Samsung

General discussion

Samsung Smart TV - Apps Won't Update

by Mallen22842 / February 12, 2013 10:12 AM PST

Certain apps on my Samsung Smart TV will not update. Such as Netflix and Hulu. The option to update the software through the television's menu is also grayed out.

Model Code: UN46D6000
Software Version: T-GASAKUC-1033.4
Smart Hub Version: 3.679-6.0.00061
Unique ID: **omitted for security purposes**
Netflix ESN: **omitted for security purposes**

I did a factory reset and after the television finished updating itself those applications were still set using a very old version. But, the grayed out option is now solid and I was able to use it. It told me I am using the latest software.

So three total problems here:

1. [FIXED W/RESET] I can't update the television software on demand through the remote menu. It is grayed out.
2. I can't uninstall certain apps from the television. Mainly the one's that show up in the recommended bar (above downloaded apps and below the app store / advertisement window). Such as Hulu or Netflix.
3. I can't update certain apps on demand. Neither through the Smart Hub's main screen or by diving down into the app store from the top right window. These are the same apps. Hulu, Netflix, etc.

This is very frustrating. I should be allowed some control over the applications running on my television set.

Also, a recommendation. When you all attempt to load the advertisement box it freezes up all other processing on the Smart Hub screen. I'm not saying to remove your advertising but, you need to be a little smarter with your interface resources. It's incredibly annoying to get stuck waiting for this page to load up because of 1 box on the screen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart TV - Apps Won't Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart TV - Apps Won't Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try removing them then adding them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 10:24 AM PST

As to the control, it's not a PC. It's a commercial device that is under control by its maker. There are other reasons for the update failures but try the usual and if need be make that phone call to support.

It is possible that you have the latest for your set and area. Only Samsung may know what is that current version.

If you want control, move to some PC.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Try removing them then adding them. - New!
by Mallen22842 / February 12, 2013 10:49 AM PST

Bob -

I can see you are a moderator but, your reply isn't helpful at all.

A) This television is actually a hybrid between a computer / PC and a traditional television. Otherwise it would lack the capability to access a network and download web-based apps.
B) This isn't an update failure as much as it is a lack of the ability to go in and make sure I am running the latest and greatest version.
C) Why would I move to a PC when I purchased an expensive Smart TV? That makes no sense and is horrible advice.

I would really prefer some insight from a Samsung official / representative on my issue. Thanks.

Collapse -
The Ambassador is usually here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 12:17 PM PST

Most Mondays to Fridays. I'm a little closer to the device than some as I went to the developer's seminars. It's is not a hybrid as you wrote but some think it is. No reason to argue here. If you feel it should allow such control and it does not, why keep it? It's not doing what you want so again, why tolerate a machine that does not do what you want?

My advice for about a few months after I saw what a "Smart TV" is has been unpopular with the makers. That is, don't buy it for the Smart TV. But it for picture quality and ignore the Smart TV for now. As long as they are not giving us what we want, don't give them a dime for it. I'm not popular with the Smart TV folk as you can guess.

--> There is another non-PC solution on the market. It's getting better and it's those Android on a stick devices. Those are much better in that you control it.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV - Apps Won't Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 13, 2013 1:50 AM PST

Hi Mallen,

Bob's observations are correct regarding the nature of the device. Regarding the rest of your comments 2 & 3, there are certain apps that come with the TV; we call them recommended apps. They cannot be uninstalled or moved. Generally, but not always, any updates for these apps come in a firmware bundle from us because of certain reasons.

May I ask what you were hoping to fix by updating these apps?

HD Tech

Collapse -
RE: Samsung Smart TV - Apps Won't Update
by Mallen22842 / February 13, 2013 3:23 AM PST

Specifically my wife and I use the Netflix and Hulu applications (a lot). For some reason those apps are riddled with software bugs.

1. Netflix will often not load the title and say "We were unable to locate that title" or some such message. Though you can immediately try again and the title will load just fine.

2. Netflix / Hulu will often forget that my account is attached to them and I am required to re-enter all of my account information. This is really annoying and could easily be corrected by either (a) allowing the system to remember my username / password on the log in screens and (b) attempting to re-authenticate before telling me there is a problem (true problems like a changed password or failed billing).

3. This just started recently but, Hulu is now telling me that it can't find suitable bandwidth to play the video and to chose a lower setting. I have very high bandwidth (over 10 MB downstream) and I have this sucker set to the lowest setting. I also work for the telecommunications company that provides the internet to my house. I can assure you that this issue is not a bandwidth issue.

I noticed the time stamps on those apps are from last year. I would hope that the applications are being improved upon each quarter to correct issues that are being identified by your customer base.

