Samsung

Resolved Question

Samsung Soundbar to TV, PS3

by frigginlasers / March 27, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

How can I hook up my Crystal Surround Air Track soundbar to the TV so it works with my satellite box and my PS3.

I have a 60 inch LED Samsung TV. not a smart tv and i'm not sure what the product number is exactly. I have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV.

Right now I have the soundbar to the TV and the satellite box to the soundbar so I get the sound from the satellite and the picture as well. But if I turn on my PS3, which is hooked into the TV via HDMI then I only get the video.

how can I get it so the I can just turn on the soundbar and get sound from everything

frigginlasers has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Soundbar to TV, PS3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Soundbar to TV, PS3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by frigginlasers

Collapse -
Bob here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

I am not an expert on this setup but my suspicions is that the PS3 is outputting better than stereo. There are deep and long discussions about pass through of HD audio so I'll spare you that and move to the usual.

Try setting the PS3 to output stereo, pcm and such.

If I wanted more than that I find myself, most of the time running an audio connection from the PS3 or other source directly to the sound system.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by frigginlasers / April 4, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob here.

I think I'm just going to end up running the PS3 to the stereo connection on the soundbar and run the satellite to the HDMI inputs. That's all I can do for now.

I can see there is another question I should've asked when making a huge purchase like an LED tv. I didn't imagine it wouldn't have sound outputs. Crazy!

Now I'm going to try to set up surround sound to the TV as well. Not sure if it's possible but like you guys said, there may be stuff online that can make these connections possible.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Let me be a little bold here. Sorry if I upset anyone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

If you watch the show (the dance of the manufacturers, retailers and more) then you learn that the system has gravitated to a system that looks a little like the following.

Content Source (BD, Cable, Game system) -> Receiver (audio processing) -> HDTV (video display).

Sure, most of us don't have the receiver and the pass through issues are mostly because of HDCP which is a long discussion on its own.

Hope this helps you see where this is going.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Soundbar to TV, PS3
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 28, 2013 1:54 AM PDT

Hi frigginlasers,

I'd love to help. Could you let me know what the model codes are for various products? On the TV, you can find it on the back; or more easily, you can find it by going to: Menu > Support > Contact Support.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Codes
by frigginlasers / March 31, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

Model Code UN60EH6003
Software Version T-M9RFAUSC-1003.1

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Samsung Soundbar to TV, PS3
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Codes

Hi frigginlasers,

OK, thanks for that. This model of TV has no sound output whatsoever. So you'll need to connect the PS3 directly into the sound bar. If you can tell me the model of the sound bar, I can give you some recommendations for setup's that way as well.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: Model number of soundbar
by frigginlasers / April 2, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

This is very frustrating!! How can they make a soundbar so limited. Most people have a cable or satellite box and a blu ray.

My model number of the soundbar is HW-E350.

Give me some options so that I can have both hooked up at the same time. I don't care if I have to switch inputs I just don't want to have to unplug a wire and plug in another each time.

Very frustrating products!! No sound output.........you gotta be kidding me!!

Collapse -
Re: Model number of soundbar
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2013 1:48 AM PDT

Hi frigginlasers,

I understand your frustration. My best recommendation to avoid having to switch cords around is this: on one of your devices, connected it HDMI to the sound bar, and connect the sound bar via HDMI to the TV. Then on the other device, connect it up via optical to the sound bar, and then connect up the video to the TV via HDMI.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

HD Tech

Collapse -
I could've told myself that
by frigginlasers / April 3, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

I was hoping you had a different answer so that I can just turn the TV on and whatever is on will go through the soundbar.

Did you even see the inputs on the back of my soundbar. You can't just run that to a PS3, you have to get a female adapter because of the inputs on the PS3. auggh, nice tech guy ya got!

But thanks for your help anyway. I wouldn't call yourself a Samsung HD Tech though.

Off to another website to solve the problem.

Collapse -
Re: ok.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 4, 2013 12:06 AM PDT

Hi frigginlasers,

Well, that's the only hook up that would work given the models you chose. You might be able to do more with some 3rd party equipment, but I can't recommend anything. Perhaps Bob would like to chime in at this point to give his recommendations.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.