Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Series 3 (330), won't show any picture/no sound?

by JoshGlzBrk / January 31, 2009 7:20 AM PST

So, I wen't to run some errands, and before I left I hit the round circle power button on my TV to turn it off. It made the sound it makes, and it turned off. Just like normal.

But I come home 2-3 hours later, and hit the power button on my tv, nothing... So I thought I might of not pressed it hard enough, and I tried again... nothing...

So I unplugged the tv for a minute, plugged it back in, didn't work. I tried using it in a different outlet, I tried making sure it wasn't the cable box.

The tv's red power light comes on and blinks when it's supposed to, so it knows it's getting commands from the remote. But it won't display any picture or sound of any kind. It won't even popup the onscreen menu.

Any ideas?

It's a 32 inch samsung (LN32A330J1D)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Series 3 (330), won't show any picture/no sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Series 3 (330), won't show any picture/no sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggest Service...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 2, 2009 1:23 PM PST

JoshGlzBrk,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your television.

The best advice I can offer at this point is to call 800-SAMSUNG and have a service tech come out and inspect your unit.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Unethical
by ELLENN11 / July 26, 2009 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggest Service...

Mr Samsung HD Tech,
Your replies to most peoples' problems are to call Samsung Service. You offer no real advice, especially for the "power on" issues many Samsung models seems to be having. My TV is also a 32-inch LCD television, models number LN32A330J1D. IT IS 6 MONTHS OLD & WILL NOT TURN ON! The power red light is on, but the power button does not respond to attempts to touch it to turn it on or to remote attempts. I would like a helpful response...NOT one that says you don't have enough info, and to call Samsung's 1-800 number. I'll give you all of the details you need.... ask away.
EllenN11

Collapse -
Ellen,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Unethical

Please create your own discussion. Also when posting try to consider that you are asking for help and don't beat up on those that are offering it.

I am however finding consumers that expect their "stuff" to be fixed without a repair person. Sadly we are not there yet.
Bob

Collapse -
The same Series 330 Samsung with no power
by Ahmadei / September 27, 2009 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggest Service...

I turned the set off, went to work, returned home and nothing. Red LED is illuminated but neither the remote or the power button will power the set on. Have UPS with surge and nothing. Contacted Samsung and they said that a tech would contact me and come out, at my expense, since my set is just about a month beyond warranty.
The tech wanted $175, to come put and 225 per hour for any repairs, not including parts. It just doesn't seem right to be charged as much for repairs as a new set. Are the sets supposed to be disposable?!?
I purchased a new Vizio set and it cost much less than it would to fix my faulty Samsung.

Collapse -
the same Series 330, 32 inch with no power
by watsupsamsung / November 3, 2009 2:21 AM PST

Hehe, had the same concern. Mine is exactly 15 months old when didn't work any longer, bought it july 4th of 2008. Oh well, have a good one!

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV series 3 model 330
by phamner43 / November 11, 2009 12:26 PM PST

Model #LN32A330J1DXZA
Serial #AKZ43CPQ702999J
Version CJ03
Series 3/330

What has been the resolution to this problem of not being able to turn on or off a relatively new (about 12 months) HDTV? We too are having the same problem with outrageous repair cost suggested. This can't be good for business Sumsung. I know we'll never buy another. What's up?

Collapse -
my problem....fixed
by ELLENN11 / November 11, 2009 1:47 PM PST

i had my tv for less than six months and it stopped working. Thankfully, because it was under a year old, manufacturers warranty covered the repair. The problem was with the conductors? According to the repairman, it's a flaw in the design of this model. He put in an entire new circuit board and replaced the blown conductor, which was directly behind the power button. Hope your TV end up being covered under warranty, too.

