Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Series 530 LCD TV has green tint

by 1PatriotsFan / October 20, 2008 9:59 AM PDT

I just bought a 40" Samsung 530 Series 5 LCD TV recently and it seems to have a green tint to the picture, especially the grays and shadows.
I've tried to adjust the picture settings: color, tint, contrast, blackness, etc and nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 530 LCD TV has green tint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 530 LCD TV has green tint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Green Tint on All Inputs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 20, 2008 10:08 AM PDT

Do you have the same symptom regardless of input? (Component 1, HDMI 1, Component 2, HDMI 2, etc?)

Or is the green on all inputs?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Green on both inputs.
by 1PatriotsFan / October 21, 2008 8:58 AM PDT

I only have Component1 (DVR) and AV2 (DVD) hooked up, but yes, it's greenish on both.

Collapse -
How green is green?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 21, 2008 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Green on both inputs.

Sometimes people notice a very subtle "olive green" look to the television when it's off. But when the panel powers up, that does go away.

And you've adjusted the television yourself, so it's not like the kids were trying to watch episodes of a green Spongebob Squarepants.

Well, if it happens on both inputs, then it probably isn't the peripherals (DVR, DVD) or the cables. Let me check in first thing tomorrow to see what I can find about this particular malady now that we can deduct that it's not your video sources.

Let me ask you this in the meantime:

Has it always been there? Or is this kind of a new discovery?

I wonder if a simple calibration or reduction on your greens in the Detailed Settings menu wouldn't fix this issue, and that it could be possible that an adjustment would fix your picture. Now, if green is "taking over", then let me know that too, and that will help me with my limited, unseen diagnosis.

I can't see it, and the information provided is a little limited, so any additional information, descriptions, or symptoms would be helpful.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Slightly green picture continued
by 1PatriotsFan / October 22, 2008 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Green on both inputs.

The TV is brand-new (less than a week old.)
No one but me adjusts the set.

The green hues are very subtle.
Any grey areas (usually shadows or shady parts) of the picture have a slight green tinge to them.

The rest of the colors look fine.

The cables are all tight.

I've tried fooling around with the custom colors under "Detailed Settings" and also the color and tint options. Nothing seems to make any difference.

How do I calibrate this? Can I reset the entire TV to factory defaults and start over?

Collapse -
Might see about.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

Well, there's no factory default setting without entering a service menu, and unfortunatly, for obvious reasons, I can't do that, nor do I recommend it.

If it's that new, and it came out of the box like that, I might see about exchanging it for a new one. If the detailed settings and the regular menu settings didn't do the trick, it may be defective.

I would contact whoever you purchased it to see what you can do - or I can assist you in setting up a service technician.

Having green tints and bad shading is not an indication of a properly working panel.

Let me know what you think. I just want you to have the best experience and the least amount of trouble. I don't suggest this lightly, but from what information I've been able to gather, it just doesn't sound like it's working up to standards.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Green Tint Problem a little better
by 1PatriotsFan / October 23, 2008 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Might see about.....

Thanks for the advice and help.

I've made some adjustments that have improved the colors a bit.

First, I chose the "Dynamic" instead of "Standard" picture scheme.
(This turns off "Detailed Settings".)

I brought the backlight value down from 9 to 5.

Finally, I adjusted the tint bar a little more to the red.

The greens are still there in the greys a little, but I'm looking for them specifically and I don't think a casual observer would even notice now.

As a footnote, this is the second TV I tried in a week. The first one had problems with a distorted picture, red lines, scrambled signal, etc. I'm not looking forward to bringing this second one back to the store.

What's up with these models? Are these problems common?

Collapse -
Do I need a calibration?
by 1PatriotsFan / October 28, 2008 8:40 AM PDT

Still can't get rid of my green tint entirely.
I just came from the store where I bought this set.
The guy told me this is a common problem with Samsungs and recommended that I purchase a "Calibration" visit from a technician.

They want to charge me hundreds of dollars for this service!

I think this is outrageous!! Does Samsung stand behind their products or what? Can you arrange a technician visit from Samsung at no charge? I think this is the least you can do especially since I've already had to return one malfunctioning set to the store already.

Collapse -
If you can't fix it, a calibration won't either.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2008 9:52 AM PDT

Of course we can arrange a service technician to look at your unit.

This is not a "common problem with Samsungs", otherwise this forum would be full of green-tint issues.

I take exception to that proposed solution, however. The purpose of a calibration is to fine tune your settings to the custom environment it sits in. Or to fine-tune black and gray levels, and improve an already awesome picture - not to fix a faulty one.

Considering your point of view, I would agree that this is indeed outrageous. What they should have offered you was a service call. Or an exchange if it was recently purchased. Could you adjust it out with a calibration? Maybe for the time being, but then the issue isn't fixed, it's prolonged and you're out additional monies. Your salesperson probably figured you were talking about a very subtle green "push", but your description suggests more than a push and I'm going to assume you expressed that. More like a "shove", and that should have registered as a possible defect with a TV expert. That's not normal opertaion as noted in my previous post. A calibration on a TV that doesn't properly adjust out green is like giving a car a tune-up knowing the engine has broken components that need replacing.

Your first post was on the 20th, and you noted that you just purchased it. Most retailers have a 14 day return policy. What you might want to do is exchange it for a new LN40A530. That's my recommendation. If not, we can service it.

We do indeed stand behind our products. I'd rather you be a happy customer than keep a set that doesn't work. I'm very vocal about that here. I do apologize for your trouble, and I'm trying to help make it right.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service Tech Visit
by 1PatriotsFan / October 29, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

Let's arrange a Samsung Service Tech visit as soon as possible.

How do we set this up?

