Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Series 7 Chronos Laptop

by buzzjet / September 20, 2011 8:02 AM PDT

Can anyone tell me when the Samsung Series 7 Laptops will be available? Samsung announced this product three weeks ago and it is on their website but retailers don't seem to know much about it or when they will actually get the product. I look for information on these every few days but get frustrated by the results that come back in google, etc.

Thanks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 7 Chronos Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 7 Chronos Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

I have what may have been a predecessor model (a RC512) so the fast wake from ZERO POWER SLEEP in 3 seconds is very nice.

Just so you know, these are called ULTRABOOKS (dubbed by Intel?)
Bob

Collapse -
Chronos Release
by buzzjet / September 20, 2011 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice.

Bob, thanks for the reply.

It seems that Samsung released the information on the series 7 and now the trail is ice cold. There has not been any new information out there on this laptop since the IFA show on Aug 31st. I have read some articles that indicate the release is Oct 2nd but can not seem to confirm that. My thought is this: If retailers were going to have these laptops available for sale on Oct 2nd, one of them should have some information on the unit by now. I have contacted several retailers that carry samsung laptops and all basically act like they don't even know what a samsung series 7 is. We are only 11 days from Oct 2nd now.

I need a new laptop really bad at this point. I like the looks of the new Sony SE and the Samsung Series 7. Once I read about these new models and realized they both fit my criteria, I decided to check them both out and choose between one of them. Unfortunately, I can not find any rock solid information on either unit. I simply want to know who is going to have them and when so I can go, see the units, make a decision and purchase one of them.

Collapse -
Chronos Release
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 21, 2011 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Chronos Release

buzzjet,

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Chronos Release

The new Ultrabooks (if you research that and Intel) you see it's the next thing. As I have the one that seems to be the step before the Ultrabook I thought I'd share that it's really a nice feature that has dogged folk for years.

What issue/feature? "How fast does it boot?"
Bob

Collapse -
Ultrabooks
by buzzjet / September 21, 2011 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

I did a little research on the ultrabooks. They look and sound great but I can not wait that long. I have two dell laptops that are both on their last legs. I need a replacement quick. I can not wait till Nov, Dec or Jan. Plus you know with the limited information out there, how long will it be before an ultrabook is available that fits my criteria? We just don't know what the manufacturers are going to release or when. I may kick myself later but I am getting on board with the Samsung series 7 or the new sony.

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Ultrabooks

I was in need of a replacement and could not wait. Then a miracle happened and I found the RC512 for an amazing price. I have 2 quibbles and it was mostly how the system arrives with 2 out of date drivers and how the tools don't get them for me. Fortunately I'm an bit (over)seasoned and knew what to do.

I can't tell if the current models are that far behind the ultras.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
wow
by Ballzitch / September 26, 2011 4:45 PM PDT

Call a best buy store like I did with a SKU number from their site, you will be surprised that they in fact do have a few already that are not out nor advertised yet. I have mine and they are awesome so to say the least, 956.00 tax included.

Collapse -
Best Buy
by buzzjet / September 27, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

I will contact best buy like you suggest. Which one did you get? Best buy is showing the NP700Z5B-W01UB on their website. This is not really the one that I want. I really want the Samsung NP700Z5A-S02US. I have seen this one on a few websites for pre-order but still no hard information on when you will actually be able to get this laptop.

Collapse -
difference
by Ballzitch / September 27, 2011 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Buy

Samsung - Series 7 Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 15.6" Display - Silver .....I did think that none of the series 7 were out yet, best buy may not even carry the one your mentioning, but for the most part what is the difference between the two?

Collapse -
Different Models
by buzzjet / September 27, 2011 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: difference

The model that I mentioned has the expresscache. It has additional flash memory on the motherboard and is supposed to make the machine much faster on start up as well as during multitasking. The one on best buy's website is the base model without this feature.

Collapse -
Good Chart showing each series 7 model
by buzzjet / September 27, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Different Models
Collapse -
30 day return policy
by Ballzitch / September 27, 2011 3:45 PM PDT

Saw that it is good comparison, and If Best Buy carries it will return and pay for upgraded model, and just as important as the upgraded cache routine to me would be something that I have found barely mentioned even in the manual, "lighted keys" that are controlled by the uppercase of the F9 & F10 keys, seems my model is the only one that doesnt have the LED style keyboard lights, sure would be nice to be able to type in dark if you ever needed too, would exchange just for that feature.

Collapse -
Release Date
by buzzjet / October 3, 2011 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: 30 day return policy

Wasn't Oct 2nd the day that Samsung gave the media at IFA for the release of the Series 7? Well today is Oct 3rd and retailers still don't have all of the models that are supposed to be out. I have heard best buy has one model that does not have express cache but I can not confirm that. Where are all the other ones samsung?

