Samsung

Question

Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly

by littlebird1186 / June 28, 2011 6:49 AM PDT

We bought a Samsung HW-C450 soundbar from Best Buy not too long ago. The sound is amazing and it works great, except for that we will be in the middle of watching a show or a movie and the sound will just stop. We have to turn the soundbar off and then back on for the sound to come through again.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 sound cuts out randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 28, 2011 7:42 AM PDT

littlebird1186,

Collapse -
Samsung Soundbar HW-C450 cuts out randomly II
by MASTERPCJIMBEAUX / August 30, 2011 9:28 AM PDT

Hello,

Collapse -
HW-E550 Random Loss of Sound
by Kevin2409 / September 7, 2012 1:26 PM PDT

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem with the below.

TV: Samsung PN60E8000
Sound Bar: Samsung HW-E550
Direct TV

I'm just getting a random 1 to 2 second loss of sound. Sometimes it seems to be every 10 min or so sometimes 20 min but either way it is very annoying and should not be doing this.

I've tried to connect via HDMI 1, HDMI 2, & Optical with no change. I have not tested Bluetooth or USB yet because I simply do not use those features.

This has been a problem since the day I hooked up the sound bar about two months ago.

Just did it again while typing this message. It's been at least 20 min since the last loss of sound.

Totally random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Collapse -
Re: HW-E550 Losing Sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 10, 2012 1:17 AM PDT

Hey Kevin2409,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you test something for me? It sounds like you bought these together and have had them connected since you started. Any chance you can test for me without the sound bar connected to see if there's any change. Also, since I see these are both rather new models, any chance you could connect up the new sound bar to your old TV to see if it behaves in the same way?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Sound dropping out
by bjago / September 10, 2012 11:49 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with my samsung soundbar. the sound drops out and comes back. i was listening to the us open and it happened A LOT. now, watching a dvr recording it isn't happening as often.

i am using an optical cable.

help!!

barbara

Collapse -
Kevin2409: Random loss of sound
by Rory1230 / December 30, 2012 11:37 AM PST

Exact same experience. What did you end up doing to resolve? Thanks.

Collapse -
Same Issue HW-E550
by scarfacenyny / February 3, 2013 3:43 PM PST

I'm having the exact same issue with my Samsung HW-E550. Not cool! Just wondering Kevin2409 did you ever get a response back from Samsung? Its been randomly cutting in and out for weeks now and its getting old. I also have multiaple units connected with various cables and get the same results

Collapse -
Answer
Talked to Samsung
by bjago / September 10, 2012 12:30 PM PDT

Samsung has no clue as to why the unit cuts out. They told me to get it serviced!

Collapse -
Also Talked To Samsung
by Kevin2409 / September 11, 2012 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Talked to Samsung

Same here bjago. I'm inconvenienced and have to send it to Samsung to get it serviced.

Now I'm taking the chance of damaging it further by not having the proper packaging. My original box is long gone at the dump.

To HD Tech,

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased the TV first and never had this issue with the sound. Started when I hooked up the sound bar.

I just purchased a smaller Samsung TV for my bedroom and I may test with it if I decide to send it off for service. To be totally honest i feel like I should not have to do any of this. I've spent way too much time trying to trouble shoot this issue and feel Samsung should send me a brand new unit after receiving my defective unit. At that point they can evaluate and figure out this problem that obviously others are having.

About to reply to email from Samsung to request new unit. Sorry but if denied I will definitely NEVER buy another Samsung product!

Will keep you posted

Collapse -
Soundbar E550 sound cuts off randomly
by BrahMan20 / January 23, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Also Talked To Samsung

To Kevin2409,

I too am plague with the exact same issue you are experiencing. Really frustrated. I had tried almost everything to resolve this problem.

What I've noticed is that this problem only occurs when watching Netflix through the Samsung TV SmartHub with the Soundbar powered on. No issues at all when using any other APPS in SmartHub.

I've called Samsung Support and they've asked me to try various things with no success. One of the Support staff said that he will be calling the Engineering Dept. regarding this issue. I will keep posted.

Do you have any updates on your side....were you able to resolve the issue?

Collapse -
Similar issue...any updates?
by AuctionJunkie247 / January 28, 2014 2:32 AM PST

I purchased the Samsung HW-FM45C soundbar this past Christmas (2013), to go along with our newly acquired Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA 40" Smart LED TV purchased in September 2013.

TV speakers operate as normal 100% of the time.

With the soundbar connected to the TV via optical cable, I've noticed the sound will randomly cut out for seconds at a time on the soundbar when watching Netflix via the SmartHub app. (I have muted the TV sound, so I can easily determine when the soundbar drops out.) I haven't noticed the soundbar cutting out when watching youtube music videos or regular television, so I would venture to believe it has something to do with Netflix?

As some have recommended, I used an air duster on the optical cable/ports to ensure there wasn't something simple like dust causing the issue. I will be testing another optical cable in the near future, but seeing as how that doesn't appear to be the issue because the problem is not consistent, I doubt the cable is the issue.

