Samsung

Question

samsung smart tv no netflix menu

by xjeff / February 14, 2013 9:30 AM PST

I have a samsung series 6 6100 tv. I downloaded the Netflix app and I cannot see the menu i.e. new releases, instant queue, etc. that normally display on the left hand side of the screen. I get the search icon in the middle of the screen and the main categories on the left side of the screen.

The internet connection is ethernet cable and worked fine with my previous LG tv.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung smart tv no netflix menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung smart tv no netflix menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'd call that in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 9:35 AM PST

Read http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopupPrint.do?howto_guide_seq=3103&howto_guide_step_no=1&prd_ia_cd=N0000071&map_seq=15190

" When the Activation is Complete, you can begin adding movies to your Instant Queue on you PC. The titles you have added will now display on your Blu-ray player or Blu-ray Home Theater System.

Depending on the age of your model, some players will allow you to add movies directly from the player, older players will require you to use the Netflix.com website to add titles to your queue. "

So some devices let you add, some don't. Be sure to call this in and get a clear answer what it does and does not do.
Bob

Collapse -
samsung smart tv no netflix menu
by xjeff / February 14, 2013 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: I'd call that in.

This is not a blue-ray problem. The TV has a samsung netflix app. It does not show the full netflix screen i.e. no menus as i described in the original post. Its as if the display is zoomed in so that you cannot see the menus.

Collapse -
This is also seen on the TVs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 2:45 AM PST

Since I didn't have the full model number I used one of the texts I had handy about this. That is, some folk wanted to add to the instant queue on the TV. Some don't.

Hopefully the full model number will get you a better answer.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: samsung smart tv no netflix menu
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 14, 2013 11:19 PM PST

Hi xjeff,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
by xjeff / February 16, 2013 5:24 AM PST

model number: UN46ES6100FXZA

I also spent time (1 hour) with samsung support including deactivating netflix, unplugging the tv, reseting the country code, etc. They concluded it was netflix's problem.
After talking with netflix support, they concluded it was how the app is supposed to look.

An image of what I am seeing is just below "6. Netflix will now be accessible on your TV." at the following link

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=6084&howto_guide_step_no=2&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=41706&regDt=&model_name=&type_ia_cd=&page_gb=M&subtype_ia_cd=&row_index=&rel_cont=

This seems like a fairly crappy app.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 12:24 AM PST

Hi xjeff,

The image you linked to appears to be correct to me. So to summarize: it's working; you just don't get all the features you'd like out of it?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by xjeff / February 18, 2013 9:33 AM PST

HD tech

I'm not sure what you are referring to in terms of "all of the features". There are no features other than you can connect to netflix. Scrolling horizontally with three movies showing is terrible. Why don't you do something like LG?

Collapse -
It's more about what Netflix wants.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 9:39 AM PST

The app is from Netflix and as a software developer I bet they are in need of more programmers as they move to devices like TVs and BD players.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's more about what Netflix wants
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 19, 2013 6:55 AM PST

Hi xjeff and Bob,

Yep, Netflix makes the app. Sorry that it doesn't do everything you want.

HD Tech

Collapse -
NetFlix problems on Samsung SmartTV
by jrhogan590 / April 4, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

I have the same problem and with that type of response from Samsung I will NOT recommend any of there products to anyone. I have an LG TV as well and that works perfectly. If Samsung wants to promot NetFlix availablility then they better work with NetFlix to fix this.

Collapse -
Answer
I have this problem too.....
by dri18 / July 20, 2013 3:45 PM PDT

...and it is seriously hindering my use of the Netflix feature, which of course I have paid for. In particular, I need to be able to search by genre.

I'd like to know if the Samsung technician who contributed to this thread has really looked into the problem, or whether any others can contribute.

Collapse -
Only Netflix can change the app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

It's up to Netflix to change or add features to their app. I don't want to upset you but these Smart TVs are hosting apps by other companies and if the other company didn't add a feature you found on your PC version of the app, then be sure to complain to the right company.
Bob

Collapse -
...but it becomes a Samsung problem
by cbelinsky / July 27, 2013 11:52 PM PDT

I just bought a Samsung SmartTV and had this exact same issue. Like many people who buy SmartTV's, Netflix is the main application that I plan on using. If Netflix does not work properly (i.e. have all the features like genre searching that is displayed on their website), then I am just going to return the TV and buy one where it does work properly.

Collapse -
Which is what consumers should do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 4:47 AM PDT

It's like you get a Dell laptop and it came with Word and there is an issue because the version MSFT supplied to Dell didn't have something you want. In the case of a PC you can fix it, but this is an appliance and for now a closed system so to fix it, you have to do what you are doing.

It's a very interesting situation and with the new ChromeCast thing you wonder if that is what you want.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.