 3 above: Same reponses.
5. Set Linksys router in PPOE mode, Actiontec modem in transparent bridge mode, and repeat steps 2-4 above: Same responses.
5. Connect directly to Actiontec modem (bypassing Linksys router) and repeat steps 2-4 above with Actiontec firewall on and off: Same responses.
6. Replace router with new Linksys model and repeat steps 2-4 above with firewall on and off: Same responses.
7. Replace router and modem with new Netgear router/modem combination unit and repeat steps 2-4 above with firewall on and off: Same responses: Same responses.
8. Try all of the above but connecting directly to Samsung TV instead of Blu-ray player: Same responses.
8. Call technician who replaced motherboard in TV: Same responses.

By the way, I have contacted Samsung tech support and they have not resolved the problem. Neither has tech support from Sears, where I bought the TV, or from Crutchfield, where I bought the Blu-ray player. Nothing has worked. Note, however, that I can connect a computer to the same cable going to my router and have no problem making an internet connection. I can also connect the same computer directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and the internet works fine.

It seems that the Samsung units (TV and Blu-ray) simply won't accept an IP address using DHCP and when I manually enter IP, subnet, etc. the units won't pass the gateway ping. Can anyone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV and BD player won't connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV and BD player won't connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 5, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

jlovell6160,

You might be best trying this inquiry in the networking thread, as I know just enough to be dangerous. Here's my best attempt but there are those who know significantly more.

However, I don't believe the television will work when connected to a modem set on PPPoE, in the event it wasn't switched back, nor do I think the TV will work when the router is connected in PPPOE mode. I don't know how a computer would recognize this, and the TV doesn't.

Forum members? Am I on the right track?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by jlovell6160 / May 5, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

Thanks for your quick response - I'm not a networking expert either. For clarification, my ISP requires PPOE. I can achieve this by 1) setting the modem in PPOE and the router in DHCP, or 2) setting the router in PPOE and using the modem in transparent bridge (dumb modem) mode. The first configuration is what I typically use for my home network.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 5, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

jlovell6160,

I've done a setup where the Modem was PPPoE (required with some DSL), and then connected that to the router's Ethernet IN. I configured the router from its factory defaults, and it worked when I plugged in other devices, so I think that's what you did with #1.

Though, that router configuration had a login and password, and I had to get that from the ISP.

Again, I'm not sure how much help I'm being, but I'll continue to stab in the dark. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
my 2 cents worth
by NinjaFreddie / June 3, 2010 1:51 AM PDT

PPOE means Point to Point Over Ethernet. That's how the DSL modum/router is configured (outbound) Your router should be set to dhcp mode so it can assign an IP address to the TV's. IF it worked with your computer it should work w the TV's as well as long as they are expecting a DHCP interface from the router

Collapse -
Gateway?
by jw650 / May 5, 2010 9:19 PM PDT

What gateway address did you set? Setting it to the router address (rather than the ISP gateway) should ensure a valid test response.

Collapse -
by jlovell6160 / May 6, 2010 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Gateway?

I have been setting the gateway to the same IP address as the router's IP address, which in my case I have established as 192.158.2.1.

Collapse -
Is anyone out there?
by jlovell6160 / June 1, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Does anyone have any solutions to suggest for the problem I have described? BTW, the gateway adress I am using is 192.168.2.1 which I misquoted in my last post.

Collapse -
This area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Is anyone out there?

Is mostly covered by the sticky post for Samsung owners over in the Cnet Networking forum.
Bob

Collapse -
by jlovell6160 / June 2, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: This area.

Thanks to Bob for your quick response. I checked the networking forum you referenced and everything I found there was related to wireless connections. As stated in my initial problem description, I am attempting to connect using a wired or cable connection between my Samsung devices and my router. Is there another location or sticky I should consult for wired connectivity problems?

Collapse -
Connection problems
by jw650 / June 2, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Is anyone out there?

Hard to know what to suggest next, but if you re-connect the PC that was working on the router switch port, copy the network settings (IP address, mask, gateway) to the TV and move the cable from the PC to the TV, then it should work.

To test the TV's Ethernet port itself, connect it directly to the PC (not through the switch) and make sure the IP addresses are different. Then, from the DOS command line (Run "cmd"), try "ping 192.168.2.x" using the TV's address. It has been known for these ports to be faulty. (More common for cables to fail, so try another as well.)

Collapse -
Still not working
by jlovell6160 / June 10, 2010 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Connection problems

I tried what jw650 suggested and no luck. When I connect my laptop directly to the Samsung TV, set IP addresses to different values on each device, and then ping the TV address from the laptop my request times out. Same thing happens when I repeat the tests with the Samsung BD player.

Collapse -
No ping response
by jw650 / June 10, 2010 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

That sounds like a faulty network port. You may want to contact Samsung service for repair.

