Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung T-CON and Main Board instructions

by tehdudeman / November 6, 2009 8:27 AM PST

Hello,

This is my first post here so I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I have a Samsung LN-T4661FX/XXA 46" LCD HDTV. It has an issue where there is a dark gray-ish shadow over the left 1/3 of the screen. This "shadow" starts almost exactly at the top center and goes down to the bottom 1/3, so it's wedge shaped with small end of wedge at the bottom, and it extends all the way to left edge, sometimes. Sometimes it is only like an 8 inch band starting again from the top center and down diagonally to the left 1/3, but not all the way to left edge. When it is banded like this, the left portion of the picture is ok, but when wedge shaped and extends to left edge, naturally the left side of picture is affected. It wiil flicker sometimes, somtimes solid. It will usually go away, and the length of time before it goes away varies. It has gotten worse to the point where every time TV is on it's there now. But wil go away and most times stay away and viewing is fine. But sometimes it will go away and then come back and go away again.

I spoke to the techs, but opted not to repair, at the time. I have purchased a new Sony 46" LCD HDTV. But I thought possibly I would try to repair the Samsung myself. I have found the supplier people suggest on this forum for parts and plan to order the TCON and Main Board the techs I spoke to thought were the problem. They said it could be either board or both that are at fault. He also talked about some small cable inside that they suspect as well and would change it out anyway since it was only a $20 part. But I can't remember what he called this cable. He was almost certain it wasn't the lamps, and didn't think it was the panel itself at fault.

If you guys think it's something other than these boards that are causing this issue, please let me know.

So I would like to know if there are instructions for replacing these boards. If so, where to find them. And if anyone may know what the name of this small cable he spoke of is and if it can be purchased where you guys get the boards. Also, aside from physically replacing these boards, are there any adjustments to be made. Any little pots to turn to adjust picture etc, after replacement.

I build computers so I imagine I can do this, but have never actually worked on flat panel monitors or flat panel TVs before. I have the normal tools to build computers, but will I need any specialty tools like volt meters etc?

Any help will b greatly appreciated.

Marc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung T-CON and Main Board instructions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung T-CON and Main Board instructions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Help????????????
by tehdudeman / November 6, 2009 10:39 PM PST

Not a single comment or offer of help?

I thought this was the place to get help???????

Collapse -
Actually.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: No Help????????????

Do it yourself TV repair is sort of a waste land of discussion forums. You will find those that don't know that and flame about it but as to parts you call the makers and ask for them.
Bob

Collapse -
Then why???
by tehdudeman / November 6, 2009 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Actually.

Then why have I seen other threads in here where people have been helped in these repairs by forum members and Samsung Techs?

I found this forum through a Google search for TCON board replecement. There were several post and comments, but none that talked about main board. So people do talk about this stuff and answers are given. Maybe my subject line is at fault for the lack of responses?

Collapse -
Chill...
by Excelcior / November 18, 2009 11:02 AM PST

Hi... I'm a freelance tech who is Samsung certified, so I know a thing or two about Sams. The cable you're referring to is the LVDS cable. Yeah, replace it. It's probably not the problem, but they go out all the time anyway. Good luck getting the parts anywhere but direct from Samsung.
Seriously, though... chill. People are more interested in helping people who are friendly Happy

Collapse -
One more thing...
by Excelcior / November 18, 2009 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Chill...

Oh, and I forgot to answer your other questions:
No, it's not likely it's the lamp, panel, or anything else. The tech you spoke to was correct. No, there are no instructions. Just be brave, and tear into it gently. You typically have to disassemble & remove the stand before you can remove the back of the unit. There will be about 30 screws on the back that all have to be removed.
And, no, there shouldn't be an settings to adjust. The only things to set on a Sam LCD or Plasma TV are on the power supply board, and that's not the problem on your TV.
Cheers.

Collapse -
Ok, I'm chilled
by tehdudeman / November 18, 2009 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: One more thing...

Thanks for the info. But what about Encompass Parts Distribution? They seem to have parts. I found both boards there but didn't look for the LDVS cable on thier site because I didn't know what it was called, now I do.

Let me ask you this: A few days ago I was going to go round back and unlpug/plug the HDMI cable to see if I could get the shadow to go away, and when I swiveled the TV it went away. Then it came back so I kind of jostled the TV kind of side to side and as I did that, the shadow flickered and then went away, it hasn't come back since. So is it possible there was just something loose and after jostling it's fixed, sort of? What could that have been that was loose if so? The LVDS cable?

dudeman

Collapse -
Shadow on lcd screen.
by chucky1992 / July 26, 2012 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, I'm chilled

I have seen that type of thing happen with lcd and crt screens. It is normally due to being close to a magnetic source. If you have a fan or something that is motorized sitting near it than that may be the issue. It could also be other electronic devices that cause it... but then that was 3 years ago so you might have figured that out by now. Happy

Collapse -
This old discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2012 9:11 AM PDT

Is now closed. If you have a new issue or information, you may start a new discussion anytime at http://forums.cnet.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.