Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Smart Hub doesnt work on my new Blueray player

by slimdaddy76 / January 5, 2013 3:19 PM PST

I have a Samsung model BD-E5700 and when I open up the Smart Hub feature I have a mostly empty screen. The apps icon and all others are unresponsive, except for the smart tv wallpaper. After reading the Smart Hub .pdf file It states the first time the Smat Hub feature is activated you are prompted by the user agreement, that didn't occur for me and I think that is my problem. I have reset the Smart Hub feature and the entire BD player and stil no prompt to agree to user agreement. I am also positive I have a strong network/internet connection. Any help will be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart Hub doesnt work on my new Blueray player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart Hub doesnt work on my new Blueray player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have the same problem with the same Blu-Ray player
by bobob160 / January 5, 2013 9:57 PM PST

I contaced Samsung Tech support and they said it was a problem on their end with the Samsung Smart Hub Apps. They gave me a case number and took my e-mail address to send me updates.

I have not heard back from them and if the problem still exists today, I am going to contact them again.

Collapse -
SMART HUB Blu Ray issues
by KJPHIL / January 6, 2013 8:42 PM PST

I am in the UK and also have same issue. Done the resets and even threats with hammer. However joke aside its really very annoying. Mine is a BD-D5300. At first it downloaded 13 apps automatically. BBC IPLAYER Facebook to name a few. But when I tried to search the screen made no response even though I can navigate around the interface. Its a nice Blu ray , plays the films well and great quality but I really bought if teh SMART Hub feature so I can enjoy all content movies etc from one central hub instead of having all sorts plugged in. I tried their help line and they say " we have problems"... Hurry up Samsung!!!

Collapse -
same here !
by GreenBrown2012 / January 7, 2013 2:36 AM PST

i got a new blue ray player, no smart hub.

Ive see this issue posted in other places so, it must be a server issue @ samsung, maybe they are all in Vegas !

Collapse -
please let me kn ow when they fix it
by GreenBrown2012 / January 7, 2013 3:51 AM PST

I have the same issue, but im state side !

Collapse -
Adios
by simpco / January 9, 2013 1:21 PM PST

After a week of frustration the Samsung NOC was repaired and came up and I looked all around the SmartHub. In the end, I found the interface kludgy, lethargic, and less open (net searches) than advertised. My Samsung Blu-Ray was likely a very nice blu-ray player, but my focus was on the "Smart" side of things. Adios SmartHub.

Collapse -
Answer
Same Issue
by kaufmannjs / January 6, 2013 12:23 AM PST

I have the same issue, I have talked with multiple customer service reps. They have all been very nice and easily reachable, but frustrating when you spend this kind of money on a product and can't really enjoy it. I hope they have it fixed soon or I will be returning it.

Collapse -
Same Issue with new blueray player. Very frustrating
by gonzohunter / January 6, 2013 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Same Issue

I have the same issue. Nothing happening and I know that I have a good solid network connection. The Samsung Apps just aren't available. The interface was very difficult to work through either. Not a happy customer experience thus far.

Collapse -
Same issue
by Keitht74 / January 6, 2013 2:25 AM PST

I just bought a blu-ray player and hooked it up. Tried both a wired and wireless connection. No luck. I never receive the terms and conditions screen. No apps installed. Nothing responds. I changed the hub region like one of the techs told me to do. I made sure it was on USA. Nothing. I tried Canada and it gave me the terms and conditions and downloaded the apps for Canada. I changed back to USA and it did give me the USA apps surprisingly but they weren't there later on when I left the hub to watch a DVD and came back. That was yesterday. Today nothing works. Not even Canada.

Collapse -
Region change
by slimdaddy76 / January 6, 2013 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

Where did you find the change region option. I looked and could not find. I thought that might be an option.

Collapse -
EEEKKKK
by AngieUKMK / January 6, 2013 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Region change

Yep, my dad just phoned me and theres isnt working - so I switched on my SMART HUB (On the TV not a blue ray) and YEP.... Mine isn't working either... so SAMSUNG there is a problem!!!!

