TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Samsung Screen Flickering in 1080p

by BroSick / October 28, 2012 11:10 AM PDT

I recently just bought the Samsung UN32ES6500F tv and hooked it up to my Xbox 360 via the audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable which costed over $60. Once I set my Xbox 360 to 1080p, parts of the screen would flicker, primarily the middle sides. I set it back to 1080i and the flickering stopped.

This can't have something to do with my HDMI cable as I also used a respectable Sony HDMI cable and got the same exact result. My Xbox 360 is the newer model as well, so practically my tv and 360 are brand new however my 360 had no problems in 1080p on my previous TV.

Is this really a problem with my TV? Is there a miracle fix anywhere? There is a USB firmware update that I am not sure if it will fix the problem, here is what it states it will do:

This firmware update will improve the following:

- Supports Yahoo SyncPlus app..

- Resolves escaping issue while watching movie on VUDU.

- Resolves issue Cinemanow does not play certain title.

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports Samsung wireless Audio Dock

- Solves the problem closed caption does not show.

Please help me on this one, this TV is an amazing product and I only want to experience my 360 in 1080p

BroSick has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Screen Flickering in 1080p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Screen Flickering in 1080p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
How would I download firmware update?
by BroSick / October 29, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

Yeah, I'm going to download this as a last would I download it exactly? I know you use a USB but where do you go from there? If you download the firmware update on computer, how do you transfer it to tv? Will it automatically detect it? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
I apologize in advance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 11:41 AM PDT

I can never tell you this. It's up to Samsung to detail that at their site and I will never write how here because if you brick a TV from my instructions I would feel bad about it and you would be mad at me.

So back to Samsung.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by BroSick

Collapse -
Here it is Brosick-found this
by Honsfan / November 15, 2012 11:52 AM PST

A solution or workaround has been discovered by another member (MTCruiserr). See ES7100 thread for more information.

4) Disable SyncPlus which you will find in SmartHub (probably last page of app's). Also be sure to locate the terms and condition setting for this application and disable it. Firmware 122.2 installed SyncPlus as part of the update - 1023.2 did nothing to fix the issue.

You will no longer have these issues with 1080P @ 60
this is why when I reset the tv the 1080p would work temporarily (until the syncplus synced again.)

Collapse -
by BroSick / November 16, 2012 6:54 AM PST

Wooo! Thank you Honsfan so much and everyone else who helped along the way. Honsfan did indeed find the solution which stemmed from MTCruiserr's post. To repeat, the solution is:

4) Disable SyncPlus which you will find in SmartHub (probably last page of app's). Also be sure to locate the terms and condition setting for this application and disable it. Firmware 122.2 installed SyncPlus as part of the update - 1023.2 did nothing to fix the issue.

P.S. You can find the terms and condition settings in the Privacy Notice section, just uncheck "Agree". Along with disabling it, streaking/blinking/random lines across screen should cease!

Thanks again everyone!

Collapse -
Try what it says in the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 3:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Changed suggested settings to no avail
by BroSick / October 29, 2012 6:57 AM PDT

I tried turning off the Eco sensor, dynamic contest and some others to no avail. I have tinkered with just about every tv setting I could find. I'd really be surprised if the TVs not able to handle 1080p 60p coming from my Xbox via hdmi. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Wow. This EXACT thing is happening to me. (samsung 55 led)
by Honsfan / November 1, 2012 6:04 AM PDT

TV is fine (1080i) dvd and the flicker on 1080p. 360 fine at 1080i. Just talked with Samsung and they advised need to update same firmware as mentioned in your first post.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 6:27 AM PDT

I'm only wishing here. But my wish is that it helps and you report back.
Wishing, Bob.

Collapse -
Waiting for possible firmware solution
by BroSick / November 1, 2012 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for this.

Ya honsfan, if your going to try that firmware update, let us know the results, I'm out of power due to the hurricane but am eager to try and dl it.

Collapse -
i think mine works now!
by Honsfan / November 3, 2012 3:11 PM PDT

So I was planning on exchanging TV tomorrow. I figured the only thing I haven't done to the TV was just reset it. I unplugged everything from the TV and reset the factory options in menu. When it reset it did update the firmware. Started with my xbox and used HDMI 1 port, 1080p worked,then DVD player-worked ..then stereo system still good (i had read possible interference) last the cable box. everything is running right as of now. Try it,good luck

Collapse -
Post-Firmware Update
by BroSick / November 3, 2012 8:47 AM PDT
Well, the firmware update (version 1023.2) provided on Samsung's Support website did not fix the problem, I am still getting the same inconsistent streaks and flickering occurring when setting my Xbox 360's display mode to 1080p through a (very respectable and in complete working order) HDMI. Very disappointing being that Honsfan called Samsung himself and was told to update to the latest firmware. No idea what to do now, may just have to settle for 720p/60p or 1080i/60i which is ridiculous being the price I spent on this TV.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be much appreciated as this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved as these TVs are super expensive and going through the hassle of returning it and possibly getting a new one with the same problem would be probable (very probable, knowing my luck).
Collapse -
Since it's not fixed, time to return it as defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Post-Firmware Update

Use your consumer voting card. Pack and return it.

Collapse -
Possible Fix?
by arsanious82 / November 4, 2012 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Post-Firmware Update

I was running into the EXACT same issue with my XBox and Samsung TV. I followed Honsfan's instructions by doing a full factory restore (from the Support menu) and the problem seemed to go away. Let me know if this works

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.