Collapse -
My Set is fixed!!!
by Ahmadei / November 13, 2009 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: my problem....fixed

I took my set to have a friend look at it. He's an electronics tech at NASA. He took it apart, located the problem and fixed it in about 30 minutes. I had to spring for lunch and buy the part which cost a whopping $1.05.
I can't believe that Samsung is unwilling to eat the cost of repairs for a problem that is obviously a design flaw.
Way to go Samsung.

Collapse -
your samsung tv fixed
by erinnicolebalda / November 27, 2009 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: My Set is fixed!!!

Can you please tell me what part your friend replaced to fix you tv. i have the exact same problem and cant find any help.

Collapse -
Samsung TV
by aaanandhismini / January 9, 2010 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: your samsung tv fixed

Well. I have been looking into this on the net and it seems to universally be the capacitors on the power board inside the tv. If you have the ability to solder and de solder then you can do it but if not, it's repair time. I think if enough people complain ti should be an extended warranty repair as these are obviously bed caps.

Collapse -
help need the same fix bad Samsung TV
by keauhou / November 30, 2009 10:44 AM PST

ALoha,
Any info on the aprt and type of fix?
Thanks,
Lisa

Collapse -
This Seems Like a Design Flaw
by trilobug / January 26, 2010 11:42 AM PST

I went to work, turned it off and everything was normal. When I returned home nothing, it won't turn on though it is receiving signals from the remote. From checking the internet it appears that the cause is pretty universal and Samsung is ignoring it - I will never buy another one of there products.

Collapse -
hi
by 1962littleman50 / November 25, 2012 4:43 PM PST

i hve a samsung lcd wth no picture nor soung. if u can help thank3. please let bme know what ur friend done to help urs.

Collapse -
LN32A330J1D
by sweetwatersage / February 22, 2010 9:15 AM PST

I had the same problem after owning my TV for a year and 2 weeks. Wouldn't turn on and the red power light would come on and thats it. Luckily after doing a search I found that many Samsung buyers have the same problem and Samsung won't stand behind their defective capacitors. Called Samsung and a local TV repair and was told by both that it would cost anywhere between $300-$400 to fix.
We sifted through comments on cnet and found there is a cheap fix for those willing to try and fix the problem on their own. Found a website on youtube that shows the process and it worked for us. The youtube video explains the problem and talks about the tv clicking when you turn it on but we didn't have that clicking problem just the solid red light. The process still fixed my tv though.
First we took the back off the tv and found the blown capacitor right away. The end bubbled out and was tinged black. Went on ebay and did a search for the number on the blue capacitor and was able to buy 10 capacitors for 6 bucks (shipping included). Arrived 2 days later popped in the capacitor and soldered it in like youtube instructed. Put the unit back together and all works good. Our TV is working again after spending $16. $10 for the solder gun and $6 for a pack of 10 capacitors. Would reccomend taking pictures of your boards so you know exactly how to put them back together since it was a couple days in between taking apart and putting back together. Now we have extra capacitors but we are ready when it happens again. Will NEVER buy Samsung again... this was rediculous to have to go through all this for a tv that's barely over a year old.
p.s - this tv was bought at Walmart
Go to youtube.com search "SAMSUNG TV REPAIR" for video fix

Collapse -
What type of capacitors?
by kacie_lin / March 15, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: LN32A330J1D

I have had the exact same problem with the Samsung 330 series not wanting to turn on, my TV is almost two years old and i have NEVER had an issue with it at all, but then now my TV will not turn on and the standby light is doing what everyone else has said. My fiancee can work on some and he thought it was the capacitor as well, but my question for those of you that have bought your own capacitors is what type are they?? I didnt want to have to take the whole TV apart yet to find out what kind so i can order them.
I also think its very much a disappointment that a nice TV cannot last on its own for more than two years, but i suppose nothing lasts forever.
Thank you so much if you could help!

