Samsung

Question

Samsung Smart TV UN32EH5300 wireless connection problem

by BJ797 / May 23, 2013 2:55 PM PDT

I've spent hours searching the Internet, this forum, called Samsung and still can't find a solution. I apologize if this has been answered before.

I just bought this Smart TV and was able to hook up using a wired connection whereupon it immediately uploaded the latest firmware. But it fails with the wireless connection. It sees my router and I enter the password. It tries but then fails and gives the message to turn the router off and on again or to check to see if I need a security key. Turning the router off and on didn't help and removing the security key didn't either. The security key is set to one capital letter and 9 numbers. I have two laptops at home that connect to the Internet through the router with no problem. The TV is currently 3 feet from the router.

The router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. I have downloaded the latest firmware. I have tried the following security settings: none, WEP, WPA-PSK [TKIP], WPA2-PSK [AES], WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. The channel is set to 11 (also tried 6). I tried the modes: b only, g only, g and b, Auto 108Mbps. (With Auto 108Mbps, the channel automatically set to 6)

The advanced settings are:

Enable Wireless Router Radio - on
Enable SSID Broadcast - on
Fragmentation Threshold - 2346 (Also tried 2306)
CTS/RTS Threshold - 2346 (Also tried 2306)
Preamble Mode - Automatic

Disable Advanced 108Mbps Features - off
Enable eXtended Rang (XR) Feature - on

Wireless Card Access List - off

LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address 192.168.1.1
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
RIP Direction - none
RIP Version - Disabled

Use Router as DHCP Server - on
Starting IP Address 192.168.1.2
Ending IP Address 192.168.154

The only solution I have found so far is to buy a new router that supports 802.11n. Is that the only solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV UN32EH5300 wireless connection problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV UN32EH5300 wireless connection problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Smart TV UN32EH5300 wireless connection problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 23, 2013 11:31 PM PDT

Hi BJ797,

I'm sorry to hear about this. May I ask if you have another Wi-Fi access point you could try? Like for instance, could you try one on your smartphone, just as a test?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by BJ797 / May 24, 2013 11:31 AM PDT

I took the TV to work to access the wireless router there. At first it didn't work. Then I changed to access the IP address automatically and it did work fine. I brought the TV home and tried the same thing. It fails as before. Do I need to buy a new router?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2013 7:56 AM PDT

Hi BJ797,

Thanks for clarifying that. I hope it doesn't come to that, but at this point, I think we can say that there's something going on between the TV and the router that's not right. You said that you've let the TV automatically acquire its IP address now. Could you go here and let me know what information listed: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=341966

Specifically, I'd like the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by BJ797 / May 29, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

Hi HD Tech,

After entering the router security key, it tries to connect but returns with a failure.

The icons show a red "X" between the TV and the router.

MAC Address: 5c : a3 : 9d : 3d : 59 : 42
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS Server: 0.0.0.0

Unable to connect to the wireless router. Try the following:
- Check that the router is turned on, and if it is, try turning of and on again.
- Check if you need to enter a security key to use the router.

(As stated in the earlier post, I did both of the above.)

On the link you sent, at the bottom of the page, it says, "Once you have determined where your connection is failing, click on the link below that matches your issue." But there are no links listed. (But my browsers says the page is "Done, but with errors on page".)

Thank you.

Collapse -
by ron.saintg / May 29, 2013 10:50 AM PDT

Have you tried to manually input the IP Address, subnet mask, etc? Also, try to disable the firewall of your router if it has any

Collapse -
by BJ797 / May 30, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

Yes, I manually input the addresses in but it still failed. I tried to disable the router firewall but I couldn't find anything - so maybe it doesn't have one. ???

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 30, 2013 12:51 AM PDT

Hi BJ797,

OK, so this tells me that the router isn't even getting connected at all to the router. I realize that's what you implied initially, but this cinches it. I assume it behaves like this even with encryption turned off, right? So let me ask you this: does your router have MAC address filtering enabled?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV UN32EH5300 wireless
by sebyhotchap / February 25, 2015 3:29 AM PST

Hi HD Tech,

I have the similar problem with the similar TV, we have been using it from 2 years, all of a sudden it stopped connecting to the net. On your support link it's the fourth picture where the red X appears between the router & the globe- the internet service fails, could you please help me out, thanks.

Seby

Collapse -
Please check the top post. Samsung has GLOBAL outage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2015 3:43 AM PST

This thread is years old so it's now closed.

Collapse -
Answer
by BJ797 / May 30, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

By encryption, I assume you mean the security key. Yes, I removed it and it still fails. I am at not at home now so I can't confirm about the MAC address filtering state. But as I recall, I tried leaving the router open and also limiting it to certain devices. Limiting it to only the TV did not work.

