Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung SyncMaster Monitor Suddenly Goes Blank

by solids22 / April 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT

Hey all,

I've had a Samsung SyncMaster 220WM computer monitor for several years. The monitor is connected to my laptop and it's used as a dual screen set up. I've never had any issues with it until today.

When I went to turn on my computer this morning, the laptop monitor started as usual, however my Samsung monitor turned on for about a second and then went blank. I unplugged the monitor from the computer and tried turning it off and on. It briefly displayed "Digital" and then "Analog" in the upper righthand corner of the screen (again, only for a second or so), then promptly blanked out. The monitor was powered on, but the screen was absolutely blank. None of the buttons at the bottom of the monitor were responsive.

Anyone know how to resolve this problem? Is my software out of date? For what it's worth, I haven't changed any of the computer settings or installed any new programs recently.

Thanks in advance for any time spent on my behalf!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung SyncMaster Monitor Suddenly Goes Blank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung SyncMaster Monitor Suddenly Goes Blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SyncMaster
by makita2011 / April 25, 2011 5:51 PM PDT

I had that problem for a while. I found that pressing the buttons worked and would blank out the screen or bring it on. Since it had acted up for a couple weeks, it hasn't done it since.
I would like to add. Why did they bother to include a cd disc that does not work. I have installed it, registered it, and updated it online to make sure all was OK. I still have to manually go to the screen when I want to change something. It sure would be nice to be able to use my mouse and click my choices.
It's like the old days, of having to get up walk to the tv, and change the channels. lol
My screen is 4 mos. old a SyncMaster E2220. Good luck to you in finding a cure. Makita

Collapse -
Re: SyncMaster
by solids22 / April 27, 2011 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: SyncMaster

Hmm, OK. So basically, I'm SOL and the monitor is just broken. Awesome.

Alright well, thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Syncmaster
by makita2011 / April 27, 2011 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: SyncMaster

No, I don't think your monitor is broken. All I'm saying is that I never touched the buttons, and out of nowhere the screen only showed Digital/Analog. I had to play with the menu and source buttons to get the screen to not go blank. When I registered my screen with Samsung, I thought I could get some answers. I have contacted them, asked question, even tried their community link. No answers, no luck. All I know is that I fixed it somehow, but I can not use my mouse to control the screen and have to do it manually. I find that a real pain. Sori If I gave you impression your screen no good.Maybe u would have luck contacting Samsung?
Please stay in touch, I'd like to find out why this is happening too. Makita

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.