Samsung forum

Samsung Smart Hub Not Connecting

by gmmolina / December 16, 2012 9:24 AM PST

I just purchased a UN32ES6500 television and BD-E5900 dvd player. Both have Smart Hub. I have tried connecting both to my wireless network. When connecting, both television and dvd player state that it has connected successfully to the network and internet. However, no applications work. When I try to access an app, I get an error after 30 seconds stating that it cannot access the network and: ERROR_MODEL_BIND. Samsung technical support has not been any help.

What I have tried to do...
1.) I have connected the television directly (hardwired) to my DSL modem (bypass router) and I get the same error. I connect my laptop the same way and I get internet access.
2.) I have connected the television to my iPad via Verizon cellular 3G (bypass my internet service provider Windstream) and I am able to connect Smart Hub.

Evidently there is an issue with connecting through my ISP. I called them and they are no help.

1.) I reset my modem to factory and still nothing.
2.) I made sure no firewalls are on.
3.) I have reset the DNS to defaults and tried OpenDNS and still nothing.

I need some more ideas or help please. Thanks so much!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart Hub Not Connecting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart Hub Not Connecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Call it in. They may be updating it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Samsung Smart Hub Not Connecting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2012 6:02 AM PST

Hi gmmolina,

I knew there was an update this past week. Are you still having issues?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by gmmolina / December 17, 2012 9:41 AM PST

HD Tech: I have the latest firmware 1025.0 and am still having problems. I spoke to Samsung technical support again to update them on the latest info. They advised me that someone would call me within 2-3 days to discuss with me. He indicated that ERROR_MODEL_BIND points to applications that are not loading properly.

I will update everyone when I hear back. Thanks again!

Gabriel Molina

Collapse -
Re: Reply
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 18, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
by gmmolina / December 18, 2012 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Reply

HD Tech, I have tried the reset and I still am not able to connect. Thanks for the response. I am still waiting to hear back from tech support via phone.

Gabriel Molina

Collapse -
New Info
by gmmolina / December 18, 2012 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

I have confirmed that the television works through other service providers (ISP). The issue is either my DSL modem or ISP service. I will be picking up a new DSL modem tomorrow to see if that corrects the problem....

I will update this post tomorrow. Thanks again.

Gabriel Molina

Collapse -
Samsung Wireless Issue
by jpurcell969 / January 11, 2013 10:11 AM PST

After doing a wireless packet capture on the TV with a Linux Backtrack OS, i have found that packets that egress the TV appear to be fragmented and lost. every other TCP/IP packet that comes from the TV seems to be missing a SYN/ACT tag. This is a big issue with the wireless card in the TV.

After buying this TV for my wife for X-Mas, i have not had alot of luck using the TV with my Wireless AP in a 802.11N network with AES encryption. I also tried a 802.11bg AP and still no luck. I have had better luck with the Samsung Blue-ray wireless function. To make sure it was not my wireless network, i took both wireless routers and put them exactly 6 feet from TV and the TV was still dropping packets. To make sure it was not my network, i ran a cat6 cable into the back of the TV and the TV worked great across the network.

With a 1500mtu size on both wireless and lan cable, a constant ping with the wireless show inconsistency's anywhere of 80 ms's to 890 ms's latency. Example, if you ping from you network, you usually see about 101 to 130 ms latency on average from any american home with ISP > Router/firewall > wireless/LAN > Computer.

The wireless card on my TV is a lemon and the issue lies in either the wireless card itself, firmware, or the programming in the TV. Understand that most of the so called techs at Samsung do not have a degree, or firm understanding of the technology because they are... Help desk. What ever information they get from their knowledge base articles (KB's) is all that they know. Granted, i'm sure some of the employees have a very good understanding of their technology on the help desk, but take everything with a grain of salt.

-If it worked once and now its not working and you did no change to the network or devices, then its either a problem with the device, or their network that you connect into.
-If the device has never worked since you plugged it in, it may because the device is broken, or you have configured something wrong
-If the device was working and you changed something, it more then likely is a user configuration issue.

Hope this help!

Collapse -
Just for giggles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Wireless Issue

I think I've seen that too. But no backtrace app. Instead I set the router to 802.11g mode only. And it began to work. Tried the router's 300 Mb mode and weird issues. Back to 150 mode on the router and it's working.

Are you saying that router compatibility is Samsung's issue when I'm not using a Samsung router?

Collapse -
TV issue
by jpurcell969 / January 15, 2013 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Just for giggles.

This is about the wireless card in the Samsung smart tv's, nothing to do with a Samsung router.. I am not sure if they make routers, I will check. Maybe i did not understand you as well.

Collapse -
Then make it your case for return and refund.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: TV issue

No need for you to do any further work. I hear what you are writing loud and clear as in the 90's I was writing router code. But this is a consumer device, and unlikely to be fixed.

I shared what I found with the routers and I'm encountering consumers that believe the HDTV makers must fix their routers and networks. It's interesting to watch and I wonder how it will play out in the end.

Collapse -
by jpurcell969 / January 15, 2013 3:57 AM PST

It is very possible that i could be missing something. If some one els would liek to do a wireless packet capture and see if packets are dropping when egressing the TV, please share it. Other then that, i hope Samsung views these threads and start looking at themselves to see what they can fix. Technology is never perfect when it first comes out, that is why there are always updates on Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS, Microsoft updates, linux updates... the list goes on. Hopefully it is not a hardware issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.