Collapse -
Release Date
by Ballzitch / October 3, 2011 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Release Date

The 2nd of October was the release date officially, but I actually spent some time with even the Corporate level of Samsung today and to no avail they all act the same regarding "who knows". As far as they were concerned I was not supposed to already have a series 7 from Best Buy but I do.

Collapse -
Release Date
by buzzjet / October 3, 2011 11:47 PM PDT

I am glad that Best Buy has a couple of models and that they are showing a couple on their website. I have been waiting patiently for just over a month now to simply get some confirmation on when these will be available. I agree with your assessment about getting one of the models with the express cache. I simply want samsung to come out and say.....these will be on the shelf ready for purchase on X date. That would be enough to make me wait. As it stands, the latitude I am typing on is being held together with duct tape and prayers. If the Sony SE model hits the market first, I am jumping on it. The series 7 Samsung is my first choice but I am tired of waiting.

Personally, I don't think Samsung should have announced the new models and then went silent. What good does it do to create a lot of buzz and interest if you have no intentions of bringing the product to market where the consumer can purchase it. I can only theorize that they are having some issues with the series 7 and they are hesitant to push them onto the market.

Collapse -
Saw the W01 model at Best Buy Today
by buzzjet / October 5, 2011 8:02 AM PDT

I checked the W01 model out very closely today at Best Buy. It is not the one I want but it was a very impressive machine. Still want the express cache of the S02.

The one I looked at was just about all you want. I was very, very impressed. Now if Samsung will ever release the other models......uggggh

Collapse -
Samsung Series 7 Chronos
by ekster1989 / October 11, 2011 3:12 AM PDT

Thank you for your response. I almost went and purchased with bestbuy but In lieu of your info, I stopped the transaction.
I agree you should wait and buy what you really want.
As far as release date...I have also checked Korean sites, since Samsung is a Korean company and it looks like even Koreans are waiting for the series to be released on the market.
It looks like bestbuy is the only place public consumers can get entry level as of today Oct. 11.

Collapse -
Release Date
by buzzjet / October 11, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

I think that is the correct move. As much as it is killing me, I am waiting too. Samsung should come out and tell the world exactly when these computers will be available. I don't care if they say Dec 1st is the date. At least the consumber would know. Having to search periodically for information or news on this computer is painful.

Collapse -
Answer
Mid-November?
by karikas2000 / October 11, 2011 11:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Series 7 Chronos
by AWhipple1111 / October 11, 2011 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Mid-November?

On 10/2 I purchased the Best Buy model. It was listed as 512 mb (instead of 1gb) for the Radeon but this was the only difference I could see. It was not clear whether it had Express Cache, I found out it DID have it when I got home. I found out about the F9 and F10 keys implying no lighted keyboard when looking at the docs later. The docs do NOT match the Best Buy unit. They knew they were selling me a 'lesser' model but didn't say anything till 'after' I had returned the product which I did the following day. The Best Buy model is also missing bluetooth. Less graphics memory, missing bluetooth and the no lighted keyboard are the reason they are selling it for $949. I order the Samsung unit with the advertised feature set from Tiger Direct for $1079. Which I am still waiting to get. 10/12 will be a week since ordered.
I did have one anomoly I am wondering about. The Best Buy model I took home would simply NOT run Aero on the machine. I spent an hour with Samsung tech support (who was also unaware there was a Best Buy model) with no luck getting Aero running. The floor model was running Aero so I have no idea what the problem was. I am hoping the flaw was in the 'image' loaded on the Best Buy unit as an OEM model.
There is a possibility that there is some kind of a problem with ALL models being hit or miss running Aero. This could account for no clear information being available about when the Series 7 will delivery if the problem I experienced is part of the issue. Although it would be hard to believe Samsung would miss something like this so deep into the release.
There are several Samsung models out there including the ultrabook mentioned already on the market with Express Cache. I believe however they are all 1366 x 768 models. I am holding out for the 1600 x 900 and I7 quadcore of the Series 7.
I will post again when the Tiger Direct order shows up.

Collapse -
series 7 - best buy
by braveulysses / October 17, 2011 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Series 7 Chronos

the best buy model is disappointing. I also ordered mine on tiger direct after i saw the best buy model in person. Tiger direct has said its on backorder but i think really it just hasn't been released yet. This laptop is awesome for the price that tiger direct is selling it for. I was also looking at the vaio SE and once i saw that in person i was turned off. the screen and lid were too flimsy for me. the series 7 will pave the way for PC companies to design their laptops to compete with apple. i haven't looked this up completely but i'm pretty sure the samsung series 7 is 500 or 600 cheaper than the mac with better specs and a better screen.

