HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Samsung PN60E8000 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 17, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60e8000/4505-6482_7-35118281.html

Related products:
Samsung PN51E8000
Samsung PN64E8000

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/JAt0mc

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Samsung PN60E8000 in a dim room via the HDMI input with a 1080p/24 source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The default Movie setting was, as usual for Samsung plasmas, quite accurate before I did any adjusting. I appreciated having the myriad settings available, however, and was able to get the TV very close to ideal using the ten-point grayscale and the best-in-class color management system. The exception was a spike at 50 in blue, which I couldn't correct because my reading fluctuated from measurement to measurement, and the adjustment was too coarse. My readings for green and cyan also fluctuated somewhat, but not as much.

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 41, Green 2, Blue 2
Green: Red 13, Green 53, Blue 0
Blue: Red 1, Green 2, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 12, Green 56, Blue 52
Magenta: Red 41, Green 5, Blue 48

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 27
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -3
Interval 2: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +4
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red +2, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +5
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +5
Interval 10: Red +3, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration report on 04/17/2012 at 1:40 PM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN60E8000 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN60E8000 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure if this is the place
by stylz / April 18, 2012 11:02 AM PDT

Not sure if I should ask this hear or on the TV's main page, but I'm currently testing my e8000 and one thing I am running into is that the speakers are causing this horrible vibration buzz even at reasonably low volumes, i've gone into the sound menu and tweeked the EQ in every combination i can imagine as well as played with the presets and still have the issue. The picture so far is stella but im having a hard time watching anything without my theater system online

Collapse -
Mine didn't have that problem
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 19, 2012 3:14 AM PDT

...for what it's worth. I'm not saying the audio was good, but in limited listens it wasn't buzzing like you describe.

Collapse -
hoping this is just bad luck
by stylz / April 20, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

Thanks for the feedback, im going to request another model and see if the problem persist

Collapse -
I have the same issue !
by amunoz_tico / May 29, 2012 6:27 AM PDT

Dear stylz,

I have the same issue... "a persistent buzz" .

How have you solved the problem? Is it due to audio setting? Or could be an electric interference?

Regards!

Collapse -
Pn64e8000 buzzing
by Shellguy10 / August 28, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

From the front of tv,in the lower left corner on the back side there is a panel that is loose and vibrates. Put a piece of duct tape on it and see if the buzz stops.

Collapse -
PN60E8000 vs. PN60E7000
by dlmax63 / April 21, 2012 1:41 PM PDT

I recently (yesterday) got my 7000. Excellent picture BTW Happy I'm wondering,... should the 8000 settings be comperable to the 7000? From what I understand, the only difference between the two is the "smart interaction".

Collapse -
8000 vs 7000?
by TacticalChunder / April 22, 2012 1:07 PM PDT

I'm very interested in your opinion of a difference, if any between the 8000 and the 7000. I'm not interested in all the extra stuff that they are forcing you into paying for with the 8000, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on the 7000 for fear that the picture quality isn't as good. Any insight that you could provide as an owner of a 7000 would be great. Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: difference
by dlmax63 / April 22, 2012 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 8000 vs 7000?

Not having the 8000 in my home, I feel that I can't give an honest comparison between the 8 & 7000. I have seen them side by side in BB and the differences between them appeared to be cosmetic (i.e. color of the bezel). The specs do give the 8000 a higher clear motion rate but I couldn't tell the difference. The obvious difference is the lack of motion/voice control, IR blaster and touch remote. I chose the 7000 because I didn't want the motion/voice. I've played around with it every day on an ES8000 for a few weeks and I find it slow and inaccurate. A little too early in the development cycle for my taste. I will say that when it works, speaking a url in the browser can be useful. That said, I bought a sub-$30 logitec keyboard mouse, plugged it into my 7000 and was up and running instantly... much preferred to the touch remote IMHO.

Collapse -
Picture quality after these suggested settings
by chicocruz / April 24, 2012 8:49 PM PDT

Hello out there,
I am a proud owner of a PN51E8000, I'm running the latest HD/DVR reciever from Directv which outputs a signal at 1080/24Hz and I have a 1.4 HDMI cable connecting them both in addition to the samsung E6500 3D Blueray that is also connected thru a 1.4 HDMI cable.

Now that I stated what my set up looks like, let me get to the reason I decided to take the time to reply to this post. Right after upgrading to this model I began looking into calibrating it, however, trying to avoid the $250 to $400 cost of professional calibrators coming out and doing the calibrations for me.
So, after researching calibration options I noticed that there were Blueray discs that helped you calibrate your tv and I also noticed out of all of the ones out there that, Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition [Blu-ray], had some of the most favorable reviews. So I went ahead and purchased it for $25 on amazon. played it thru my Blueray as it said I should and found it to be limited. there's pleanty of calibration patterns for you but besides mentioning to use the color and brightness features to do the adjustments they really do tell you what else to adjust to get the desired calibrations. Definitely not impressed.

I felt that the disc was limited to certain adjustments, and that was a shame since one of the great features of this samsung model is its thorough array of possible adjustments from the basic picture settings menu, to advanced settings, and to the picture options.

Now, I tried the disc as I mentioned as well as some calibration settings from other sites and still felt that they had not given my tv its full potential. Furthermore, I thought my best bet was just forking over the $200 to $300 to get it professionally calibrated. Until, I came across this post.

The calibration settings in this post engaged the picture adjustment capabilities of my TV way more than the Disc and the other sites ever did. And, like they say the proof is in the pudding, the picture quality of my set is now amazing compared to the default settings and other settings I had tried. Now, I know why most experts consider this samsung model as one of the best picture quality sets in the market. The color is now very rich and deep, the black levels are great and the detail to the image is crazy amoung other things.

