Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung SMART will not connect to Netflix

by GFS717 / January 6, 2013 5:50 AM PST

I have a new SMART TV, model UN55ES6150FXZA. It will not connect to NetFlix. It connects to all other apps. I have read other discussions & talked to Samsung and Netflix for hours. I have: assured TV firmware is latest; reset SmartHub; reinstalled SmartHub; changed DNS to manual 8.8.8.8; changed DNS to 8.8.4.4; changed DNS to 75.75.75.75; set clock to manual; set clock to auto. Nothing works. HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung SMART will not connect to Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung SMART will not connect to Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Samsung SMART will not connect to Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 12:03 AM PST

Hi GFS717,

I'm sorry that this has given you so much trouble, and thanks for letting me know what you've tried thus far. It'll really speed things up.

Could you add some more details on your connection: are you using a wired or wireless connection? If possible, what's the model number for the wireless access point/switch/router that you've connected to?

Also, what is your description of the error that Netflix gives you?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Wireless information
by GFS717 / January 8, 2013 9:17 AM PST

I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme wireless modem.
Very interesting, I went to try the Netflix app, and it isn't there! I reinstalled it.
When trying to use the Netflix app I get a message "We're unable to connect you to Netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp for guidance."

Collapse -
Mr. Samsung Brand Ambassador: What do I do?
by GFS717 / January 19, 2013 11:46 PM PST

Mr. Samsung Ambassador: what do I do? return the TV to the store? Ask for a service technician? Wait for a firmware update?

Collapse -
Re: What do I do?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2013 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Tried this, does not work
by GFS717 / February 10, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: What do I do?

I tried this:
connected to Netflix
Got message "could not connect..."
entered series of arrows
screen changed to ESN: & BACK button
Nothing happens, no buttons add anything to screen
hit BACK button

Did not connect to Netflix

Collapse -
Re: Tried this, does not work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2013 2:58 AM PST

Hi GFS717,

Let me summarize everything and ask some rather specific questions:

Product model code: UN55ES6150FXZA
The exact error or behavior: "It will not connect to NetFlix. It connects to all other apps."
When the issue began: ???
Troubleshooting attempted: TV firmware is latest; reset SmartHub; re-installed SmartHub; changed DNS to manual 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4; 75.75.75.75; set clock to manual/auto; and tried deactivating Netflix.

Firmware version: 1026.1?
Smart Hub version: ???
App version: ???

Connection Speed to ISP: ???
Network environment: Wired/Wireless (Home/Office/Public)
Router model: ???

For Wireless
Distance to Wireless Router: ???
Channel Broadcasting: ???

Network Info
MAC address: ???
IP address: ???
Gateway: ???
DNS server: 75.75.75.75?
Unique ID/ ESN number: ???

How to find this network info: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=341966&modelname=&modelcode=UN55ES6150FXZA

How to find firmware version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=406101

How to find out the Smart Hub version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=409288

How to check App version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=406311

HD Tech

Collapse -
similar
by killallninjas / January 8, 2013 1:25 PM PST

I'm gonna keep it short...relatively...
I'm pushing 8 hours on the phone time with Samsung, Netflix, and ISP. They all point the finger at someone else. My UN55ES6100 was working flawlessly until around Christmas, at which time my Netflix app couldn't connect. All other internet based apps work fine. Samsung Blu Ray player= exact same issue. Hardwired directly to the modem= same issue. Netflix works fine via wireless network on PS3, iphone, and 2 mac laptops. After a few rounds of everyone blaming the other 2, Samsung says they'll send out a tech for a repair. This TV is 4 weeks old.... no way. I return the TV and the Blu Ray. Exchange the TV for another UN55ES6100, just in case, and exchange the Samsung Blu Ray for a Panasonic. Guess what? The TV responds the exact same AND the Panasonic can't connect to Netflix, either. Internet and modem are working flawlessly, per ISP. Netflix now says 'Eh, it must be the Samsung, and now the Panasonic, too. Definitely not us.' ISP says it's definitely Netflix or Samsung AND Panasonic.... and around and around we go.
Oh, I also bought a new router, just in case, and no change. I really just want someone to own up to the problem. I'm thinking about spending the extra cash on a SONY, since my PS3 isn't having any problems, but the fact the Panasonic is having problems is making me wonder. This is probably the most confused I've ever been in my life.

Collapse -
Just FYI....
by killallninjas / January 11, 2013 6:22 AM PST

For all of you having this Samsung/ Netflix app problem, I share this so you can at least know:

So, the Samsung service technician showed up today. Of course, he showed up during one of the few times in the past month the Netflix App has been functioning. (I'd say in the past month it has sporadically worked approximately 5 times for a couple hours at a time.) Hopefully, it'll continue to work.....

Anyways, the good part. Finally, this technician admits that there has been an issue lately with Samsung and the Smart Hub functioning, in general. He says that a firmware update was supposed to have been ready to go last week, but it isn't ready, yet. Hmmm... Samsung has been working to fix an issue that they repeatedly told me they've 'never heard of'. HA! So Samsung IS AWARE OF THEIR PROBLEM. They are just playing spin control, and playing dumb to all of our complaints. Not appreciated. He suggested I should wait a week and see if the new firmware update straightens things out when it is released.

Collapse -
Netflix Samsung connecting problem fix
by Deeohgie69 / December 2, 2013 11:53 AM PST

I had the same problem and these two things are the most common cause.
1. Make sure the correct time and date on your tv is set correctly because Netflix uses the time so it has to be correct.

2. Enter the Smart Hub and using the TV remote, then press FFWD 289 REW. Then scroll down to select your country. For some reason sometimes the tv smarthub loses what country you're in, and since Netflix uses the time it has to be on the correct country for it to work. These two are for Netflix only, all the other apps will connect without doing it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.