Collapse -
Region change
by Keitht74 / January 6, 2013 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: Region change

Goto smart hub screen and on the remote press the fast forward key then the numbers 829 then the rewind key. A list of countries will come up to choose from.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by badtuna / January 6, 2013 3:42 AM PST

Yep same issue here. I just bought my BD-E5700 from Fry's. Contacted Samsung twice today. Their server is still being worked on after two days. Wow! Can't imagine why it's taking that long to fix. I'm planning to return this product tomorrow if their smart hub server is still down. I have a Sony blu ray on my other TV and it works well with the internet. I should have bought another Sony at less the cost than this Samsung.

Collapse -
Answer
SmartHub Inoperable
by RogerSiegris / January 6, 2013 5:51 AM PST

For the last time, I have encountered problems with sudden network issues, updates, resets, and the Samsung SmartHub. I am an electronics retailer, and my faithful dedication to Samsung Bluray means that today my phone is wringing off the hook as every Samsung client encounters these consisten issues.

There is no fix for this until Samsung addresses the issue.

If you have recently purchased a Samsung BluRay, see if you are able to return it quickly. I will research and post a viable alternative...

Collapse -
Answer
same here
by towndrunk99 / January 6, 2013 11:26 AM PST

i purchased a BD-5700 for my wife for Xmas. Last night i hooked it up. I spent three hours trying to figure out why i could not access the apps from the smart hub screen. This includes a wasted 1/2 hour with a live chat representative. Today i called Samsung support and was told the "network" was down for "maintenance" and I was asked to check again in "24 hours." If this is the case, I have hard time understanding why the smart hub screen did not state this or why the live chat guy couldn't just tell me this when i first contacted Samsung. occasional, brief temporary outages i can accept. but the fact that the smart hub was not working when i first hook up and is not expected to work for at least one more day hardly inspires confidence of its ability to work long term. the reason i bought this particular model was for the supposed streaming capabilities.

Collapse -
re same here
by slimdaddy76 / January 6, 2013 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: same here

My thoughts exactly. And also when I read other places about this problem dated in May 2011 and October of same year as well. So does it happen often or has it ever worked properly.

Collapse -
Glad to know it's not just me
by mwoelfle / January 6, 2013 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: same here

I too just received a BD-E57 on Saturday and have the same issues with Smart Hub. Can access the screen but there is no responsiveness to any of the icons: apps, search, etc. I did a full reset of the Blu-ray player, and a reset of Smart Hub to no avail. I have no issue with connectivity. The Smart Hub reset was done yesterday while online with support. At that point he had to go on break and I opened another chat with a different tech. He told me that it was an issue with Smart Hub that they're working on right now. I wondered why the first guy wasn't aware of this? Anyways, it's almost a relief to know that I don't have a faulty unit. It would be nice if Samsung would have a way to alert users of the fact that Smart Hub is not available. Something like "Smart Hub is currently undergoing....Sorry" when you try to open it.

Collapse -
same here too
by chrisbully / January 7, 2013 7:23 AM PST

hi there i have spent all of saturday connecting the BD-E5500/XU 3d blu-ray player
which i bought 30/12/2012 to new samsung led 3d tv model
UE32EH6030K full hd and having trouble connecting to smart hub...signed
with samsung and registered as manual asks but screen stays the
same.The one thing i need i think is the agreement i
havent found yet and its grey unable to activate..also the management
setting is same..unable to activate..i have restarted twice and gone
through the whole process but still no smart hub to use please help its
doing my head in....
i am connected as all IP,GATEWAY ECT NUMBERS show its connected online
.i even did manually but still couldnt get smart hub
working...this player is playing dvds ok so the problem is smart hub NO
Active features

