Samsung

Alert

Samsung Product Problems (TV, Laptop, Phone)?

by EA_CNet / December 6, 2012 7:22 PM PST

Hi All,

I have decided that Samsung are a horrendous product company. The products do come across as nice and they do use bleeding edge tech, but at the same time, I have found they are not reliable and customer/technical services are just as bad!

Item 1: Samsung ultraportable laptop (next step up from a netbook). Freezes randomly (even the mouse won't work)_ requires hard reset. Problem about a year after purchase.

Item 2: Samsung Galaxy S2. Samsung Kies is an unbelievably rubbish piece of software. The drivers especially are unstable. I connect to my PC and 19 times out of 20 I get "Hardware ID missing". If there is a problem with the firmware, I can't upgrade my phone because... Hardware ID is missing. Other forums have no solution but to "keep unplugging and plugging in and it might work on the 100th time". In any case, whilst the Windows OS will recognise the devices, Kies itself will not. It just churns and if it does finally manage to connect, I can't back up anything, sync anything or do anything with it. Pathetic piece of software.

Item 3: 7 month old Samsung TV, model UE32EH5000K. TV keeps switching itself off and on. This has been asked elsewhere on the web and there are no solutions anywhere. I conacted Samsung support and was told to upgrade the firmware. Afterwards, same problem. Sumsung support then claim it needs a repair, then tell me the TV is too big for them to action a repair and to contact an authorised service centre using 'the link below' (without giving me a link), but then tell me that the TV is too small to be collected by a service centre!?! How can this be? Too big for Samsung to collect and too small for an authorised Samsung Service centre to collect. You couldn't make this up! :-S

So I have actually now got to take it to the service centre to get it repaired and given the experiences of other customers on here, it won't fix the problem longer term. So I definitely say avoid Samsung products as a whole. I can't believe I have three products all of which have problems and the technical services departments can't solve them. It's disgraceful. Given I work in tech, when asked, my recommendations will be to consider all other options first and avoid Samsung if possible. 3 out of 3 failures is not impressive Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Product Problems (TV, Laptop, Phone)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Product Problems (TV, Laptop, Phone)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Samsung Product Problems (TV, Laptop, Phone)?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2012 11:24 PM PST

Hi EA_CNet,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if my counterparts in the UK can research this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Transaction Number?
by EA_CNet / December 10, 2012 4:56 PM PST

Customer reference number: 2115202765
Email response ID: 2112268493

^I assume you mean the above? If it's something associated with purchasing online through Samsung, then no. I bought it from a retail store here in the UK and the support tickets are all that we get with the above information on them.

Collapse -
It's never clear is it?
by fp655 / December 12, 2012 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Transaction Number?

Yeah, I had the same question - The transaction number is actually the case number or reference number they give you when you call in to Samsung to discuss a problem, not a number referencing the purchase. Just another knot to untie with this company.

Collapse -
Should I, shouldn't I?
by EA_CNet / December 16, 2012 5:12 PM PST

Following on, given Samsung are not willing to collect the TV, I have the option of taking it to the authorised service centre. The one closest to where I am is a good few miles away but I need a guaranteed repair (which I am not going to get IMO anyway). What I tend to do is look for reviews, so imaging my shock when I saw the following set:

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/1126451-Visual-Service-Centre-Manchester

There seems to be zero happy customers with that service centre. Apparently one review claimed that Samsung were supposed to run an internal investigation on this company. It would be interesting to see the results of that.

@HD_Tech - How are you getting on with seeing if your UK counterparts can research the issue? I supplied the details in a reply. Thanks again to fp655 for clearing up the meaning of 'transaction number' for us UK customers.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung Product Problems (TV, Laptop, Phone)?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2012 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: Should I, shouldn't I?

Hi EA_CNet,

I had sent an email the same day you sent your reply. I'm quite surprised you haven't been contacted, so I followed up with my contacts in the UK.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Dlp Malarkey
by fp655 / December 7, 2012 1:43 AM PST

Wow EA_Cnet ! That's a lot of problems on a lot of products! My problem is the continuing saga of the white spots on my DLPTV. Up until last month I was a very satisfied customer. The picture was the best! Now every few days another white spot appears. My research shows that it is a failing DMD chip. Many of these have been recalled and Samsung was offering a free one time repair. My set was pretty expensive and even though it is 5 years old, a premium unit shouldn't be failing with a known problem like this. I contacted Samsung on their chat line and am pretty sure the agent didn't speak english well as most of the responses didn't make much sense. So I called Costco (place of purchase) they hooked me up with Samsung. 1st operator said my unit was not on the list, regular wear and tear- nothing she could do except schedule me a repair at MY expense. I asked to be transferred to someone who could do something, and was denied again for the same reason - not on the list, regular wear and tear. If there is a known problem with DLP DMD chips that result in the white (or black) spot syndrome, why is it a recall for some sets and regular wear and tear for others. 5 years for a 2400 dollar set is ridiculous. My next call is to the Better Business Bureau because a 5 yr life span on a premium product like that is usury no matter what recall status might be.