Also, I already mentioned before about the delay when loading the Smart Hub screen. I'm not sure why it is necessary to freeze the entire user interface while trying to load your ads in the movie box up at the top of the screen. Some better resource handling could help. I don't mind advertising but, not at the expense of the entire application being bogged down.

Thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 14, 2013 12:20 AM PST

Hi Mallen,

Actually, since this has wandered into a networking issue, there are a whole bunch of things to try. So if you don't mind, I've got this list of pieces of data to gather, so let's go at it; I'll fill out what you've told me already, and you correct.complete the rest:

Product model code: UN46D6000SF?
Firmware version: 1033.4?
Smart Hub version: 3.679-6.0.00061?
Netflix App version: ???
Hulu App version: ???

How to check App version: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=406311

Connection Speed to ISP: 10 Mbps
Network environment: Wired/Wireless (Home/Office/Public)
Router model: ???

For Wireless
Distance to Wireless Router: ???
Channel Broadcasting: ???

MAC address: ???
IP address: ???
Gateway: ???
DNS server: ???
Unique ID/ ESN number: [redacted]

Screen where to find this info: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/namo/namo_fileview.jsp?type=nfs&pid=decisiontree&did=341967&cid=SYJ9FU0HX6XS@namo.co.kr&sep=|

HD Tech

Collapse -
by Mallen22842 / February 15, 2013 5:26 AM PST

Product model code: UN46D6000
Firmware version: T-GASAKUC-1033.4
Smart Hub version: 3.679-6.0.00061
Netflix App version: (will have to get this to you later, i'm not at home)
Hulu App version: (will have to get this to you later, i'm not at home)

Connection Speed to ISP: 10 Mbps
Network environment: Wireless (Home)
Router model: Netopia 2247-02

For Wireless
Distance to Wireless Router: less than 30 ft (3 to full bars of signal strength all the time)
Channel Broadcasting: 4 (none of my neighbors are near that channel, closest is 6 I think)

MAC address: **omitted for security purposes**
IP address: **omitted for security purposes**
Gateway: 204.111.105.1
DNS server: 204.111.1.35 / 204.111.1.36
Unique ID/ ESN number: **omitted for security purposes**

Collapse -
by Mallen22842 / February 24, 2013 10:04 PM PST

I still owe you the versions for the Netflix and Hulu apps (I'll try and remember to snag this tonight). In the interim I can assure you this is not a problem with DNS, DMZ, or the time setting on the TV. I have tested each and each change does not help.

I still feel this is an issue with the applications themselves. As I stated before, I work for the ISP so I can assure you this isn't a connection issue.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 12:27 AM PST

Hi Mallen,

You realize that redacting your IP address for your TV is unnecessary since it's your local IP, but that piece of info shouldn't matter because we're not getting an IP conflict or incorrect subnet errors.

The distance, however, may be the issue. You have a connection speed to your ISP (10 Mbps) that is just good enough to handle high definition, but the symptoms seem to match with a signal degradation. So I'd try the following:

- change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8
- try change the broadcasting channel to 11-13
- decrease the distance to the wireless router, if possible
- provide a clear line of sight, if possible

HD Tech

Collapse -
Question
by Mallen22842 / March 1, 2013 2:10 AM PST

If that is the case why is my laptop (sitting next to the TV and connected to the TV via HDMI) able to stream Hulu and Netflix without any interruption?

I'll give the suggestions you wrote a shot though. I've already tested changing the DNS and switching to different broadcasting channels (it is currently on 11). I only have a handful of neighbors using wireless though and their routers are weak (1 maybe 2 bars). So I feel I can rule out both DNS related and wireless channels at this point.

I am hesitant to believe this is a signal degradation issue when my laptop and other wireless devices throughout the entire house are getting no less than 3 or max bars. Regardless where I am at. The TV is not an unrealistic distance from the wireless nor are there any major electrical items between them.

I am a software engineer by trade and before that I did tier 1 and tier 2 technical support for an ISP. My gut instinct is telling me that it is the application having issues. I've heard other people with the same TV complain about this very same issue as well. And, it used to not be a problem with earlier versions of those two applications. In other words my network hasn't changed but the software did. Another indicator to me this is application specific.

When is the last time those two apps had new releases of software come out for the TV? Just curious.

Collapse -
One reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Question

The WiFi in devices appears to be roughly half as sensitive as many laptops. In short I move the router to about 20 feet away when I test these things.

About HULU. I've yet to find HULU on these things. HuluPlus is there but differs.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2013 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Question

Hi Mallen,

As to why your laptop would get a signal just fine, but get a worse signal from the TV, it's because your laptop probably has an antenna optimized for being a mobile device. For the TV, it has a maximum range of 50 feet, but we recommend that the range be 25 feet or less with a clear line of sight to get the best signal without bandwidth loss.

