Samsung

Question

Samsung Remote Not Working Properly

by dlkbj1967 / December 20, 2012 11:44 AM PST

My new Samsumg TV (model 7150) has a problem. When playing shows from Apps such as Netflix and HBOGO it does not respond very well at all to remote control commands such as volume up/down, exit, etc. Sometimes it does but hardly very much at all. It works fine when watching "regular" satellite TV. I have updated the firmware on the TV and I am sure the batteries in the remote are fresh. Any thoughts?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Remote Not Working Properly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Remote Not Working Properly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Fixed?
by Headstump / May 29, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

Noticed an update applied this morning. Tried Netflix and YouTube with the remote tonight and it was working properly for the first time - anyone else?

Collapse -
NOT fixed at all
by Citrus_man / June 26, 2013 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed?

noticed the update as well. Did not fix the remote issue at all. The remote only works when you stand directly in front of the TV or you have the "Smart" TV hooked up via ethernet cable.

You would think that Samsung would be eager to fix that problem, since a lot of customers have the same problem. But NOOOOOO.

What a bust. I will not buy another Samsung product.....EVER. I am very disappointed in this TV. Picture quality is great, but it stops right there. This is the dumbest "SMART TV" on the market.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Remote Not Working Properly
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 21, 2012 12:07 AM PST

Hi dlkbj1967,

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem.
by Matno / December 21, 2012 11:24 AM PST

I have the same problem with my UN55ES7100FXZA. Works fine if I use a remote app on my phone, but with the Samsung remote I have no control over streaming video apps at all. I can start them, but once the video starts, the only way I can control it or the volume is to use my phone. Total pain...

Collapse -
samsung remote
by nephronaut / January 15, 2013 9:22 AM PST

i am also having a problem with the remote. it does not work once watching amazon instant video. tv is un55es7100

Collapse -
Re: samsung remote
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: samsung remote
Collapse -
samsung remote with smart tv not working
by nephronaut / January 16, 2013 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: samsung remote

yes , when i start to watch on amazon prime the remote stops working. i cannot even exit or shut off the tv. my other cable remote also does not function for the tv. i downloaded the samsung remote app to my ipad and that does work!!

Collapse -
Re: samsung remote with smart tv not working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 5:20 AM PST

Hi nephronaut,

OK, you feel up to making a video showing the app working but the physical remote not working?

HD Tech

Collapse -
remote not working with smarthub
by nephronaut / January 16, 2013 7:13 AM PST

i need directions on attaching video, or i can email it

Collapse -
samsung remote not working
by nephronaut / January 16, 2013 7:31 AM PST
Collapse -
why videos?
by Matno / January 16, 2013 3:43 PM PST

The videos are nice, but why do you need them? The descriptions on here more than adequately describe the problem. Same problem has been mentioned numerous other places on the Web...

Collapse -
Please offer a fix if you know one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: why videos?

And at least a link to the other discussion.

Collapse -
Same issue with remote
by Headstump / April 13, 2013 4:12 PM PDT

Model un60es7100 - remote works fine except when using an app. Everything is fine up to the point that the app starts steaming something. Best bet is using the iPad or Android apps to control it, then I can still control the tv when the app is running and streaming something. My example apps are TedTalks, Netflix, and YouTube.

Collapse -
Remote Issues
by Sonytdad / January 2, 2015 5:47 AM PST

Both my smart remote and regular remotes are not working. Initially just the power button was not working but now no other buttons are working. I've replaced the batteries but still nothing. Any advice on what to do? I'm hoping its not a default sensor on the tv. Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
This is a very old posting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Remote Issues

You see that members rarely come back so I'd top post this and crosspost in AVS Forum.

My advice is to try a samsung remote then get estimates on repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem with the remote
by anna4200 / December 25, 2012 8:34 AM PST

I just bought the Samsung UN55ES7150F. I am having trouble changing volume/mute when I use any of the apps. I tried with netflix, and amazon prime.

The remote works well when I am not using the apps. However, this makes my watching of netflix on this smart TV quite painful.

Is this a problem with this model? is there something I can do to fix this? I already have the latest firmware.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Remote Not Working Properly
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2012 3:42 AM PST

Hi dlkbj1967 and others,

We've been unable to replicate the behavior you've been reporting. Could someone experiencing this issue please provide a video and then also list out what firmware version you're currently on?