Collapse -
Not a problem.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 29, 2008 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Service Tech Visit

Okay, we can do that.

The number is 800-SAMSUNG, and you'll want to have your model number and serial number ready. You'll find those, if you're facing the screen, on the right hand side behind the panel. They'll arrange a service technician for you.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
greenish tint...
by abenja / December 23, 2008 7:16 AM PST

Well it was definitely a common problem with our samsung hdtv. after about a year the screen went dead and when we got it back from the shop there was no true black in the picture. all the dark parts were pixilized and greenish.

So after spending close to two months in the repair shop (we watched thanksgiving football on a 13 inch monitor and will not have a tv for christmas or new years) today circuit city finally agreed to give us a replacement set.

i definitely see a Sony in our future.

Collapse -
Sorry to hear...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 23, 2008 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: greenish tint...

abenja,

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with your set. I wish you had a better experience with us, and apologize for your experience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
My Samsung is doing the same thing.
by ChrisPSJ / October 25, 2009 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to hear...

I have had my TV 3 years. For weeks I have been having to turn on and off my TV to get the correct color to restore. But now it want change. It Stays Green and pink. I have paid almost $2000 for this TV and I am disapppionted that this is happening. What can you do to help me to correct this problem?

Collapse -
greenish tint
by dneidig / January 2, 2010 1:15 AM PST

we have this problem. The screen alternates from normal to the greenish static looking. What is this problem? It's making me lose faith in Samsung LCD tvs

Collapse -
My Samsung has a green screen too!
by Davedoggie / January 2, 2010 3:48 AM PST

My Samsung's screen has also gone green! It's only a year and a half old, but of course the warranty is only for one year. When I call their support area they act like they've never heard of the issue before! I'm stuck with a broken TV and no help from the company.

Collapse -
greenish tint
by dneidig / January 3, 2010 12:30 PM PST

Yes, our tv started doing this after it was about a year and half old. We have an extended warranty and I have finally convinced my husband to get Fry's (where we purchased) to do something. The green has nothing to do with adjusting the tint, color, cables , or anything like that.

Collapse -
greenish tint
by mrkenwood / January 22, 2010 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: greenish tint

Dear fellows,
could you please tell us all who have the same problem - how did it end, what Samsung warranty told?
Thanks
Kurmo

Collapse -
MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROB!
by ChrisPSJ / January 24, 2010 6:11 AM PST

WHAT DO WE DO........WE ARE STUCK WITH A PIECE OF CRAP!?!

Collapse -
imagine the possibilities of fixing the issues
by samsungproblems / November 7, 2010 6:42 AM PST

You say and I quote
"This is not a "common problem with Samsungs", otherwise this forum would be full of green-tint issues"

Well, it is full of green tint issues. And its not just on this site. Search for yourself.

I suggest that samsung and its staff take some responsibility on this issue, it is obviously a common fault and if you can not suggest a fix then a replacement or full refund should be made. Not by the retailer, by the manufacturer.

I am going to contact samsung personally on this matter, I am very disappointed and have been put off purchasing any samsung products and would deter anyone I know from doing the same.

Regards

Collapse -
another problem with my samsung
by samsungproblems / November 8, 2010 4:31 AM PST

ok so not the green screen issue
when i first got my tv just over a year ago it did this strange thing every now and then.
the tv would be off and it would randomly turn on. not the picture just the sound would come on.
this would last for about 10 seconds and then make that annoying beep blooop noise as it switches off.
the first few times it happened i thought i was losing the plot.
what i had to do is make sure the volume was muted before switching it off. not that this is a problem anymore because of the green screen its unwatchable and is not used.
just another example of why samsung are rubbish!
avoid at all costs.

Collapse -
Problem solved?
by mrkenwood / January 23, 2010 9:21 PM PST

Dear fellows,
could you please tell us all who have the same problem - how did it end, what Samsung warranty told?
Thanks
Kurmo

Collapse -
Hmmmm
by ChrisPSJ / January 24, 2010 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Problem solved?

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG TV! WE ARE GETTING NO SUPPORT FROM SAMSUNG TECH DEPT ARE WE? WHY? BECAUSE THEY CAN GIVE A RATS ***! VISIO IS MY NEXT TV! SUMSUNG SUCKS!

Collapse -
GREEN
by donewithsamsung / September 9, 2010 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm

I am in the same boat with a green screened Samsung LCD 40" tv that I paid 1900 dollars for two years ago that has done this to me twice!! I was able to get the first incident repaired under an "extended warranty" as it happened one month after the original warranty expired. Now a little over a year later the same problem has cropped up and a call to a local tv repair quoted me 1000 bucks to fix it!! I am done with Samsung and will keep this one till it dies and then consider a different brand for my next tv.

Collapse -
Red/Pink/Green
by TheSuaveDog / October 23, 2010 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: GREEN

I had this model Samsung and it did the same thing after only a year and a half, and I didn't even use the TV much. The picture had green hues and red/pink ghosting. Samsung was absolutely no help since I was 6 months past the 1 year warranty. I got lucky and had an extended warranty through the retailer and replaced it with an awesome Sony. Everyone I talked to told me the Samsung was known for going out soon after it's warranty expires. So just stay away from them. Samsung, even with it's great picture, is not worth buying until they start standing behind their shady products.

Collapse -
Samsung Series 530 LCD TV has green tint
by philtwd / March 17, 2011 2:18 AM PDT

So I have the same problem and I am reading through the internet and can not come up with a solution, did anyone find out what was replaced to correct this issue?

Collapse -
green tint
by jjb219 / December 11, 2012 1:47 AM PST

I had the same problem with my samsung tv. It was fine and then out of nowhere had a green tint. Menu>Picture>Picture Reset worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.