Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung Recovery, boot from USB

by DazedAgain / November 20, 2012 4:51 AM PST

Hi,
I've used the Samsung Recovery Software (v6.0.6.5) from my new Windows 8 based laptop to create a factory image to be used if the HDD fails. The Recovery software allows the user to specify to create a bootable usb device.

I know the flash drive works well.

I wanted to test that it worked, so I changed the BIOS to boot from the USB device first, and it seems to find it but after about a minute a blue screen appears with the title "Recovery". It says that it is unable to locate \Windows\system32\boot\winload.efi . This path does not exist on the flash drive.

It gives the error code : 0xc0000001.

Bios is AMI P03ABF.

The flash drive include the files: bootmgr and bootmgr.efi at the root, along with about 15GB of others.

I know that there is a partition on the HDD, however, I want to create a bootable USB device so that the system can be recovered if the HDD were to fail in the future.

Samsung tech support on the phone fobbed me off with "visit this store to have the problem fixed".

Any ideas?

Regards,
Dazed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Recovery, boot from USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Recovery, boot from USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by DazedAgain

Collapse -
Is that drive formatted NTFS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 5:11 AM PST

UEFI is unable to identify a USB drive formatted with NTFS as a UEFI boot device.

Look, let me be blunt. UEFI is a minefield. If it blows up on you, send the machine back.
Bob

Collapse -
USB File format
by DazedAgain / November 20, 2012 5:26 AM PST

Hi,
The drive has been formatted as FAT32.

As a last resort, I've tried on the USB 2.0 port, the USB 3.0 port (it is a USB2.0 flash drive) and from outside of Windows itself by pressing F4 on boot and doing the backup from there. No change with any of these attempts other than the transfer was much quicker when running from within the F4 partition.

Samsung tech support was less than helpful. The last claim was that it was not their "recovery" software.

Dave.

Collapse -
Reports continue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: USB File format

About USB boot issues with UEFI. It's a minefield and you have a few strikes not in your favor with just one drive and well, that error is not unknown but is not owned by Samsung from what I see (hint? Microsoft.)
Bob

Collapse -
So it doesn't work.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: USB File format

Nothing you can do about it. Return it and get your money back if the shop can't fix it (they can't).

Kees

Collapse -
Full format required
by DazedAgain / November 22, 2012 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: So it doesn't work.

The key was to do a full format at the default allocation size as FAT32. Thinking back, I only did a quick format.

Secure boot must be disabled in bios/uefi.

My fault. Lesson learned just before I took it back.

Thanks for all your help.
Dazed.

Collapse -
Answer
Try one more time. Then return it as defective.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 5:06 AM PST

Great idea to test it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.