Samsung

Question

Samsung Smart 3D TV drops internet

by SailorLuna / April 20, 2013 4:43 PM PDT

I recently purchased a Samsung Smart 3D TV and had it installed earlier this week. In addition, I bought a samsung 3D Bluray player, and a Samsung Soundbar. Below are the model numbers for the TV and Bluray:
Smart 3D TV: UN50F6400AFXZA
3D Bluray: BD-F5900

Everything is working fine accept for the internet. I have a pretty strong internet connection and a brand new router from Xfinity.
Here's the situation: For example when I log onto Netflix through my smart tv, everything loads fast. Then I select a title to watch and I hit play, everything loads. Then sometimes even only 30 seconds in, the screen will stop to load. Then it always freezes at a certain buffering point and it'll stick there forever. So I hit the back button and try to click the title again, nothing loads. So I exit and go back to the smart hub and try to re-click the app, and then what pops up is this message:
"You're not connected to the network. Go to Network Settings and connect to the Internet to enjoy Smart Hub".
Well so I go to my settings and then this message appears:
"Wireless network connection failed. Cannot connect to the Network. Try the following: -Check security key on Wireless Router, and check if IP is set correctly in 'IP Settings', -Contact your internet sercive provider for more information."
Eventually it'll hook back onto the wifi but then the same things will happen over and over again, and it's not just on netflix, it's on everything in the smart hub. I then go to try the wifi on the bluray player and the same thing happens with the same message.
So I did double check my IP settings, and they were just fine. I bought an Ethernet Adapter kit by Netgear (powerline 100) thinking there would be a more direct signal to the tv, but there was no change at all. So then I called Comcast. Someone came out to the house and said "oh it's just that your router isn't that close to the tv so we'll move it". He also checked to see if the router was on a timer, which it wasn't.
He told me to return the ethernet adapter kit since it was no longer needed. We moved the router and no change at all, this wan't truly observed until he left. The same thing still continues to happen. The tv will hook onto the internet but then it drops and it's very difficult to get back online. Everything else in the house is completly fine wifi wise.
Another weird thing to mention is that sometimes when the internet goes out on the tv, it affects the whole house. It only ever happens when the tv is trying to access the internet.
I have a Smart Bluray player on one of my other tvs and it's never had a problem connecting to the internet. It still works just fine after this other tv has been installed.
I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my tv and bluray player that it won't stay on the internet. The weird thing is that both gadgets are dropping the internet and they weren't purchased together. Is there anything I should know about getting the internet to connect? Is there a known glitch? Do I need to worry about returning this newly installed home theater?
If there is any additional information I should include, please let me know.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Smart 3D TV drops internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Smart 3D TV drops internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Smart 3D TV drops internet
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 22, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

Hi SailorLuna,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'll try to help as I can. If you could provide us with the firmware version for both devices, that would be helpful. However, I will caution that this particular line was indicative: "It's not just on netflix, it's on everything in the smart hub. I then go to try the wifi on the bluray player and the same thing happens with the same message."

Two devices both behaving the same way generally indicates a problem with the wireless connection of some kind. Normally, I don't like people without something to check: so I'll recommend the standard stuff: reduce distance between wireless router, remove encryption temporarily to check for any problem there, and provide the network connection information so we can check that.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Information
by SailorLuna / April 23, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

Both my tv and bluray are running on the software version: 1013

What kind of network connection information do you need?

Collapse -
Re: Information
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 24, 2013 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Information
Collapse -
Information
by SailorLuna / April 24, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Information
Collapse -
Re: Information
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 24, 2013 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Information

Hi SailorLuna,

What that means for you is that the TV is attempting to ping the router, but the router isn't responding. I don't know how technical you are, so an analogy would be if you're trying to get the attention of someone across a crowded, noisy room by waving your arms wildly, but the person doesn't even make eye contact with you. So you're stuck over there flailing your arms for eternity until something changes.

So the net effect is that we need to figure out some way of cutting through that noise so that the router notices the TV, but before I do that, I want to make sure of something else: could you give me the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information from that screen?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Tv info
by SailorLuna / April 25, 2013 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Information

ip: 10.0.0.12
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 10.0.0.1

Thank you for helping me. I hope to get his issue resolved.

