Samsung forum

Rant

Samsung TV - 2 dead control boards in 2 years?

by sjlewis78 / January 13, 2013 11:52 AM PST

I officially have regrets about putting all of my consumer electronics eggs in one manufacturer. Since purchasing a new home in 2010, I have accumulated 3 TVs, 2 cell phones, a tablet, a Washer and Dryer, (you get the picture) all from Samsung thinking they are high quality products.

My first purchase in 2010 was a 46 inch LCD TV. In September, just before the second year of enjoyment, the TV would not power on. Reluctantly I paid the exorbitant 300 dollar repair bill for a new control board. It's even more ridiculous, that I paid 100 dollar a month for the use I got out of it, because once again my Samsung TV is just a very expensive mirror, same issue - won't power on, no clicking, nothing but a solid red light of death.

Also, I am dreading calling the customer service line for Samsung. For last repair, I contacted them and by the time I hung up the phone I felt bullied for asking simple question like, "Is this a known defect?"

There is no way I am going to spend more on repairs for this obviously defective product or any other Samsung product again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung TV - 2 dead control boards in 2 years?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung TV - 2 dead control boards in 2 years?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Samsung TV - 2 dead control boards in 2 years?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 12:30 AM PST

Hi sjlewis78,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
The result.
by sjlewis78 / January 15, 2013 11:15 AM PST

Confirmed from the technician that came today that it's the same part from 3 months ago! Wonderful control boards being produced. The labor to undo 4 screws and install this board is another 170 dollars for labor, and I was a whopping 3 days under the 90 day warranty on the part.

What a rip off.

Collapse -
Is this TV behind a surge protector?
by wpgwpg / January 15, 2013 12:52 AM PST

Pardon me for butting in here, but I've got to ask if you have a surge protector for this TV? Where I live we have a lot of thunderstorms in the spring and summer, and all 4 of my different brand TVs are behind surge protectors. The oldest of mine is a 47" 2 year old LG, then an almost 2 year old 32" Sony, a 26" Westinghouse, and 6 month old 32" Vizio. None of these have had any problems (knock, knock Happy ). The only thing I have from Samsung is a couple of laser printers which I have to say have been great.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Yes indeed.
by sjlewis78 / January 15, 2013 3:32 AM PST

Yes, my TV is plugged into a surge protector. In fact, I purchased a higher quality brand new one right after the first incident. In addition, the other devices connected to the same surge protector (cable box, Xbox 360) are still fully functional.

Diagnosis - it's the TV

Collapse -
Most recent one...
by sjlewis78 / January 15, 2013 3:58 AM PST

This is the latest one: 4117660097

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.