Collapse -
Two choices
by robotecg / March 15, 2010 2:37 AM PDT

You can either call Samsung and escalate up the ladder until they agree to extend your warranty for parts and labor. But you'll have to send it in and they had mine for 3 weeks before it was fixed and returned. Or you can find the video on youtube, which shows you how to open up the set and change out the capacitors on the power supply. You wont know which type to get until you find the defective ones. You should be able to find the replacements at Radio Shack. If the blown ones are 10v, replace them with 16v or even 25v. The video is Samsung TV repair.

Collapse -
Power light turns off and on, but no picture
by z4linda / March 31, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

We have the same problem,fortunately this one is under warranty and we are instructed to send it back to samsung, we bought 2 Samsung Tv's, never again!!!but Im begining to wonder if they doen't ALL have problems, no matter which brand you buy, but Ive had it with Samsung, the other Samsung, bought just a year earlier has prblems too, a small discolored spot in the top corner, and a ghost line going accross the top, this unit is less than 3 years old.I have a 13 year old 32 inch TUBE TV in the living room that has never missed a beat, Im afraid these HD, LCD Tv' are going to be nothing but costly prblems for consumers.

Collapse -
Samsung 330 series Power problem
by namohan / April 12, 2010 3:46 AM PDT

Hi,

Had same problem-no power on.TV was 1 year out of warranty.Called Samsung help desk,told them suspected capacitor problem-please fix though out of warranty due apparent design original defect due to so many complaints.They called their nearest authorized repair guy;got him to call us and come over.He came in next day,with all capapcitors,testing tools etc,found the one capacitor showing problem;it was 2200 micro F,10 V.He replaced it with a 2000micro F,25 Volt capacitor(the closet one he had).TV works fine.Free of cost to me!So Samsung did respond.Thanks Samsung (though you caused the problem in the first place,but to err is human,accept is divine!!)and Alvin!!

I live in East Bay,CA and the guy who came in was very professional,great guy to speak to.In case anyone has hassles with TV ,I would highly recommend this guy -Alvin Cayanan (alvincayanan@yahoo.com/510-314-3535).In case above cap fix does not hold out,then most likely entire Power board needs to be changed-will costs $92 incl shipping,per Alvin.Try him out-for folks in Bay Area.

Cheers and all the best,
Mohan
(Try not to open your TV or most technicians will refuse to work!!)

Collapse -
Samsung 32" won't come on. LN32A330 series
by basetoe31 / March 28, 2010 4:13 AM PDT

The problem is on the power supply board. It can be repaired or replaced at a nominal cost. Odds are that the power supply has leaky capacitors and/or bad connections. The power supply can be rebuilt by replacing several of the capacitors.

Collapse -
Same TV, Same Problem - got results from Samsung
by kristinco / April 3, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

So, I have the same problem with the same TV. Took it to a local repair shop that quoted $220 to fix the capicators and a blown regulator. I called 1-800-Samsung and actually got results. I told them that I took it in and the capicitors are bad. They apparently have a new policy about these capicitors. They offered (with no problem) a one-time free in-home service call to fix the capicitors only. The one catch is that if it is something other than the capicitor then I am responsible for the service call. And my TV is about 1.5 years old and out of warrenty. So call Samsung and complain. Tell them that it is documented all over the web and by local repair shops. You can also view the Youtube video fix if you're handy. Good luck, y'all!

Collapse -
Capacitors
by robotecg / April 3, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

Chances are the capacitor issue causes other components failures. They should cover it all.

Collapse -
It's fixed!
by kristinco / April 16, 2010 11:26 AM PDT

Just wanted to follow up. The samsung tech came out the other day. Replaced the entire power supply board, reset the TV, and voila it works! And no cost to me even though TV was out of warrenty. All you folks out there with the same problem - call SAmsung and complain. Tell them about the bad capicators and that it is a known problem and they should offer a free repair. An in-home repair that is. Mine was fixed within a week. If you end up doing the repair yourself, don't forget to RESET the tv otherwise it might not work. Good luck!