Collapse -
Re: TV Info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 26, 2013 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Tv info

Hi SailorLuna,

That info looks fine by mean. So let's approach this problem as a network interference problem instead. So let me ask you: about how far away are these TVs from the wireless access point? About how many devices are trying to connect?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Nothing is working
by SailorLuna / May 1, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: TV Info

I don't know what to say at this point. I've had my internet provider come out to move the router closer to our electronics away from obstructions; still no connection with any of my samsung devices. I have two smart bluray players, and one smart tv, and non of them can connect to our home wifi, and they should! Given that I spend extra for the wifi feature.
When an xbox or a playstation is connected to a tv in those same spots, there's no problem with the wifi.I've moved the blurays to different tvs in the house, still no connection. But when I move an xbox, it never fails to connect.
So I would say there's no interference, because no other device is having issues. The router is away from metal objects, it's elevated and away from corners.

Collapse -
Wireless trouble shooting
by rednroll / May 1, 2013 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing is working

For trouble shooting purposes. I don't know exactly how far your TV is from your router, but if at all possible I would look into purchasing a long ethernet cable and connect the TV directly to your router via ethernet wired connection. That would tell you if this is strictly a wireless problem or a network problem.

I have also read where some people have run into intermittent Wifi adapter problems with some Samsung TVs, where they described by pushing on the back of the TV it seems to push the adapter back into place and the Wifi adapter within the TV starts functioning again for a short period of time. I don't know if your TV has this problem or not. Just an FYI, saw this a few times when reading reviews at costco.com.

Personally, I have always felt wireless and streaming video are just asking for headaches. Yes, it's convenient to not have to run wires, but there's so many things that can interfere with that wireless signal that this all becomes a headache, which it seems like one of the headaches you are currently experiencing.

Collapse -
Nod. Cable run wins every time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

While I eventually get WiFi systems to work, it's a mystery to me why after a decade of WiFi what's going on in that industry. I can cite some recent blowups such as the Vista Broadcast Flag AKA "Vista beam of death" that caused some routers to reboot as a Vista machine came into range to the recent "My iPad won't connect to my router" and then all the smart tv/appliance connection issues.

Good advice here. Get a long cable for the test.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 2:44 AM PDT

Albeit with other make and model things but it was another router issue. It really screamed something was wrong with the device that would drop out but after a month more messages began to pop out on discussion boards.

Finally the router maker issued new firmware and it's working. In the meantime I had to go back a version of firmware on the router.

You have a good question. I don't have a great solution. That is, I've been here many times as I help neighbors and kibitz on the CNET forums (see my Samsing owners start here post in the CNET Networking Forum) but for now, I can write that just because the Samsung drops out does not mean it's the Samsung at fault.

-> There's also a matter of distance. The TVs and such are about half as good on distance as your common laptop. It's not funny but I have to get the WiFi router or source at 20 feet before I try it farther away.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Possible solution?
by pacmamil / June 8, 2014 9:39 PM PDT

I had a similar problem with my Samsung TV, just been getting worse and worse recently. I upgraded the TV software (difficult with a Mac...) using a USB key, but still no better, in fact maybe worse. So I investigated the wireless modem/router (from BT) to see what could be done there. I finally realised my wireless router actually contains TWO wireless networks: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I had connected the TV to the 2.4Ghz one. I have now renamed the 2.4Ghz connection to have an S at the end, and put the original settings onto the 5Ghz connection and the TV now appears to be working fine connected to this 5Ghz network. Other household devices (that can see the 5Ghz network, only newer devices can) also working better. 5Ghz is supposed to have shorter range but less interference than 2.4 Ghz.

Hopefully that will be the end of the Samsung wireless problems for me!

Collapse -
same problem
by heliaadirfi / June 12, 2014 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution?

I have the same problem with my samsung smart tv I've purchased last weekend. I have BT Infinity but connection is breaking up. How do you find out change the wireless network the tv is connected to?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.