Collapse -
still same problem..
by chrisbully / January 7, 2013 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: same here too

hi i have tried all night to connect with smart hub to this product
without any success...i have tried to contact service support team on
phone but again no success as your system is having technical
problems...i wonder if this is due to the number of unsatified customers
needy of your help with same issues..i googled and found there is a
number of people complaining the smart hub is down...so what are you
doing to resolve the problems.?..im very disappointed a leading brand is
treating customers in this rejected way...i have also checked my s/n
to products and found there is a letter missing at end and added
it...although from the label on products boxes there is no letter on
end of s/n..only found it on the products itself...strange, is this
another fault samsung? i will try calling you again tomorrow
if not i would like a full refund for all products and take my
business to a proper leading brand sony...a very unhappy chris

Collapse -
its working
by chrisbully / January 8, 2013 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: still same problem..

shock horror the smart hub is working all running and going well..long may it continue.. much happier chris

Collapse -
Answer
Jan 7 4PM PST - Smart Hub has been down + 7 days
by simpco / January 7, 2013 8:18 AM PST

I spoke to tech support for the 4th time since my BlueRay purchase of last Friday. Finally, I asked "How long has it been down?" They said over a week and they do not know when it will come back up. I guess my purchase timing was bad. If this is an ongoing problem, please advise, because I will return my player and get a different brand with a different interface. I bought this product primarily for this browser interface.

If Samsung really valued their customers, they would post a banner on there website stating they recognize the problem. This way we could all stop wasting our time calling and posting. Tech support is exhausted and frustrated too answering the same question with "We don't know."

Good luck to you all!

It's not you. It is Samsung!

Collapse -
I am returning my Samsung BD E5700 tomorrow
by badtuna / January 7, 2013 12:36 PM PST

This evening I was very surprised it worked. It started to update the software in the device. In a couple of minutes I was up and running. I watched Captain America on Netflix, which went perfectly well without a hitch. However after it ended I decided to turn the device off and back on to watch another movie. SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! I will be returning this Samsung product back tomorrow to get me a Sony brand or a brand that does not require its own proprietary software or server site to get access to the internet. I guess Samsung likes to continue to mimic Apple's way of doing business.

Collapse -
Answer
Some improvement
by slimdaddy76 / January 7, 2013 4:43 PM PST

I have actually been able to agree to the user agreement and am mid way through service update. If I am able to stream anything afterwards and then repeatedly after that without any interruption color me happy.

Collapse -
Any results?
by KJPHIL / January 7, 2013 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Some improvement

Hi there

have you had any decent success??

Kel

Collapse -
decent is subjective term
by slimdaddy76 / January 8, 2013 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Any results?

Well after downloading content I was hopeful but the speed was extremely slow. Long delays loading app and browsing through app store. Also due to slow speeds had no success streaming on Netflix or vudu. Will try further today.

Collapse -
workin in Philly
by phillyknockout / January 8, 2013 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Any results?

My Samsung ht E6730 is finally working. I'm watching Netflix with no problems at all. I will try Hulu + in a few. Right now I'm happy and the picture and sound is awesome. IBut I did reset Smart Hub though

Collapse -
Got it
by Keitht74 / January 8, 2013 7:53 AM PST

Mine is working here in CT. A little slow but I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be since I just bought it.

Collapse -
How long
by simpco / January 8, 2013 8:52 AM PST

How long for the "update" after the service agreement? How did you know your were "half-way?" Mine (after service agreement) has been "updating" for 45 minutes [rectangle grey placard that I fear is burning my plasma screen]. What is your connection speed? Mine is 1MB down.
Thanks.

Collapse -
re some improvement
by slimdaddy76 / January 8, 2013 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: How long

By halfway it had 6 of 12 apps downloaded

Collapse -
MINE and parents SMART HUB are all ok now
by AngieUKMK / January 9, 2013 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: re some improvement

Mam got an email response off SAMSUNG but by time they responded, (within 24 hours) the SMART hub was coming back to life...

Phew!

All is back and my life is complete again hahah!

Collapse -
Things work now, but no service for 3 days
by GreenBrown2012 / January 11, 2013 2:05 AM PST

i think we need to figure out how many folks were affected and demand a compensation !

at least a website to check smarthubs status as this seems to be an ongoing problem!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.