Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Soundbar question (HT-WS1R)

by tim5051 / February 2, 2010 9:31 PM PST

I purchased this soundbar about a month ago and up until yesterday, I had it connected, via optical cable, to my Samsung LN40A550. Since PCM was the only audio output from my television, I could only use it on on my soundbar, therefore I connected it to my Samsung BDP3600 blu-ray player, which has Dolby and already sounds much better.

However, when I try to watch TV, no sound is coming out through my soundbar, only through the TV speakers. I tried turning the external speakers on my TV off and I still have that problem. When it was previously connected to my TV, I was able to use the soundbar for my TV, Blu ray, Wii and X-Box 360. Now that I disconnected the audio optical cable from the TV and put it to my blu ray player, why can I only hear sound when the blu ray player is on.

I'm sure that I am doing something wrong, so all help will be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Soundbar question (HT-WS1R)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Soundbar question (HT-WS1R)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
??
by tim5051 / February 3, 2010 7:44 AM PST

anyone??

Collapse -
Soundbar.....
by carlgod / February 3, 2010 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: ??

You need to connect the soundbar with the tv, via optical cable, there are optical switches that will allow you to connect up to 3 devices to the soundbar. For less than $10. you can solve your problem. Look for the manual switches at Amazon, Monoprice, etc.

Collapse -
optical
by tim5051 / February 4, 2010 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Soundbar.....

"You need to connect the soundbar with the tv, via optical cable, there are optical switches that will allow you to connect up to 3 devices to the soundbar."

The problem with that is my T.V only outputs PCM and not Dolby, which sounds better, IMO. When I connect it to the Blu Ray player,Dolby is coming out of the soundbar. Is there a way to connect the optical cable to the blu ray, yet still get sound out of my tv when the blu ray player is off, or should i look for the optical switch? Thanks alot.

Collapse -
Optical switch
by carlgod / February 4, 2010 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: optical

As far as I know, we can get only PCM from the tv. In my case, I have an UN55B8000, cable box and a ps3, and I connect the the stb with the tv via HDMI, from the stb to the optical switch to the soundbar via optical cables, so I am able to listen Dolby. The same with the ps3, connected to the tv via HDMI, from the ps3 to the optical switch to the sounbar via optical cables. So the sound to get from the soundbar depends on the sound signals from the stb, ps3, blueray players, etc.

Collapse -
optical
by tim5051 / February 4, 2010 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Optical switch

So, if I am reading this correct, being that you do not have the soundbar connected to the TV, you have an optical cable connecting the PS3 to the soundbar and ANOTHER optical cable connecting the cable box to the soundbar. So, you have a total of 2 opticals.

I have a Verizon Fios cable box and I was able to get Dolby through that, when I tried connecting the cable box to the soundbar.

LOL, this is a pain. When I had the one optical cable hooked up to my Samsung LCD, it worked with all of the inputs, but only in PCM mode, which obviously is not as good as Dolby.

Is this correct? Again, thank you very much for your help.

Collapse -
Optical switch
by carlgod / February 5, 2010 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: optical

That is why I suggest to get the optical switch. You can connect your fios cable box, your blueray player an another device to the optical switch,(3 inputs, 3 optical cables); then the switch will be connected to the soundbar with an optical cable. The optical switch that I am talking about, has 3 imputs and 1 output. The only problem with this switch is that is manual, I have to move the selector, for the device that I want to play.

Collapse -
optical switch
by tim5051 / February 5, 2010 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Optical switch

I know exactly what you are talking about. I saw it on Amazon for 10 bucks.

Thanks a lot!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.