From your previous post, issue (1) and (3) are likely related to the network. Issue (2) maybe some other account issue, but I figured I'd try it to solve the network issue first. However, it's possible it could be related. If you want to try something to fix that, do the Smart Hub reset: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=382162&modelname=UN46D6000SF&modelcode=UN46D6000SFXZA

I realize you already did a factory reset, but on 2011 and 2012 TV's, resetting to factory defaults doesn't touch Smart Hub.

As far as when these things get updated, Netflix and Hulu each update their respective apps, but we often push them out with firmware updates for various reasons. I see for the most recent update on Oct 7, 2012

HD Tech

Collapse -
Hulu plus time/date problem
by Graydawg / March 18, 2014 1:43 PM PDT

Setting the DNS address to 8.8.8.8 solved my problems on two smarthub problems.
1) the hulu+ time/date error
2) after resetting TV, not being able to reset SmartHub. ie, getting the internet connection error.

Collapse -
RE: Try removing them then adding them. - New!
by Mallen22842 / February 12, 2013 10:51 AM PST

Also I already stated the following:

"I can't uninstall certain apps from the television."

Therefore the suggestion to remove and re-add isn't applicable here.

Collapse -
Yes, that's true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 12:18 PM PST

This is not under our control today. It's under the maker's control and it was not funny when ROKU and Tivo did something similar. If you want control, it's not on a Smart TV.
Bob

Collapse -
About the "cannot play movie at this time."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 4:03 AM PST

A recent discussion seems to have cured some of that by setting the time/date in the TV. Here's the discussion for your reading enjoyment (smile).

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-584096/another-smarttv-that-has-poor-netflix-performance/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Be sure to check that setting and try the other usual items. One I change a lot is the DNS entry. That's over in the noted sticky post but in short we try the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This is a lot of posts but now that we have an error we've seen before, I can share some ideas that sometimes helps.

In recap.

1. Date/Time.
2. DNS.
3. Put the TV into the DMZ entry of the router.
Bob

Collapse -
My problems with my smart TV
by Lindyisabel / February 23, 2013 10:58 PM PST

Terrible time with my SmartTV . Suddenly I cannot access Smart Hub options at all. It says"connecting"
Then for every app, the msg is " Network is not connected.Check Network settings to check Internet connections. Error_Model_Bind " . Have had several calls with Samsung Support. First was told server was down after 2 calls. Next day told to download to flash drive latest version and install. Several tries and msg No new updates. Several calls later, they are sending me a loaded flash drive. Can't access Internet so I don't understand how to access google DNS. Purchased Nov, 2012 from Future Shop. Only 30 day warranty. Any suggestions?Model UN46EH5300.

Collapse -
Mallen22842
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 12:25 AM PST

This discussion is Mallen22842's and your post appears to be about what happens when the Samsung servers go down.

Bob

Collapse -
Lost smart hub
by Lindyisabel / February 24, 2013 1:35 AM PST

My problems with my smart TV - New!
by Lindyisabel - 2/24/13 6:58 AM
In Reply to: About the "cannot play movie at this time." by R. Proffitt

Terrible time with my SmartTV . Suddenly I cannot access Smart Hub options at all. It says"connecting"
Then for every app, the msg is " Network is not connected.Check Network settings to check Internet connections. Error_Model_Bind " . Have had several calls with Samsung Support. First was told server was down after 2 calls. Next day told to download to flash drive latest version and install. Several tries and msg No new updates. Several calls later, they are sending me a loaded flash drive. Can't access Internet so I don't understand how to access google DNS. Purchased Nov, 2012 from Future Shop. Only 30 day warranty. Any suggestions?Model UN46EH5300.

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Lost smart hub

This can happen when there are issues on Samsung's side.

Collapse -
Smart tv
by Lindyisabel / February 24, 2013 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Again.

Do you mean Samsung TV unit problem, or server problem ? Solveable?

Collapse -
You ask them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Smart tv

Every time this happens folk ask questions like yours. This is the Samsung forum so I won't write exactly what I think about their design. But I hope you can read between the lines and ask them to fix this. Not long ago it was not working for a week.

If it's the same as last time, it's not you, it's not your TV and you can't solve it.
Bob

Collapse -
late solution
by dinosaursbro / March 4, 2015 1:28 PM PST

Hopefully you figured it your problem, I came across your post in attempt to figure out the same issue. I worked it out on my own. To update the "unupdateable", go to menu, support and system update. It'll update your entire tv, thus releasing the newest version of Netflix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.