Collapse -
Having the same problem with my 46" LED
by KelleyOsburn / June 27, 2010 7:36 PM PDT
In reply to: No ping response

Ok same problem. I tried auto fill in from ISP and got a network configuration message. So I tried manualy and got a ping error. I had cable guy check signal to TV and it was good. I think rebooting tv to new again will help.... anyone know how?? All cat6 signals are good tothe TV. I think maybe modem can not read the link to TV....HELP!!

Collapse -
Samsung Neworking Issues
by Novell2NT / August 7, 2010 9:58 AM PDT

I am a network administrator, so I know my way around. The fact is and CNET should be advising their readers, that Samsung does not know how to network. Their network adaptors in both their TVs and in their Blu-ry players are the worst.

I have tested TVs and Blu-Rays, wired and wireless, under Internet@TV Settings / Properties, Speed Test. and although I am on a 3M or 6M or even a 12M bit connection to the internet, I am lucking to complete the speed test, and those who do complete the speed test do not get more the 800K on the speed test, which is as you know, very slow.

I have ran test on different networks, including BestBuy, all they could produce is a 500K.

CNET - Do your job, report this to your readers.

Samsung - Recall ever network device you have ever sold, and get with Cisco, Linksys or DLINK and learn how to produce a decent network card, or let someone else do it for you.

Anyone have a network that produces over 1.5M with a samsung networked device, please let us know.

Collapse -
Samsung TV and Blu-Ray network adaptors.
by Novell2NT / August 9, 2010 1:57 PM PDT

Here is an update for everyone out there. I went out and purchased a higher end router, a Cisco Wireless N Gigabit Security Router with VPN Model number WRVS4400N. About $200 for a home network router.

With this router and with my TV wired to one of the Gigabit ports I was finally able to achieve the 1.5Mbps using the Samsung Apps speed test under settings.

1.5Mbps is still way short of the 6.5Mbps that I have at my workstation, but for now it is a step in the right direction.

However the wireless 'N' dongle that I purchased for the TV and the built in wireless adaptor in the 3D Blu-Ray player still do not make it to 1.5Mbps, even with the new wireless N Gigabit Router.

So, I still think Samsung should leave the networking to someone who knows something about it. Like Cisco, Intel, Linksys, DLink.

Collapse -
I need help too with my Samsung set up
by lorreann / August 23, 2010 2:47 PM PDT

I'm really glad I found this post. I have a Samsung TV, Bluray player and soundbar. I thought by buying all the same brand it would be easier to sink everything. I have been tearing my hair out for weeks trying to connect wirelessly to my TV from my computer so that i can use Netflix and play Pandora through my TV, blueray player, and soundbar speakers. I hate to pay someone to come out and help me. Should I contact Samsung, or is the problem with my router??? I,too, have been unsuccessful setting it up both manually and automatic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Wireless Networking
by Novell2NT / August 29, 2010 7:32 AM PDT

Do you know how to connect to your wireless? Do you know the SSID and the KEY needed to connect wirelessly?

Collapse -
Samsung Blu Ray
by paicanuck / December 18, 2013 7:36 AM PST

Lorreann, I know it has been a couple of years but I am getting desperate. I am trying to set up my Blu Ray manually to the internet and it keeps stopping at the Gateway ping. I have tried everything I can think of and have looked at forums until I am dizzy. They are all a couple of years old so I am thinking the problem isn't as prevalent as it once was. Did you finally get yours hooked up? Any ideas of getting mine hooked up would help.
Thanks. Katie

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1323 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2013 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Blu Ray

There are many discussions about this and you may not get a good answer in this really old discussion.

I suggest you have it setup for you if Samsung's tech support can't do it for you.
Bob

Collapse -
my solution
by FreshEggs / August 30, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

After running every configuration on the router that I could think of, we discovered it wasn't a software issue at all. My household ethernet cable had a wall plate connection with a damaged wire. While my laptop would happily connect to the internet (apparently smarter than Samsung's network card) the TV couldn't make that leap. So I rewired the wall plug. (good source here: http://www.structuredhomewiring.com/Finishing.aspx ). Pay strict attention to the numbers for color matching... not necessarily the position on the punch-down block.

Collapse -
Problem Solved!
by jlovell6160 / December 14, 2010 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: my solution

I discovered the same problem FreshEggs described in his post. The wiring I had been testing the system with (2 of them) were both faulty. I had installed CAT5e wiring through the walls terminating in a wall plate behind the Samsung devices. I had also fabricated another long cable that I simply ran across the floor directly to my router. Both worked just fine when connected to a laptop computer. Neither, however, worked with the Samsung TV or Home Theater, which caused me to incorrectly conclude the cables were okay. In my case the issue was the 8P8C connectors. I reinstalled new connectors and it works like a charm!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.