Just in case Samsung gives a dang

Model HL-T6756WX/XAA
Serial number AJHJ3CKP600324T
Samsung transaction number 5104744710

Collapse -
Bad to worse.
by EA_CNet / December 16, 2012 6:58 PM PST

The service centre states that they can't accept the TV without the receipt. I have a proof of purchase, but they won't accept it without a receipt, even though I have the bank statement which shows the purchase (In the UK, to decline it because you don't actually have the receipt even though you have a proof of purchase in the form of a bank statement or anything else showing the purchase date, is illegal).

Additionally, Samsung have to raise the ticket, but they won't raise the ticket because the TV is too big! *facepalm*

F**k me! I've had enough already. This is going to the office of fair trading.

Collapse -
Receipt
by fp655 / December 16, 2012 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Bad to worse.

So I had the same problem here with the receipt. I purchased on a credit card and was told that my statement wouldn't work. It turned out that by going to the store I purchased from (Costco) I was able to get a new receipt printed out from them. This worked. Hope it does for you

Unfortunately for me, Samsung still decided that they were not responsible for their SUBSTANDARD product.

Here's my info again Samsung HD Tech. I hurl my gauntlet at your face. You have been challenged to do the right thing! I await satisfaction.

Model HL-T6756WX/XAA
Serial number AJHJ3CKP600324T
Samsung transaction number 5104744710

Collapse -
Re: the gauntlet you threw at me
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2012 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Receipt

Hi fp655,

I looked at the service ticket previously, but I decided to look at it again since you offered the challenge. You previously spoke with Jasmine and Virginia, and I see they both gave you the correct information. I can offer the same thing that I'm sure they did: to have a service center contact you about getting this problem service. Let me know if you'd like for me to do so.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Maybe I don't understand
by fp655 / December 17, 2012 10:46 AM PST

Perhaps I'm missing something. What you and Jasmine and Virginia are all offering is that you will make a phone call for me to set up a repair that I will have to pay for. This repair runs about 600 dollars. Do I understand that correctly?

Collapse -
Re: You understand correctly
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 18, 2012 12:41 AM PST

Hi fp655,

I can arrange for a service center to contact you, and you can ask them whatever question you would like about their service charges. Since your warranty has expired, the cost would be borne by you. If you'd like for me to do so, just let me know.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Going the distance
by fp655 / January 7, 2013 1:28 AM PST

Hi HD Tech,

The problem progresses here, (many white spots now) and I wouldn't want to be remiss in giving you every opportunity to provide a solution. So in the interest of being thorough please have your service center contact me. I will post back with their proposal. So far though, you guys don't leave me feeling so good about your products or your commitment to them.

Collapse -
Re: Going the distance
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Going the distance

Hi fp655,

I set you up for service moments ago. Normally, I'd send this kind of memo by email, as I don't have your email. I'll simply say that your transaction number for this repair is 4117604358. This isn't sensitive information; however, if you want to correspond with me more privately, feel free to message me by going to my profile and using the email button.

HD Tech

Collapse -
I took mine back to Curry's Digital/PC World
by EA_CNet / December 17, 2012 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Receipt

HD_Tech, don't worry about it. I wasn't expecting to get a solution from your side anyway, as something actually going anywhere near right wouldn't be in keeping with Samsung's abysmal customer service process.

I took time out and took my TV back to the store I purchased it from, explained the unbelievably ridiculous problem (they were surprised, which is understandable, because so was I) and after checking my address via their TV license audit, they stated they can book it in. I don't take out extended warranties, but they had to run it through that process.

As it stands they have taken it for repair and given me a ticket. They said it will be 10 to 14 days, which probably means end of Jan/beginning of Feb due to the Xmas period. What worries me massively is my work situation may mean that I am working out of my home city by the time the TV is returned to the store. In which case it potentially stays there for 6 months or more unless I am willing to give up a day or two of my time to collect the blasted thing. This is assuming all other customers who have experienced a recurrence of the same problem a short time after repair are mistaken (which I don't think they are).

