TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung specs vs LG specs- Any differences?

by wantfryswiththat / March 11, 2013 5:29 PM PDT

Hi everybody,

I bought a Samsung LN40B650 from Fry's Electronics a couple of years ago, and thankfully bought an extended warranty too now that the TV screen went bad.

It took a long time, but Fry's finally agreed to honor their warranty but now my issue is that they got to choose my replacement TV, a LG 47LM6200.

But, I don't really like the LG- the picture quality isn't as good as my Samsung TV, and the sound is off too. Since I originally bought a Samsung, I'd rather replace it with another Samsung. Or, at this point, just fix the old Samsung instead of getting a new TV.

But, its cheaper for Fry's to get me this LG instead of fixing my TV. And, according to the extended warranty, all Fry's has to do is replace it with was the cheapest possible TV that matched the specs of my old TV.

I looked at the specs, and they seem to match- 120 Hz, 1080, etc.. Does anybody know if I'm missing a spec that will show that this replacement TV doesn't match the spec of my old TV?

I thought maybe native contrast ratio spec would be different, but I can't seem to find that spec for those TVs.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung specs vs LG specs- Any differences?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung specs vs LG specs- Any differences?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN46B650
by wantfryswiththat / March 11, 2013 5:52 PM PDT

The Samsung I had was a LN 46B650, not a LN 40B650.

Collapse -
Problems with extended warranty
by samkh / March 11, 2013 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN46B650

include what you just found out...seller has the right to replace with equivalent but not to your satisfaction. Bad customer service practice but that's life. If you see another current Samsung model that you like, why don't you ask Fry's if they can upgrade the LG? I'm sure they won't mind making a few more bucks.

Collapse -
I'll never buy an extended warranty never, ever again
by wantfryswiththat / March 17, 2013 4:24 PM PDT

The irony is that before Fry's shoved this TV in my face, I had been thinking about upgrading to a bigger TV by adding my own money on top of the value of the TV Fry's gave me. But, the value of the Fry's replacement TV was so low that it didn't seem practical. And, that was a moot point anyways since it was so difficult to even pry from Fry's to even get store credit for the one they insisted on unloading on me.

So, I'd run into that same problem by upgrading from LG to Samsung, which I originally bought. First of all, there's the issue of trying to get store credit for that TV. Then, the LG is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Samsung, which is why Fry's insisted on getting me an LG. At this point, I've been so frustrated with Fry's on so many levels over this situation that I'd hate to reward them and give them even more money if you know what I mean.

Collapse -
I'll never, ever buy an extended warranty again
by wantfryswiththat / March 17, 2013 4:24 PM PDT

The irony is that before Fry's shoved this TV in my face, I had been thinking about upgrading to a bigger TV by adding my own money on top of the value of the TV Fry's gave me. But, the value of the Fry's replacement TV was so low that it didn't seem practical. And, that was a moot point anyways since it was so difficult to even pry from Fry's to even get store credit for the one they insisted on unloading on me.

So, I'd run into that same problem by upgrading from LG to Samsung, which I originally bought. First of all, there's the issue of trying to get store credit for that TV. Then, the LG is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Samsung, which is why Fry's insisted on getting me an LG. At this point, I've been so frustrated with Fry's on so many levels over this situation that I'd hate to reward them and give them even more money if you know what I mean.

Collapse -
I'll never, ever buy extended warranty again
by wantfryswiththat / March 17, 2013 4:25 PM PDT

Collapse -
If they won't upgrade you to a better model...
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

...you will be able to improve the PQ by having it calibrated. I've had this done w/ even less expensive LCD models and it made at least some difference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.