Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Series 4 & 6 - Power ON and OFF Noise

by techhelpneeded / October 8, 2008 11:04 PM PDT

I have a 32" Series 4 and a 46" Series 6. I love both tvs for picture quality and HD capabilities. Yet, I am disturbed by a feature both TVs have that I can't figure out how to disable.

When powering up and powering the TVs off, they make a weird noise. Does anyone out there know how to disable this feature. I can't find anything in the tv options or the manual. Am I stuck with annoying feature?

Thanks for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 4 & 6 - Power ON and OFF Noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 4 & 6 - Power ON and OFF Noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power Melody
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

The melody that plays as you turn the televisions on and off are a design feature. Some people like it, and some don't.

The good news, of course, is that you can turn it off if you prefer to do so. The instructions are available on Page 60 of the users manual (for the 650), but for your convenience, I'll list out the instructions here.

Using your remote,

MENU > SETUP > External Settings > Melody > toggle Off, Low, Med or High

Turning off the Melody will disable that noise when you turn your television on and off.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and we appreciate your support of Samsung products.

--HDTech

Collapse -
On off music
by CHUCKMALLEY / October 10, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

I think it's cool! The music plays as my Samsung light fades to black! The light bar can be disabled also in the menu.

Collapse -
Good point, Chuck!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 12, 2008 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: On off music

Both the sound and light effect can be toggled to user preferences.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by techhelpneeded / October 12, 2008 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Good point, Chuck!

Thank you very much for the help. I think the sounds are cool but realized when my husband was watching TV in bed while I fell asleep, the sound woke me up when he turns the TV off. After the third time, I knew I needed to find out how to turn it off.

Thanks everyone!!

Laura

Collapse -
Solution for 450 Series TV's - Power ON and OFF Noise
by ozrah / January 8, 2010 2:18 PM PST

Thanks for heads up on this problem - the sound was driving me nuts, however just a slight change to the solution to the 650, as the 450 series menu is just a little different, and having turned it off, wanted to share the solution for 450 series owners.

The option can be found under MENU>SETUP>Melody>Off.

Thanks for those who have contributed to this solution/discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.