Collapse -
I have the TV back
by EA_CNet / January 6, 2013 5:29 PM PST

Two days after I sent the TV back to the store, I got a call from a lady in Samsung UK who offered to have someone come round to mine and repair the TV within 48 hours. However, I had sent he TV back by then so there was nothign more that could be done.

I received the television back on Friday 4th January 2013. So far, the television has had no further issues. The screen was dimmer when I first got it out of the wrapping and switched it on. But we shall see how this progresses. Given others' experience online, I am half expecting the issue to return in between two weeks and a month, but we shall see.

Today's farce is trying to find out if the Samsung ultra-portable laptop I have can take a memory upgrade. The documentation doesn't have any reference to a maximum amount of RAM that can be supported. So I am wasting my time sending an e-mail to Samsung support again. Samsung this is school-kid information, why can't they just include it in the user manual, online or anywhere else (before someone spends money and find it can't be upgraded for example)?

Collapse -
Re: I have the TV back
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: I have the TV back

Hi EA_CNet,

I might be able to find that out for you. What's the model code?

HD Tech

Collapse -
OK, if you're confident :-)
by EA_CNet / January 9, 2013 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: I have the TV back

Thanks. It would be useful to have this info readily accessible though. It is has to be part of a production spec so it has to already exist somewhere!

The model info is:

Type: Notebook
Model Number: NP305U1A
Model Code: NP3051UA-A02UK

Cheers and godspeed!

Collapse -
Re: OK, if you're confident
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:53 AM PST

Hi EA_CNet,

Note this is based off the US build details, but I think they're pretty similar: it ships with the maximum of 4GB.

HD Tech

Collapse -
OK thanks.
by EA_CNet / January 9, 2013 3:57 AM PST

So there's no upgrade on that then. I was sold it with 4GB and so given I can't seem to see a reason why someone would really want to downgrade memory (unless they are going to wipe it and start running a 16-bit OS), I wonder why Samsung bothered to include the upgrade panel under the mainboard. Could have just started down the road of an 11 inch ultra-book instead of producing this. Maybe they planned to ship it with a smaller memory size, like 3GB initially. Still, c'est la vie.

Final questions for a clean sweep of my Samsung products. You don't happen to know why Kies is rubbish do you? Windows 8, using the mouse, click the 'Tools' menu and see where it displays the drop-down. I am running Kies 2.5.1.12123_2. Is there a way to update firmware without using Kies or a third party tool like ODIN (I appreciate you may not be able to endorse the latter)? How good is Kies lite? Is it built on to the same base as Kies is?

Additionally, when I plug in my phone (Galaxy S2), my "Hardware ID is missing" all the time (Windows 7 and 8). This means I can't upgrade firmware, backup, restore or sync files. So any solution provided by Samsung, I won't be able to place on the phone (if it is indeed that). Is it the cable's connections? Is it the driver? Is it the firmware?

Collapse -
Re: More questions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: OK thanks.

Hi EA_CNet,

OK, going out on a limb to speculate on the RAM thing, but I'm going to suppose it was for manufacturing reasons to allow for different builds, as the same body can be re-used in different markets.

Regarding Kies, personally, I'm a fan of Kies Air. But for Android updates, you don't need to use Kies. On your Android device, you can upgrade it this way instead: Settings > About Device > Software Update > Check New. Some of the steps might vary a bit, since I gave you the steps from my S3 running JB.

About your S2 specifically, I'll have to take a step back from that one, since I don't technically support anything with a telecom chip (I work for SEA, which is separate from STA) or anything non-US. I'll venture guesses when I feel comfortable, but I don't have a good one for you.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Don 't updates depend on the phone provider too?
by EA_CNet / January 10, 2013 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: More questions

I don't have an unlocked phone and I am with Vodafone UK. So updated don't seem to come to us very often and I have only had one update via the OTA mechanism before. Should I get all updates? I only ask because in the UK, we can have tailored elements supplied by the telco and these are not all provided OTA.

Anyway, thanks for the attempt.

Collapse -
In the USA I can comment on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 7:03 AM PST

All the phones you get from the carrier are pretty much as you state. Updates are only from them (iPhone being the rare exception.)

Since such updates are likely to cause service disruptions and folk flocking to service counters you rarely see OTA updates. This is one reason I always give out advice to the question "I want this phone but it doesn't have Jelly Bean. Can I expect Jelly Bean soon?" The advice is to not get that phone because of how cellular carriers are slow to issue such updates if at all.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Probably.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 7:05 AM PST

Hi EA_CNet,

But I don't really know because I simply don't know their procedures. I know for SEA: any update you can get from Kies, you can get from OTA.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.