Thanks,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem... UN55ES7150
by jetfried / December 30, 2012 12:37 AM PST

I am experiencing the same problem. IN this case I am running the Amazon app on smart TV and streaming an HD video over WIFI. And,yes, the TV responds just fine if I am watching a program via my STB.

The TV either does not respond or will respond to 1 out of 20 or so commands from the remote. It doesn't seem to matter what button you push (normally volume... but even pause or mute does not respond).

Like Mato above, I can exert control using the myTifi Remote app on my iPhone.

Samsung HD Tech... what do you want to see in a video?

Collapse -
Re: Same problem... UN55ES7150
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 31, 2012 4:49 AM PST

Hi jetfried,

Please do. We've simply been unable to replicate the issue thus far, and we've had little data to do so.

HD Tech

Collapse -
But what do you want to see in the video?
by jetfried / December 31, 2012 3:10 PM PST

HD Tech...

What do you want to see on the Video?

I am running version 001025. Issues with non-response to the remote occur when I am running HD video thru Amazon Instant Video on Smart TV. In my case I am using WiFi for connectivity... and I am thinking that this may be part of the problem... If I use WiFi and SD video on Amazon, it appears that the TV responds to the remote a more regularly than if I am watching HD.

Note also:
- that the red LED on the bottom right corner of the screen normally flashes when the TV is reading the remote. However, when the TV is not responsive to the remote, the red LED does not flash.
- When I pause the HD video then the TV is very responsive to the remote.

-Jetfried

Collapse -
Re: But what do you want to see in the video?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 11:20 PM PST

Hi jetfried,

My wishlist of things to see would include:

- start with a shot of this Smart Hub details by going here: Smart Hub > Tools > Settings > Properties > Details
- demonstrate you're navigating through the Smart Hub Menu without a problem
- open up Amazon Instant video app
- show remote with a button being depressed for a simple function and the TV not responding
- continue by showing the lack of the red LED flashing on the TV
- point the remote into the camera show the IR bulb; it'll actually flash purple (not visible to the naked eye)
- switch to iPhone in frame with the same command being sent to the TV and the TV responding

HD Tech

Collapse -
Video
by jetfried / January 3, 2013 11:42 AM PST

HD Tech

I am using an iPhone to do the video... so I cannot easily show you the app working...

At the following link you will see at least most of what you are looking for...

http://youtu.be/IAk6lCR9O00

I hope this helps.

Jetfried

Collapse -
Re: Video
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2013 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Video

Hi Jetfried,

Thanks so much! This is the first solid data we've actually got on this issue. I forwarded this along to our testing team. So they may have more questions.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Another bit of info wrt Remote Control
by jetfried / January 6, 2013 5:04 AM PST

HD Tech,

Today I set up Networking via hard wire to the TV (up til now I have been using wireless networking). Running the same test as before I have no problems with the remote.

My conclusion is that the remote control issue is with the TV... When using a wireless network while watching something that is data intensive... the TV can't service the infrared remote at the same time as the wireless input.

My two cents, anyway.

Jetfried

Collapse -
Re: Another bit of info wrt Remote Control
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 12:12 AM PST

Hi Jetfried,

That may be so. If you'd like to make a video also demonstrating this issue with your model, I'll be happy to send it along.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: Another bit of info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 12:14 AM PST

Bah, had too little sleep last night. I realized right after I posted this that you were the same use who posted the video. -- HD Tech

Collapse -
Have you discovered a fix for this?
by rheemzy / March 24, 2014 1:21 PM PDT

I called support about this and they weren't able to fix with firmware and reset. We need a resolution to this issue or we need replacement hardware.

I have the UN55ES7100FXZA as well.

Collapse -
Samsung curved tv remote not working fixed!
by Alx73 / May 13, 2015 1:33 PM PDT

Thank you for putting this information out there. I was going bananas trying to figure out what was wrong with my remote or tv. I connected an Ethernet cable directly instead of wireless and boom issue with remote not working fixed! Unbelievable Samsung this post is from January of 2013 and here it is May 2015 and you guys haven't fixed this issue yet?! People are plopping down thousands of dollars to buy your products least you can do is sell ones that work!

Collapse -
Same problem es7150 remote and amazon app
by Meluch1 / January 12, 2013 12:24 AM PST

I have the same problem. When streaming with amazon app I have no remote control function. Wired or wireless. I have firmware 1025. Tv says there are no new ultes

Collapse -
Updates
by Meluch1 / January 12, 2013 12:26 AM PST

Tv says no new updates.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.