Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Smart TV Wireless Keyboard

by micklejohn / May 29, 2011 10:08 PM PDT

Hi,
Is there any news on the horizon about the possibility of a full size wireless keyboard for smart tv's.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV Wireless Keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV Wireless Keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

micklejohn,

Collapse -
bluetooth keyboard for D-Series
by shorty_1965 / May 31, 2011 9:15 PM PDT

Hi,

it would be really very nice to get the possibility to connect a wireless keyboard to the new D-Series TV
e.g. D8000. Wifi or bluetooth

or at least via USB

My Samsung Galaxy S2 doest offer a KEYBOARD functionality via the remote app of samsung.
WHY NOT?

regards

Collapse -
Good question.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 9:20 PM PDT

Do Sony, LG or other makers have it? Then that might influence your buying decision. if enough people quit buying Samsung for that reason, I'm sure they'll think of something soon.

Kees

Collapse -
Remote Keyboards for TVs
by shannonZA / August 19, 2011 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question.

I bought my D6600 a few weeks ago and was massively disappointed about the lack of keyboard support for internet browsing. However it seems that LG has exactly the same problem. No support for generic USB keyboards.

It seems that the TV manufacturers are primary focused on the app and consuming media approach where do are not using your tv to type emails etc. Which is a pity because next years model will probably support that Wink

Since this is my first flatscreen (non-CRT TV) purchase (I own 4 CRT's throughout the house), my next purchasing decision is going to be based on which manufacturer attempts to introduce this support sooner.

I've already accepted that despite a massive amount of my hard earned cash (ZAR20 000) for the 46inch 3D model, this isnt going to support the type of internet usage i had envisaged. I'll pay the exhorbitant cost (ZAR1000) for the Samsung QWERTY remote eventually when I've given up other avenues Wink

Collapse -
Please complete what is otherwise a great package.
by DucatiRacer / July 6, 2011 10:07 AM PDT

To Samsung HD Tech--thank you for listening and responding to consumer comments and perspective. This Samsung Web Browser lack of product functionality is an easy issue to address. Your customers and the market in general, are asking in no uncertain terms, for a product feature that really is essential to user experience and product usability, with regards to Samsung Smart TV's. A basic keyboard with touchpad incorporated will address most every user frustration and concern with what is otherwise a fabulous product. Samsung TV's are among the best on the market no doubt--this small addition will address the one glaring problem with this otherwise great package.
While the market fully understands manufacture's desires to hold back simple interface with competing brands and products, this proprietary mentality of not letting Samsung TV's work with would-be solutions (like any off-the-shelf USB keyboard and mouse), makes people regret their decision to buy your product. Much in the same way Apple users are blocked from viewing Flash and using other services--this causes backlash in the market. Open source the essentials, allow driver downloads--or at least offer a feasible solution to such fundamental flaws...this will go further towards generating profit than obstructionism ever will.

Collapse -
Please complete what is otherwise a great package
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

DucatiRacer,

Collapse -
Noted is one thing DOING SOMETHING is another!
by rykpage / May 5, 2012 10:06 PM PDT

Customers are seeking action and deliverables... React and respond and you will start to capture market share in leaps and bounds

Collapse -
Samsung D8000 Smart TV
by mrtoad69 / July 20, 2011 7:32 PM PDT

Just bought the UN46D8000YF, Great picture but to move the curser when on the internet is impossible.
To have such a sophisticated, thin and advanced piece of electronic equipment without the proper means to move around the screen and select items with a wireless mouse is very short sighted.

Collapse -
Mouse
by mrtoad69 / July 21, 2011 6:07 PM PDT

I am only looking to adapt a track ball or mouse.
If you can inform the powers that be, it would make allot of unhappy Samsung customers happy and help increase their sales. i am in the market for three more larger Smart TVs but have seen the problems with the one I have and will search for a more friendly system if Samsung can't improve their remote operation.
Thank you for your help and interest in this design flaw.
Stan

Collapse -
Mouse
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2011 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Mouse

mrtoad69,

Collapse -
Definition of a Design Flaw
by DucatiRacer / July 22, 2011 8:47 AM PDT

HDTech--first off, thank you for taking to time to monitor your customers concerns, and to escalate issues as we work together towards resolution. Please note that market feedback may be the greatest measure of success or failure of products and ultimately companies.

