Computer Help forum

Question

Samsung SE-208 optical drive problem

by Emjjay27 / January 30, 2013 1:00 AM PST

I am trying to install a Samsung SE-208 optical drive on to an Acer Eee PC Seashell Series tablet running Win7 Startup.
The drive is powering up on the USB connection but does not show up with an assigned drive letter in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
It does show up in Device Manager in Control Panel as a working unit i.e. without the yellow triangle denoting an unrecognised item. Any attempt to update the driver results in a messgage confirming that the current installed driver is up to date.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung SE-208 optical drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung SE-208 optical drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be sure to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 1:08 AM PST

Use the supplied USB cable and the tablet is powered by AC. USB power is often reduced on battery power so you will see this issue. Be sure to test the drive on other PCs. If it works on other PCs you ask Acer why it didn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
Samsung SE-208 optical drive problem
by Emjjay27 / January 30, 2013 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Be sure to

Thanks Bob

A friend has also suggested trying it on another computer. I did not have the tablet on AC so will try both suggestions next chance I have and get onto Acer if these fail.
Thanks for your reply, will leave the topic open for now.

Mick

Collapse -
No joy
by Emjjay27 / February 10, 2013 5:45 PM PST

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply, due to work commitments. Your suggestions did not solve the problem. I will see if I can get access to another machine to try it on.

Collapse -
There are other reasons
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: No joy

But mostly due to what users install on their PCs. I'm working as if the PC is stock. If anyone installed, say a CD emulator or such then that can break USB CD/DVD support.

--> There's another issue is that AUTOPLAY was disabled a few years ago because it created trouble as it would autorun bad stuff. Some new users didn't know that and thought that meant the drive broke.

The drive should appear in device manager after it autoinstalls and the test on another stock PC is always a good idea.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem persists
by Emjjay27 / February 18, 2013 9:01 PM PST

Autoplay checked and enabled, unit is as delivered with no add-ons. Now showing in Device Manager with 'Yellow triangle' following enabling of Autoplay.
On checking for new driver unit still reports that current installed driver is OK.
Will try removing the driver from its location in Windows, saving to USB stick. Then see if it will locate driver disc. If not will put drivers on to a USB stick and try from there.
Unit OK on another machine with immediate access to it in Windows Explorer, as I would expect.

Collapse -
That driver removal is a bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Problem persists

For over a decade, the CD/DVD driver is built into Windows and thousands have gone looking for a driver update and in your post you write you are going to backup the driver. That's unnecessary and can break the OS.

The fact it works on another OS points to something the user did on this PC. Try the old boot to SAFE MODE and remove all CD/DVD drives in Device Manager. NO BACKUP REQUIRED!!! Reboot, then plug in the USB drive and it will reinstall unless someone has damaged the OS with odd tinkering like backup of a native driver.
Bob

Collapse -
Warning headed
by Emjjay27 / February 19, 2013 9:55 PM PST

Thank you for the warning regarding the driver. Will boot into safe mode and remove the CD/DVD Drive and hope for a fix.

Collapse -
Safe mode did not work
by Emjjay27 / March 24, 2013 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Warning headed

Booting to safe mode did not help. Deleted the driver and re-booted, but it still insisted on using the windows driver, refusing to accept any other. Yet telling me the driver failed to load.
Looked round for a 5 year old to help, but could not find one Happy

Collapse -
Then we get to look at the upper and lowerfilters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe mode did not work
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.