Collapse -
Another Month & still no Series 7's
by buzzjet / October 20, 2011 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: series 7 - best buy

Has anyone found out the scoop on the series 7 yet? It has been a month since my original post and we still can not purchase these computers. Retailers are in the dark. Samsung won't talk. Someone knows something and we, the consumers, would like to know when we will be able to buy the high end series 7 laptops here in the US.

Collapse -
Cancel
by Ballzitch / October 20, 2011 3:25 AM PDT

I believe that enough people that had pre orders would cancel then the suppliers would become frustrated enough themselves to either avoid pre orders from samsung, or provide real answers. I was told 10 days ago that Tiger Direct had 225 units targeted to be received from samsung (sure would seem higher numbers) and that they had taken 40 preorders.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Series 7 Availability
by Jester64093 / October 31, 2011 4:06 PM PDT

Here is what I wrote to Samsung via facebook:

Collapse -
Great Update
by buzzjet / November 1, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

I agree with you completely. The situation is ridiculous. Since my last post on Oct 20th, I have not thought any more about the laptop. I put them out of my mind. I check back 12 days later thinking there was a chance of good news and I find nothing. Just like you, we have many samsung products that we have been quite pleased with. However, the way samsung has treated the series 7 release is beyond my understanding. If you go to the consumer and say: here is a great new product for you; It meets needs x, y, and z; and will be available to you on Oct 2nd; then you have to produce. I imagine that most people that pre-ordered or were waiting on the late release have moved on now to other manufacturers. I have seriously considered other brands myself.

Today's consumers are smart, educated buyers. To treat the high end buyer like this is beyond belief. Samsung should come to the table with revised dates for us and then deliver. End of story.

Collapse -
Answer
What do all of you make of this ...
by NatchoTequila / November 1, 2011 12:55 PM PDT

I have been watching and waiting like all of you. Today I find a popular on-line retailer with this:
http://www.jr.com/samsung/pe/SAM_NP700Z5AS03/
It looks like the NP700Z5A-S01US model. Has the same specs. Same price. BUT a different model number. A model number I haven't seen until now. Someone please explain ...

Collapse -
Does not look like a Series 7 but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 1:18 PM PDT

I own the Samsung RC512 and you have got to get a demo of that hybrid sleep. Hello Ultrabook!
Bob

Collapse -
Ghosting
by Ballzitch / November 2, 2011 12:07 AM PDT

I call it ghosting, a web site is created that looks, sounds, and feels like many others, when someone finds the site and clicks it on, the creator of the site makes money for re-directing them to the real site. In other words they make a commission on the person that makes it to the original site. Many sites and adds look identical, except the name of the company looks different, i.e. tigerdirect, comp.usa etc. If you notice your site at jr.com sends you to amazon. Sometimes shell type sites are put together to create false competition, like one site carries the product for 50.00 less to make you think you got a good deal, when in fact both sites are owned by the same company.

Collapse -
I Preordered NP700Z5AS03 at jr.com
by Paragon388 / November 2, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

On 10/26 I preordered the fully-loaded 15.6 model ...with one exception; it comes with Win7 Pro instead oh Home Premium. I ordered by phone and they dropped the price vs. Samsung website by $100. They say they expect it by mid-November. I have my fingers crossed. With all the reviews, online videos, presence on the Samsung website, an October 2nd date that never happened and Christmas right around the corner, it would be a major faux pas if the product was not available soon. J&R is a largewell-known and reputable retailer in ManhatI played around with the lower-level unit at Best Buy. It looks and feels great. The touchpad didn't seem that great, but when I went into the settings, it wasn't set up to do much of anything. I changed the settings and it went from blah to amazing. 1,2 and 3 nscrolling, pinch and zoom, rotation, it was just like my iPhone and as intuitive. No more clunky Windows touchpads. The Series 7 is a good deal and worth waiting for ...but I hope for not much longer.

Collapse -
I Preordered NP700Z5AS03 at jr.com
by Paragon388 / November 2, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

On 10/26 I preordered the fully-loaded 15.6 model ...with one exception; it comes with Win7 Pro instead oh Home Premium. I ordered by phone and they dropped the price vs. Samsung website by $100. They say they expect it by mid-November. I have my fingers crossed. With all the reviews, online videos, presence on the Samsung website, an October 2nd date that never happened and Christmas right around the corner, it would be a major faux pas if the product was not available soon. J&R is a largewell-known and reputable retailer in ManhatI played around with the lower-level unit at Best Buy. It looks and feels great. The touchpad didn't seem that great, but when I went into the settings, it wasn't set up to do much of anything. I changed the settings and it went from blah to amazing. 1,2 and 3 nscrolling, pinch and zoom, rotation, it was just like my iPhone and as intuitive. No more clunky Windows touchpads. The Series 7 is a good deal and worth waiting for ...but I hope for not much longer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.