Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung S23A750D 23" 120Hz Problem

by nevica1 / December 11, 2012 7:30 PM PST

Hello,

I have a few days ago received this monitor from OCuk.

Samsung S23A750D 23" 120Hz

I am using it with a Gainward Nvidia GTX570 Phantom GPU via DisplayPort cabling.

The trouble I am having is that the monitor has great trouble picking up a signal from the GPU when the computer has gone into sleep mode or been switched off (at this point I can get a signal to the monitor). It's only when I turn the computer back on and then the monitor that I get no signal. To get a signal I have to remove the power cable and put back in or sometimes remove the DP cable and put back in.

I have tried not turning the monitor off (the monitor goes into a sleep mode when the computer goes into sleep mode) but on putting the computer on it does not pick up a signal.

It is only by removing the power cable and/or DisplayPort cable will I get a signal. And this is intermittent.

I have tried upgrading the firmware from Samsung but this hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Nevica

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung S23A750D 23" 120Hz Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung S23A750D 23" 120Hz Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
when the computer has gone into sleep mode or been switched
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 6:27 AM PST

To me this sounds like a PC or video card issue. That's also a very power hungry GPU so you need to talk to the PC maker about the PSU and more. I've seen folk have to fit 750 to 1000 Watt PSUs to drive those.

I feel for folk in this position since they often find there is little support for gaming PCs they made themselves or integrated on their own.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixes
by nevica1 / December 12, 2012 5:51 PM PST

Hello Bob,

No, there is no problem with the PSU or power draw of the GPU. I changed the DisplayPort cable.

I had been using the DP cable (Samsung have not said what type of DP cable it is) supplied by Samsung with the monitor but I changed it for a cable which I knew was 1.2 DisplayPort compatible. This has fixed the connection issues Ie getting a signal from the GPU after the CPU goes into sleep mode. It works now.

Apparently there has been an issue with early Nvidia drivers where the monitor was not recognised by the NVidia drivers. But, I understand that NVidia have fixed this.

The problem I now have (I think this a problem with the Samsung monitor firmware) but the monitor can randomly go to a black screen and report that 1920 x 1280 is an incompatible resolution.

Samsung have recently released a firmware update but having installed this it is not fixed.

So, I think that Samsung still need to release a fix for this.

Nevica

Collapse -
I've seen that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Fixes

As this is a system integrated by other than Samsung, the integrators get to change parts as needed. Only the new to this folk seem to not know this. Some will keep a part in the system that isn't working and learn the old integration lessons first hand.

That is, if you are convinced it's that part, change that part.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.