Samsung forum

Question

samsung smart tv not finding wireless internet connections

by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 1:05 AM PDT

This is regarding my Samsung smart TV (EH5300)
No wireless networks are showing up, When it searches it will spend about 30 seconds searching but never finds any.

I did have to get a new modem recently and that is when the problem started, but all other devices are connected wireless-ly to the same network.
Even if there was a problem with my internet/modem, shouldn't other networks at least show up on the list?
Also sometimes the list appears, but after 5 sec it vanishes.

Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung smart tv not finding wireless internet connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung smart tv not finding wireless internet connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

Without details of the new router such as the SSID, what channel it's on and more I can't tell if there is any issue we can tackle here. Be sure the WiFi router is within 20 feet when troubleshooting.
Bob

Collapse -
What aout other networks
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

Im not at home atm, but if there was a problem with my router would that prevent other networks from showing up on the TV?

Collapse -
That would be easy to test for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

Just turn off the WiFi router.

Details are too slim to start but as you know, in 802.11n you only have 2 non-overlapping channels as noted at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

So your 802.11n has a 50% chance to swamp out other networks from being seen.

Details matter. If there are no more details then call it in and arrange for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
will check it out
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

ok thanks Bob, I will check it out when I get home and report back.

Collapse -
Still nothing :(
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 7:59 AM PDT

Ok, so I got home and turned off the modem/ router and then tried to find available networks-- but still nothing, pretty much the same thing that I mentioned in the first post.

So what does it mean that its not able to even find any networks?

Also another thing that I forgot to mention earlier: In the menu under network, both "Wi-Fi Direct" and "Soft AP" is greyed out. Not sure if this means anything.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Last hurrahs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Still nothing :(
Collapse -
PS. One thing I forget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Last hurrahs.

If this is a model with the USB WiFi stick, try the other ports. I know it is supposed to go in a specific one but why not try?

Collapse -
Dont Give up on me
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Last hurrahs.

-I have the latest firmware.
-tried wired (it works), but back to wireless and its back to no networks
-I have already tried resetting, but it doesnt help and while resetting there is a message that says that it does not reset the networks.
- My router channel is listed as "Auto"
- Security type is "WPA-Personal"
- Cipher type is "TKIP and AES"
- Wireless Mode = 802.11b/g/n Mixed

Thanks and dont give up on me

Collapse -
Hmm. Had issues with WPA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Dont Give up on me

Try WPA2, AES personal (no TKIP) and move to just 802.11g for a test.

Auto is usually fine but we still need the channel as it can matter.
Bob

PS. I guess I'm going to have to be more blunt. I dropped hints I can't find the manual. The full model number would be good and best would be the product link at Samsung.com along with what firmware rev the set is at.

Collapse -
model
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
As to WiFi channel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: model

I offered a link to a discussion where we tracked down the issue by checking the channel. It's in the router or some client device so it must be there. But I can't see what WiFi router is in use so I can't point to a page in the manual. Some folk get upset at the techiness of all this but the details are what guide my answers.

Did this work prior to the July 2013 firmware? If so, you may have to report it as having broke your WiFi.
Bob

Collapse -
Not at all upset
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: As to WiFi channel.

Hi Bob, I'm very grateful for your assistance with this.

The moment I swapped in the new router, was when the problem started, so I doubt the firmware had anything to do with it.

The model name for my router : CGN2-ROG, its a Hitron model

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all upset
https://www.google.com/search?q=CGN2-ROG coughs up folks with connection problems.

Now to highlight why this matters I'm going to share something TP-Link had to break in order for Samsung TVs to work with their gear. (Hey Samsung, yeah, it's OK to follow the rule book but sometimes it's going to be painful.)

Read http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=510

So there's an example of how the TV is different. Samsung has fallen into the "standards" trap and while I half agree it's also something that other driver writers know to break, smile and let the purists go down in flames.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27485761-New-Rogers-HITRON-CGN2-ROG-Cant-Stay-Online blasts right into the answer of using the bridge mode and another router.
Bob

PS. Didn't find the manual for this CGN2 ROG easily so I wonder if they hid it somewhere.
Collapse -
Im going to sound like a ...
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

IM not sure what all this means :/
Does this mean this hitron modem will not work with my samsung TV?
I dont think I can get a different modem from my internet provider.

Once again Thanks for your patience.

Collapse -
Answer
Why no other networks
by vermit25 / July 9, 2013 10:40 AM PDT

I really dont understand why it doesnt find any other networks as well.

Collapse -
To me it sounds as if the WiFi has failed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Why no other networks

If nothing is found when the ROG is off then it's time to call it in.

In the USA the 32 inch and smaller may not get home service so if you can exchange it, do that. But we've tried many things such as WPA2, reset, flip to wired and back, checked firmware and more.

It is entirely possible they have a firmware bug but I am not privy to that information.

-> Time to call it in.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by vermit25 / July 10, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

Thanks for all the help Bob, I will be taking in to a samsung service centre today, Hope all goes well.

Collapse -
by ron.saintg / July 11, 2013 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Why no other networks

Hi vermit25,

Here's the best way to isolate the issue. Try turning off your wireless router and if you have a phone with tethering feature, try to use it as a WiFi hotspot and see if the TV will recognize your phone. Lastly, (this may sound funny or weird but it wont hurt if we try), make sure that the TV is not set to demo mode. switch the source to TV > Menu > System > setup

If it doesn't see your phone as a wifi hotspot then you may have to setup the TV for service

Collapse -
by anil51138 / September 26, 2014 1:36 AM PDT

Hi Did you resolve this issue? if so can you tell me how did it get resolved

Collapse -
Look up!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 1:58 AM PDT

It appears Vermul had to take it in for repair since all the usual failed.
Bob

PS. This thread is more than 444 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Collapse -
Similar problem
by anil51138 / September 26, 2014 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Look up!

I have bit similar problem so want to know what was the resolution

Collapse -
My bet is it had to be repaired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem

I take it you completed all the above?

Collapse -
Tried almost all
by anil51138 / September 26, 2014 2:40 AM PDT

Tried almost all except the one with mobile tethering.

Collapse -
Since the call to Samsung failed, pretty clear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried almost all

It needs repair. That is, I'm taking your word you did all that was covered above.

Collapse -
PS. I can't guess if you have more than one post going.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 2:49 AM PDT

If you have a top post about all this I generally treat each post on its own. That can be confusing if I guess this post has something to do with another.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Old Thread Warning! This thread is more than 444 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 6:16 AM PDT

Old Thread Warning!

This thread is more than 444 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can make a new discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.