Your customers are telling Samsung in no uncertain terms that one aspect of what are otherwise most certainly the best televisions in the world is severely lacking. If one of the buildings that I develop has a leaking roof structure, then we've either had poor installation, product failure or we made an architectural design flaw. If our HVAC system works, but is nearly impossible to regulate...we've likely made a design flaw. Any items in our buildings that are not user friendly or do not work as any reasonable person would expect, could indeed be due to design flaws. Call it what you will...bottom line, the internet user interface of Samsung televisions is not at all user friendly and several easy solutions are readily available, should Samsung chose to allow their compatibility or integration. This is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of this discussion, regardless of product progress to date.

If proprietary feature integration is an issue for some reason, then products like this Logitech PS3 wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad and other similar options have been available for years: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/3616 And the technology has been available for over a decade to do what is being asked--Samsung simply needs to incorporate connectivity and functionality. The company is too capable for me to believe that this is anything more than a choice not to offer this usability and feature in some form.

Bottom line--your customers are telling Samsung that there is a big problem. Quality, reliable and user friendly web integration into the home theater is long overdue, and too important a feature going forward...if Samsung doesn't get this right, someone else will. When my customers start speaking this loudly and emphatically, I listen carefully and move quickly.

Collapse -
Definition of a Design Flaw
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2011 1:50 PM PDT

DucatiRacer,
<div>
I asked it as a courtesy. It wasn't a requirement. Just a request.
</div>

Collapse -
None made
by DucatiRacer / July 22, 2011 11:33 PM PDT

No accusations made or intended...just a reinforcement of how critical this issue is. Customers are taking the time and effort to try to assist Samsung. There could be no greater compliment, regardless of dialog semantics. Now--I truly hope to see action and results following all the talk...

Collapse -
I disagree Sir.
by r_cart / August 6, 2011 12:00 PM PDT

I respectfully disagree Sir. It is is a design flaw. The mouse and the keyboard are the essential parts of any computer system. More so when you are web browsing. The mini keyboard supplied with the smart TV, is very much lacking. I agree that there are other good functions to this product. But I feel Samsung dropped the ball on this feature of it. I am prepared to forgive this failure if Samsung will take priority in getting a full size wireless keyboard with mouse or touch pad features, on the market as soon as possible. we all make mistakes!!!!!

Collapse -
This is not a computer system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I disagree Sir.

It's a TV. Folk are expecting the full PC Experience and what can be written except it's not what folk want.
Bob

Collapse -
Not so smart
by Himace / February 11, 2012 1:11 AM PST

No I don't expect a pc experience, I expert a different experience. My Mom likes to see pictures of my grandson that are posted on Facebook by my daughter, we normally hudle around my phone or my iPad. Using the smart TV is a perfect way for me to sit with her and have her enjoy the Facebook experience, she gets thrilled and as a result so do I. To use Facebook just logging on th firt time was difficult and frustrating, new technology shouln't be that way. If anyone has tracked the success of Apple it is because the user experience of their products is exceptional. I think Samsung did not have a "design flaw" they had a vision flaw. There is no doubt they can do any design they want to do. I love the smart TV but it has an app called Facebook that works best with a good keyboard . I see there is a new voice control device in the works but there needs to be a keyboard. I am also wondering why anyone at Samsung would need to defend their design. Learning from customers is "smart".