I'm ready to give up and get a router that supports 8021.11n because this will only support b and g - not n.

Collapse -
Answer
This 2005 router?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2013 2:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
This 2005 router?
by BJ797 / May 31, 2013 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: This 2005 router?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for checking in. I read all of your earlier posts when trying to solve this. I only posted when I couldn't find an answer. Yes, this is the router. I did as you suggested and it still doesn't connect.

Does this TV support "g" mode? In the only other related post where someone solved this problem, it was done by replacing the router with one that supported "n" mode.

Thanks

Collapse -
So far, the TV or adapters do support G mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: This 2005 router?

But at this age, it can be problematic and why when the office tech makes such a call will carry a spare router to test with. It really can torque folk that other things connect but as you see this more and more, some gear just doesn't work with newer devices.

Part of the troubleshooting is getting wired along with another router.

Hope you find out what it is. It could be the channel number but I read "The channel is set to 11 (also tried 6)." so that's not it. On the outside chance the router's radio has gone wonky, try 1 as well.

Bob

Collapse -
So far, the TV or adapters do support G mode
by BJ797 / May 31, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

I tried setting the channel to 1 but it didn't work either. I can access the TV via ethernet cable but the point of buying the TV was to have wireless access to the internet.

Oh well. It appears I need to buy a new router.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 4:40 AM PDT

Be sure you test that feature before you go much further. We know the browser is limited and some sites block TVs and then the Flash is again limited. Some folk go through all this and only discover the limitations later. Get wired to see if this is worth fixing.

And you do need another WiFi connection to see if it's the router or the TV. It could be the TV but until that test is done, we're not sure.

Any hope of a cell phone or PC to provide this test?
Bob

Collapse -
Wait a second
by BJ797 / May 31, 2013 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Wait a second.

I have been accessing the internet successfully with the TV via a long ethernet cable strung through the house. For testing, I moved the TV to the computer room to make sure the wireless signal was strong enough. The point of the wireless TV is that my wife doesn't want to watch movies on the computer. We have had four other laptops access the wireless router at different times successfully for at least a couple of years.

Unless anybody can think of anything else, I'll order a new router over the weekend and report next week.

Collapse -
How long?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait a second

The TV is good at about 20 feet from the router/WiFi source. I missed how far it is to the router but this post gives me a clue it's a long ways away.

These TVs and other devices look to be half the range of your common laptop. It could be too far and not a router issue at all.
Bob

Collapse -
How long?
by BJ797 / June 1, 2013 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: How long?

I wish it were that simple.

The TV is just under 30 feet from the router but it is almost in direct line of sight from the router. It sees the router with 5 bars of reception. (The cable has to go over pathways, around furniture, door, etc.)

Plus to make it easier when I did the testing, I also brought the TV to the same desk as the router. They were about 4 feet apart.

Both cases fail in the same way.

Collapse -
Read this recent post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: How long?
Collapse -
Samsung won't work with the router
by BJ797 / June 12, 2013 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Read this recent post.

Howdy all,

I tried Samsung one more time. They confirmed the TV should work with a 802.11g router. But it won't work with mine. I purchased a router that supports 802.11n and now everything is fine.

The end

Collapse -
46ES7000 wifi connection problems
by crewmeal / June 15, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

I have a 46ES7000 model and just upgraded my wifi to Apple's latest Airport extreme. I now use my o2 router as a modem. However when I tried to change the network settings on the TV it searches for networks under menu > network > network settings and finds a list of servers including Airport Extreme for a split second and then crashes and you have to press the menu button and find network settings and repeat the process again and again. After about 3 attempts it can't find any servers.

As the tv is on the wall I don't particularly want to try and hardwire the router to the tv otherwise I'll have to get the deorators in!

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Re: WiFi
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 15, 2013 8:49 PM PDT

What happens if you go back to your old configuration with only the o2 router?

Kees

Collapse -
46ES7000 wifi connection problems
by crewmeal / June 15, 2013 10:20 PM PDT

It's just the same!

Collapse -
crewmeal. See what happens?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 3:15 AM PDT

When you jump into someone's discussion you run the risk of it bottoming out.

You can see how it was fixed and I supplied another reason why it breaks. Some want Samsung to break their IP stack to accommodate broken routers. I'm of two minds on that.

Post a new post with all the details and frankly, try another router if the current router maker has no updates.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: just the same
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 5:08 AM PDT

That's impossible. If you turn off the Airport Extreme, it can't happen that it's shown.
Better start a new thread, and tell all relevant details.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.