Samsung

Question

SAMSUNG Smart TV, NETFLIX and Sound Bars

by 77Cyclone / December 26, 2012 10:07 PM PST

I have a 46" SAMSUNG 6150 Smart TV hooked to a Polk Audio Sound Bar. I am unable to get NETFLIX or Huluplus audio through the sound bar. Audio works when played through the TV speakers. I talked to the SAMSUNG rep who had me reset the TV and update the program. Unfortunately that did not work. SAMSUNGs next step is to send out a rep.

Last night I talked to the COSTCO conscierge and their final conclusion is that there is a problem with smart TVs where the NETFLIX and HULUplus app put out the audio in code and the TV cannot decode it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG Smart TV, NETFLIX and Sound Bars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG Smart TV, NETFLIX and Sound Bars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most sound bars are stereo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 11:15 PM PST

I've had pretty good luck setting the TV and the apps to be Stereo or PCM. If you connect over optical and send 5.1 sound, most sound bars go silent. Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: SAMSUNG Smart TV, NETFLIX and Sound Bars
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2012 12:19 AM PST

Hi 77Cyclone,

Sorry to hear about this problem. If you could let me know, what's the complete model code for the TV? Also, how did you have the sound bar connected: HDMI or optical?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by 77Cyclone / December 27, 2012 12:41 AM PST

The TV is a model UN46ES6150F and the sound bar is connected with an optical cable. Everything except these two apps plays through the sound bar. However, both apps play audio through the TV speakers.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2012 1:14 AM PST

Hi 77Cyclone,

Thanks for the quick response. Any chance that you'd mind if we get some more info:
- Firmware version: 1025.0???
- Smart Hub version: ???
- HuluPlus version: ???
- Netflix version: ???

How to check Smart Hub version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=409288&modelname=UN46ES6150F&modelcode=UN46ES6150FXZA

How to check app version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=406311&modelname=UN46ES6150F&modelcode=UN46ES6150FXZA

HD Tech

Collapse -
by 77Cyclone / December 27, 2012 1:17 AM PST

I know the Firmware version: is 1025. not sure what comes after the 1025. I will have to check the others tonight.

Collapse -
RE: SAMSUNG Smart TV, NETFLIX and Sound Bars
by 77Cyclone / December 27, 2012 10:12 AM PST

I am unsure how to confirm the firmware version
The directions for confirming the smarthub version do not work. When i push fast forward, the tv tells me it is not available.
Huluplus version is 2.00241
Netflix version is 3.105

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 7:00 AM PST

Hi 77Cyclone,

I understand that method for finding the Smart Hub version is correct. But since it didn't work for you, instead please go to Smart Hub; press the tools button; and then follow this menu navigation: Settings > Properties > Details

For firmware, press the menu button: Support > Contact Samsung

I'll be taking this information and passing it along to our internal testing team, so anything else you can add to this like the complete model code for the sound bar would be great.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by 77Cyclone / January 2, 2013 9:29 AM PST

The following is correct

- Firmware version: 1025.0???
- Smart Hub version: 4.5191-5.0
- HuluPlus version: 2.00241
- Netflix version: 3.105

The sound bar is a Polk Audio Model Soundbar 3000

The connection from the soundbar to the TV is by optical cable.

77Cyclone

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV--no sound from soundbar on Netflix
by deh15 / January 2, 2013 11:06 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I get no sound from my soundbar when I connect to Netflix through my Samsung TV. I am able to get sound when I connect to Netflix through my Blu-ray player.

Samsung TV Model UN46D6400UFXZA Version H302
Smart Hub version: 3.679-60.3061
Firmware version: 1030
Netflix version: SSUN-D600-110107-000 0291747-0869(3.13)(x)

My soundbar is a Klipsch Energy Power Bar.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung Smart TV--no sound from soundbar on Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2013 2:35 AM PST

Hi deh15, thanks for giving your info. I'll be sending it along to appropriate party. -- HD Tech

Collapse -
Changed to Polk and Netflix worked
by deh15 / January 6, 2013 12:41 AM PST

I exchanged my soundbar for a Polk 5000 and the Netflix works fine with the soundbar.

Collapse -
Re: Changed to Polk and Netflix worked
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 7, 2013 11:58 AM PST

Hi deh15, thanks for letting me know.-- HD Tech

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2013 2:34 AM PST

Hi 77Cyclone,

Thanks for checking that out. I'll forward it along.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by 77Cyclone / January 6, 2013 6:16 AM PST

Any idea why the change in sound bars solves the problem?

I have a different model of Samsung, will the other sound bar work with my TV?

Is my TV a newer or older model then the one that the sound bar changed the problem? Is my TV, UN46ES6150F, a newer one or is it last years model?

77Cyclone

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 11, 2013 5:27 AM PST

Hi 77Cyclone,

I passed everything you told me to our team. I appreciate the feedback you gave me.

To answer some of your questions, your model is a 2012 model. I don't know if that factors into the problem at all, though.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
hmdi soundbar hook up
by samsmith1234 / September 28, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

Here's is how I eventually did it using my Samsung smart tv and Samsung sound bar with an HMDI hook up.
If you have a cable/dish box, then connect HMDI straight to HMDI #1 input on the TV.
Connect the sound bar HMDI output to the TV's HMDI input# 2.
It has to be the #2 input. That is the ARC input/output.
IF you have another connection (i.e. xbox, computer etc), it goes to HMDI input 3.
With this set up I get sound/voice from the Smart TV Netflix and all other sources.
Adjust for any lip sync and you are done.

Collapse -
Answer
SOLVED: The ONLY way I could get sound on Samsung Apps
by PhilJonesCRS / June 17, 2014 9:12 AM PDT

The problem: Samsung Smart TV apps would only give sound through the tinny TV speakers. There was no way to get sound to a receiver of or external speakers. All cabling solutions including ARC and optical cable were tried.

The solution: After 5 hours of search this forum and others, nothing worked. Finally used chat on Samsung's support page. 1.5 hours later:

George M: I will provide you with the steps to reset the complete TV.
George M: The TV will get back to factory defaults after the reset.
George M: Go to Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset. The default pin will be 0000.

This did it. Everything works fine. Because everything was wiped, I had to reset the speakers as external and output as digital (optical). Also had to have password info for Netflix, etc., as I had wiped everything!

Happiness. After 6.5 hours, this was the ONLY thing that actually worked. When in doubt (on ANY type of computer), REBOOT. In this case, reset to defaults.

Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.