Has anyone determined a root cause/solution to this issue?

Collapse -
Re: Similar issue...any updates?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2014 12:56 AM PST

Hi AuctionJunkie247,

Have you tried changing the audio output on the TV to PCM? (menu > sound > SPDIF > audio output)

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Wireless connection
by jaybird671 / March 23, 2014 1:03 PM PDT

I have the same problem as stated by the other, random "silences". But my Soundbar is connected wirelessly not by optic cables and the sound setting is on PCM? Could dust in the ports still make this happen?

Collapse -
Re: Wireless connection
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2014 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless connection

Hi jaybird671,

Have you tried an optical or HDMI connection to see if the same issue occurs?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
wireless
by jaybird671 / March 26, 2014 1:31 AM PDT

Yes i did and i still had same issue.

Collapse -
Re: wireless
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 28, 2014 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless

Hi jaybird671,

Do you notice this happening on all sources, or just when using apps?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
tv
by jaybird671 / March 28, 2014 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: wireless

Only when watching tv.

Collapse -
PCM
by stryker1976 / May 22, 2014 12:31 PM PDT

I changed the setting on my TV and Directv receiver to PCM and so far so good. No loss of sound. Fingers crossed.,

Collapse -
Another discussion found
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Talked to Samsung

Another discussion ended when the owner used canned air on the optical ports and cable ends. Seems a bit of dust had got in there. This may or may not help here but it does bring up a good issue. Maybe optical wasn't such a great idea for consumer products?
Bob

Collapse -
I wish it was that easy
by bjago / September 12, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

my soundbar (which i returned to walmart yesterday) worked fine when i was streaming netflix. it just didn't work consistently with the dish. so i don't think it was the optical cable.

Collapse -
There are issues with APPS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 5:06 AM PDT

My post is to share a problem that crops up now and then.

However APPS are a big issue. As many APPS are not under the control of this maker, you can't count on them to work or work with accessories.

There is a good example out there in Microsoft and PC makers. Let's say I get some Dell and some Dell accessory and then an APP. Dell can't assure us that it will all work.

It's unclear how the Smart TV and tablet makers are going to deal with this but we need to watch this closely and play our consumer card and vote with our wallets and return stuff that doesn't work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by Grahamlavanta / January 12, 2013 6:41 AM PST

We are having the same issue. We recently bought a Samsung TV 40 S5500 and thought the sound was a bit tinny so bought the HW-C450 sound bar. As recommended I connected both using a digital optical audio lead. This worked fine for a day or two then the sound started to cut in and out every few minutes, only for an instant but very annoying. Is this an issue with the unit or the cable? Obviously easier to change the cable but will try anything to get this sorted out.

Seeing this forum it is not an isolated problem - what should I do now?

Graham

Collapse -
Answer
soundbar ey?
by zoydsta / January 12, 2013 11:31 PM PST

Glad I to see other people having this issue... or am I? Would be nice to find a solution or Samsung's corporate reach out to actually help consumers that purchase their products: please stop with the auto response of "I'm sorry to hear..." without providing a solution. WTH?

My soundbar started cutting out randomly for like a second at a time, missing key words of dialog, disrupting the joy of watching and listening to our new product. That's a lot of money to invest in a company that cannot follow through on a BAD product. Fix it Samsung!

Collapse -
Not fixable it seems. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: soundbar ey?

The last dozen sound bar issues my brother fixed (he works for a home theater company) was not due to product flaws. It was either a setting or dust on an optical port.

The setting issue is going to be with us for years as products have to work with many things. The dust issue could be considered a design flaw but then it works so well that I would cringe at the alternative.
Bob

Collapse -
ha ha ha
by zoydsta / January 13, 2013 2:10 AM PST

it's brand new, bought with the TV, brand new... dust collects immediately then according to your theory Bob, will blow out the ports none-the-less, which port? both? ha ha ha, dust in the optical port! I looked with a magnifying glass, no dust, but I blew it out anyway...

Now stand on your head till you pass out, no more frequent & random audio blips!

Collapse -
So you fixed it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: ha ha ha

Any how, the issue is pretty well known and we also have insects that set up home in these things. My brother has an almost endless amount of stories.
Bob

Collapse -
no... where is Samsung when I need them
by zoydsta / January 13, 2013 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: So you fixed it?

no, standing on my head did not fix it, i sure wish it was only about dust but not in this case, not insects either... Samsung HELP please!!!

Collapse -
At the top of this forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 9:09 AM PST

Is the post about contacting them. In the USA we have 1800SAMSUNG and www.samsung.com. Are you using all the possible contact methods?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: here I am
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 12:34 AM PST

Hi zoydsta,

You stated this product was brand new. Then that must mean you don't have the HW-C450, since that was manufactured in 2010. What's your model?

HD Tech

Collapse -
oh yes HW-E450
by zoydsta / January 15, 2013 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Re: here I am

it's an E450, can you please help? we aren't using cuz it's so annoying, but when it works it's so nice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.