Finally, to argue the other side of this discussion, I would say that the Spear & Munsil Disc can not be made specific to every set and it may work well for other tvs or with a more seasoned pro to the calibration of tvs. But for someone that is somewhat new to this concept but that has done some research, I think I should have saved my $25 and just gone with this calibration settings.

Thank you so much!!!

Collapse -
Cinema Smooth, TV reboot glitch... I would wait to buy...
by Agrant11 / April 26, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

The Cinema Smooth is grayed out on mine and mine keep shutting off and turning back on? I think it might have something to do with the Firmware but this really needs to get fixed. It really puts an end to the fun when your
$2500 tv just shuts down and resarts during a 3d movie with the fam.... I would not buy this T.V. unitl this is fixed by Samsung. They have told me it is a known issue and they are working on it. It has something to do with being connected to the internet and the Firmware but a week has gone by and no fix still.

Collapse -
Thank you for the calibration info!

Hi David,

Thanks for your review and the calibration numbers.

Just one quick question.

Samsung released a firmware update for this TV. I was wondering if you had a chance to update your TV with the firmware and noted if the calibration numbers needed any updating?

The firmware update was out on April 15, 2012.
(ver.1016.3) (Description Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. Improves picture quality. Enhances Voice Recognition feature. Change the TV Power On command from Hi TV to Hi TV Power On or Smart TV to Smart TV Power On.)

Thank you!!!

Collapse -
flickering black fades
by Stonesfan03 / April 28, 2012 1:45 PM PDT

From the review

"I was also a bit annoyed to see that in fades to black, the screen of the E8000 turned off completely, a behavior typically associated with LCDs and not plasmas. It does so more quickly than the PN59D7000 -- fast enough that the black screen flashed off and on distractingly during the black fades at the beginning of "Watchmen," for example. Neither the Sharp Elite nor the other plasmas turned off when fed black screens."

This needs to be addressed by Samsung. I have the E550 and it's extremely annoying. It'll happen during just about any movie that has a fade in/out (i.e., 90% of movies out there). Hopefully this issue gains the traction that last year's brightness pops did and Samsung steps up to the plate with a firmware update.

Collapse -
pic setup on Samsung PNE8000
by Dugchek / April 29, 2012 3:26 AM PDT

I just bought the PN60E8000 and went thru your calibration setup. First thing out of box I updated software.
On the 10P white balance sub menu, mine is gayed out. Can't make any adjustments. Also film mode
options are off, auto 1, or auto 2. No cinema 2 available. What am I missing here. Thanks

Collapse -
Use Advanced Settings Menu for 10P
by Nickfie / November 27, 2012 11:33 AM PST

In Advanced Settings menu, set 10p White Balance option to "On". Then you'll get access to the 10p settings.

Very pleased with the picture after using these settings. Really enjoy the colors and blacks in movies. My obsessive demon sometimes whispers that it could be tweaked a bit more to get closer to perfection.

Collapse -
3D Setting?
by amunoz_tico / May 29, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

Dear friends,

I would like to know if you have any suggestion for the 3D setting section.

Regards!

Collapse -
Movie mode vs others
by durdaneta2 / November 28, 2012 3:13 AM PST

I apologize if this questions sounds unintelligent since i dont have much expertise on the topic but i followed your callibration settings and the picture looks amazing (thank you!) but i would like to know if the movie setting is also the ideal setting for watching regular television shows (wether it be from cable or hulu etc...) or if it should be reserved for watching movies.

Collapse -
samsung pn51e7000
by Nazzarus / February 20, 2013 9:14 AM PST

Just out of curiosity, i have calibration setting from another website(supposedly and expert) and the numbers are very different. I might add the settings are specific to the PN51E7000 which i own less than a week now.The other site says, "The PN51E7000 calibrates easily to D65k..." I thought the PN... 8000 series was similar enough to the PN...7000 series to use the same settings. Can you explain the difference?
I am still deciding which setting is more pleasing.

Collapse -
PN64E8000 picture settings
by cc4tnr / March 16, 2013 10:21 AM PDT

Thx so much for the post on the picture settings. I had been waiting for this TV to come down in price and I was able to pick up on low price point with all the new TVs ready to come out. I know I will be envious of the new ZT Panasonic but picking up 2012 technology for under 2k on a 64" TV (replaced my 40") is a nice upgrade. I had 2 questions though - I update the SW today and applied all the settings - the only issue I had was the "cinema smooth" picture option is noe grayed out - it wasn't before the upgrade - I chose auto2 instead - anyway to unlock this option? Also I notice a split second "focus" moment on close ups and sometimes on camera angle changes - is this normal on this size tv or are there any suggestions - I have TW cable snd my box is on a splitter with my wireless modem - maybe I need a signal booster? Thx,

Collapse -
PN60E8000 sound settings
by icskie / July 13, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

hey!!

thanks for the settings it looks amazing we also have the pc-t55gt60. i was wondering if you had the sound settings for the pn60e8000. everything we have tried has sounded awful when watching a movie with any type of blast or action type sound.

any pointers?

Collapse -
Film Mode Greyed Out
by Bruce443443 / August 6, 2013 7:35 AM PDT

Hola,

Best settings I have found thus far for the TV. On the picture options submenu the Film Mode is greyed out and unavailable.

Would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
samsung 39inch 5000f series
by scotto1978 / December 10, 2013 1:56 AM PST

I recently got the 39inch 5000f model from best buy. I have spent many weeks trying to different settings i have found online even these above. The problem im having is the color setting at 50 tends to be very dull almost black and white. I was able to turn the dynamic contrast up to meduim and hdmi black level to limited and the gamma to minus 1 to help. Maybe this model has bad color saturation compared to other higher quality models. Any suggestions to help the greyness look of this led samsung thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.