Collapse -
My Samsung TV LN32A330J1DXZA is doing the same thing

My TV just died on me a couple of days ago. This information has been helpful because I really thought I had messed up the TV somehow. But this does not reflect highly on Samsung if people are buying these TVs with a known defect in them. My TV is not quite a year old and already it is not working!!! Oh the frustration. Maybe I should not have a LCD and go back to the older versions of TVs.

Collapse -
My Samsung just died...same problem as others have documente
by tbucket23 / October 26, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

My Samsung also quit working. Can't get it to power on, the red light stays on. I read the other posts on this site and thought oh good, I will call Samsung. We called last night and they told us that we could box up our 32" TV and send it to New Jersey (We live in Mississippi)We would have to pay for the shipping and they would put a hold on our credit card for $120. If it was the capacitor, they would fix it and pay to send it back and then release the $120 hold. I thought this was very unreasonable since Samsung caused the problem to begin with. We told them to forget it. I called a TV repair business about 30 miles away and they said they would look at it and if it was a capacitor problem, they would fix it and bill Samsung. They were familiar with the problem. Sumsung never said anything to us about dealers that would fix the problem and Samsung would pay. I imagine this will be the last Samsung that we buy....

Collapse -
Just one problem with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2010 3:51 AM PDT

If you research the BAD CAPS problem you find that it is afflicting other makes as well.

There's a few lessons here. But let's see you post what you think about the BAD CAPS issue.
Bob

Collapse -
I had the exact same problem
by rdaprile / November 4, 2010 2:12 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem. I called the Samsung 800 number I found on this forum. To my surprise and delight Samsung said if the problem was with capacitors (it was) they would fix the problem one time for free. An hour after I spoke with them I received a call from a TV repair business called newTRONICs here in Wilmington, NC. I brought the tv in and 3 hours later they called and said it was ready for pickup! What great service. They replaced 7 capacitors and the tv works fine now. Needless to say I was pleased with how Samsung handled this and the TV repair business newTRONICS was fantastic. The had the tv for 2 years and 3 months when this occurred.

Collapse -
Samsung Series 3 (330)
by katokat / January 14, 2011 4:56 AM PST

I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in Samsung's service (or I should say "lack of") and the Samsung 32" 330 LCD TV. The same problem that everyone else is describing is my experience as well. I tried to get someone on the phone with Samsung to help me for two weeks. It was the most frustrating experience! I think they just try to make you crazy so you will give up and they don't have to take responsibility for their unreliable TV's. I didn't expect to pay so much for a TV and have it only last a little more than a year. And of course I'm being told it is out of the one year warranty period and will cost me several hundred dollars to fix. What's the point in getting it fixed and keep sinking more money into it?! I am shopping for a Sony now and advise everyone to stay away from Samsung and their products.

Collapse -
Yet Another One
by bkm4ster / January 17, 2011 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Series 3 (330)

My TV is doing the same thing that everyone else has talked about. Red light on, but will not turn on. Talked with Samsung. Sounded real good at first. Free one-time repair for this problem. But....have to box up, pay ot ship to NJ, they put a $120 hold on credit card, if that's not the problem, they charge me $50 just for looking at my TV. Not much for customer service. SO how did you other folks get better service, hove visit that they paid for or local folks doing the repair? I appreciate any help or advise.

Collapse -
Samsung
by bkm4ster / January 17, 2011 5:02 AM PST

What part of MS are you in. I'm having same problem.

Collapse -
My tv is doing the same thing
by aelliott325 / May 2, 2012 6:07 AM PDT

My samsung tv started doing the same thing last week. I just called 800-samsung and told them what was happening and that I had seen online that a lot of people were having the same problem. I made sure to mention that many other people were getting the problem fixed for free. They set me up with a local company that will come out within the next few days and do the repairs at no cost to me. My tv is almost three years old, so I am very pleased that they were still willing to do this for free. Hopefully they can get it fixed!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.