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Not so smart

There's a nice article about how this is OK for the first adopters but that group has bought and now the rest will not put up with less than easy. Many expected more from the browser. HDTV makers have come a long way in 3 years. But it's not there yet (in my opinion.)
Bob

Collapse -
Great tv, pity lack of mouse and keybord
by JensWolf / August 24, 2011 10:00 PM PDT

Dear Samsung

Collapse -
USB keyboard and mouse
by imagii / May 18, 2012 6:45 AM PDT

I just got a 6100 smart TV and my very old USB keyboard and mouse work just fine. Don't know if this helps or not. Of course, I would love a wireless keyboard and mouse, along with a wireless dvd player to use with the TV so I don't have to hook up my mac to the TV.

Collapse -
Please don't bother the Samsung customer service anymore
by Epikurosz / May 18, 2012 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: USB keyboard and mouse

The aren't here for your convenience.
I recently discovered that personal video recording (PVR) also has several restrictions. Some people started to install a user-developed widget called SamyGo. So, here we have a half-finished product line, and we can start to develop ur own solutions to use the full capabilities of these "smart" TV-sets. The developers paid by Samsung are OK, they enjoy their salary and can go for surfing to the Hawaian islands.

Collapse -
???
by knight1fox3 / May 21, 2012 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: USB keyboard and mouse

How did you accomplish this? Did you just plug the keyboard/mouse into the USB ports directly on the TV? If that works, I'd have no problem doing this. You can get some fairly lengthy USB extension cables. Anything would be better than moving that pointer around with the arrow keys on the remote. LOL

Collapse -
Don't be ridiculous!
by Epikurosz / May 21, 2012 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

Just connecting a USB keyboard or a mouse will not help. Maybe the SamyGo widget will allow this, but I uninstalled after all, because it has many risks. You can even make your TV unusable without any possibility of repair.

Collapse -
Please take care
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't be ridiculous!

to keep these discussions civil.

Thank you.

Mark

Collapse -
USB keyboard and mouse
by imagii / June 2, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

I have an old Macally iKey keyboard and a Logitech mouse plugged into it. I plugged the keyboard into the USB port, marked HDD 5V 1A if this means anything, on the TV. I went to the Microsoft browser page. The TV pops up with the new device being plugged in pop up square and asked if I want to make changes to the keyboard. I click on no. Then a grey virtual keyboard appears on the screen. I don't use that one. I click on the search rectangle with the mouse, and then the keyboard keys start working. They don't work if you don't click on the entry point in the rectangle with the mouse. Voila, it works for me. Don't ask me why it works, though.

Collapse -
Samsung smart tv 6000 series
by 8485maa / June 1, 2012 1:11 AM PDT

I am glad someone made their point clear. Another problem with the 6000 series, you cannot upgrade it like the 7000 and 8000-but this is not that important.

The important issue here is having a wireless keyboard or a mouse for the 6000 series; the intent of purchasing a smart tv was to have everything at your fingertips. I would settle with a mouse having a long extension cord.

Collapse -
by Mishegaas / September 13, 2011 4:12 PM PDT

Dear Samsung,

I also purchased the D6600 Smart TV and would love a wireless keyboard and mouse. I think an off the self Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will do wonders at minimum expense to Samsung.

Here a few example of low cost products:

1. Kaiser Baas BT-100 Bluetooth Mini Keyboard.

2. Rii Tek Mini Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard with Touch Pad Combo - Laser Pointer - Works with iPad

I look forward to your feedback.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 15, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

Mishegaas,

Collapse -
Dragging your feet
by gabort / November 8, 2011 11:33 PM PST

First, I understand this flame is not supposed to be directed towards you, please pass it on. I know your job is to reply to "community posts", so don't take it personally.

Collapse -
Wireless keyboard and mouse
by Mishegaas / November 16, 2011 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Dragging your feet

Samsung, please put a keyboard and mouse solution as a priority, not to mention plenty other issues with the firmware of the Smart TVs. The functionality of the PVR really suck.

Collapse -
Not looking for 'holding' statements or fob offs!
by rykpage / May 5, 2012 10:11 PM PDT

Samsung, please put a keyboard and mouse solution as a priority,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.