HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Samsung PN59D7000 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / July 29, 2011 12:32 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn59d7000/4505-6482_7-34468714.html

Related products:
Samsung PN51D7000
Samsung PN64D7000

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/rfzClK

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung PN59D7000 in a dim room via the HDMI input at 1080p/24 resolution. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 16
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 66
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 46, Green 67, Blue 53
Green: Red 100, Green 54, Blue 30
Blue: Red 0, Green 42, Blue 60
Yellow: Red 42, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 100, Green 39, Blue 55
Magenta: Red 60, Green 100, Blue 83

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 28
G-Offset: 21
B-Offset: 19
R-Gain: 21
G-Gain: 30
B-Gain: 30

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -4, Green -4, Blue -3
Interval 2: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -2
Interval 3: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 1
Interval 4: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 2
Interval 5: Red 4, Green 4, Blue 3
Interval 6: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 2
Interval 7: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 1
Interval 8: Red 1, Green 2, Blue 0
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration report on 07/29/2011 at 7:41 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN59D7000 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN59D7000 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Picture setttings for 51D7000
by aggienader08 / August 10, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

David,

Do these settings apply to the 51" model as well? I assume turning "CinemaSmooth" on is in a different menu? Will that directly effect these settings? Haven't received TV yet. Just preparing myself.

Thanks,

aggienader

Collapse -
Contrast Fluctuations of picture and black bars
by Rudy C1 / August 10, 2011 8:09 AM PDT

David,

Could you look further into the D7000 and look for fluctuations of the black bars in letter boxed movies (this is easier to see than a full screen picture but it does happen there too). Love this set for the price but the "Contrast Fluctuations" remind me of the adjustable Iris Sony tried to use on their rear projection SXRD tv's a few years ago. AVS forums reports that this is a "feature" with this years model. To me it is annoying but many are living with it. Was this done in an effort to get a darker over all picture?

Hopefully this is something that Samsung can fix with a patch. I have a Samsung B series that has an excellent picture and does not fluctuate like this D series does.

Thanks for Great Reviews!

Collapse -
Replaced with 2nd D7000 and picture improved!
by Rudy C1 / September 15, 2011 5:12 AM PDT

I had Amazon replace my first 65D7000 with a 2nd one for buzzing and black fluctuations. Hated to do it as the picture was great with no dead pixels. 2nd 65D7000 has same buzz but the fluctuations virtually went away And I swear this tv's black level is darker, actually I would say almost black compared to my first one using the same settings. Definately keeping this one as the picture is absolutely amazing!!! The buzz I will live with at this price and turn up the volume!

Collapse -
green color cast
by gabe372-junk / September 4, 2011 3:00 AM PDT

David,

Thank you for the settings. Why do these settings appear to create a green cast (tint) with the overall image compared to standard mode? You stated that the PN51D7000 has one of the best image quality. But compared to my previous Samsung LED UN46D6500, the PN51D7000 image does not have the sharpness and "pop" off the screen. It image appears soft. Is this the nature of a plasma TV compared to LEDs? This is my first plasma.

I bought the PN51D7000 1 week ago to replace my broken Samsung LED UN46D6500 because of your excellent review.

Thanks for your reply.

-paul

Collapse -
I agree GREEN!
by denet2469 / September 15, 2011 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: green color cast

I also purchased my Samsung PN64D7000 2 days ago. I installed these setting and I must agree....way to green and a soft image. Just horrible. I went to Standard mode and came up with a vibrant "POP". I may purchase a Spears & Munsil dvd a do it myself.

Collapse -
Look at the AVS forum for different cal settings
by Rudy C1 / September 15, 2011 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree GREEN!

I used the setting from AVS not the ones here. Did not want to sacrifice settings to include 24p. Will live with 60hz and the calibrated settings from several posters from AVS who have had their tv calibrated, man what an amazing picture!

Collapse -
green
by denet2469 / September 15, 2011 9:35 AM PDT

can you post those setting or the link to it please?

Collapse -
AVS Forum D7000 settings
by Rudy C1 / September 16, 2011 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: green

These are great 2D starting points. Make adjustements to your preference. I personally don't like warm 2 which is the standard most strive for, I prefer warm 1. Also when you start adjusting 10 pt white it starts to get specific for your tv and viewing environment. I tried them but did not like the look so I turned it off. I am Extremely pleased with general settings and cms for my picture.

Picture Movie
Temp Warm2
Cell 20
Contrast 95
Bright 60
Sharp 20
Color 50
Tint 50
2pt white Default

Gamma 0

CMS
Red Green Blue Yellow Cyan Magenta
R 44 92 55 62 60 64
G 66 55 55 68 72 90
B 48 80 48 50 82 66

10 pt white balance
R -3 1 2 0 -4 -7 -9 -10 -10 -10
G -2 -2 -1 -1 -3 -5 -7 -8 -9 -9
B 0 -2 -2 -1 -1 -3 -4 -7 -10 -7

Enjoy!

Collapse -
Buzzing noise
by gabe372-junk / September 4, 2011 3:05 AM PDT

Hi David,

Did you notice a buzzing noise when you reviewed the Samsung PN51D7000? My 1 week old TV (build date July 2011) has a buzzing noise that is noticeable when the volume is turned down low or when the room is quiet.

Is this a defective TV?

Thanks again for your response.

-Paul

Collapse -
Buzzing noise, and grey haze
by noseeb13 / September 15, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Buzzing noise

I was wondering the same thing (build date also July 2011), I called Samsung and they offered to send someone out but I don't want to pay if it is normal. I am sitting 10-12 feet from the TV and can easily hear the buzzing unless I have the volume up pretty high.

Also watching TV or movies I will often get a quick change on parts of the screen that seem to have a grey looking haze particularly on the bottom of the screen. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Collapse -
black level fluctuations are there
by Rudy C1 / September 15, 2011 5:16 AM PDT

I had my first D7000 replace for this same problem of fluctuating black levels. Luckily Amazon is wonderful with exchanges. The 2nd plasma was much better with the fluctuations unfortunately buzz is still there. Keeping it for the picture though.

Collapse -
fluctuating black levels
by gabe372-junk / September 20, 2011 3:56 PM PDT

Hello,

I have a recently bought PN51D7000. How do you check for black level fluctuations? Does it occur when the image suddenly goes darker or brighter with no apparent reason? Is this what you mean by fluctuating black levels?

Please explain what you mean by fluctuating black levels and how to check for it.

Thank you for your response.

Collapse -
Fluctuating black levels (bars)
by Rudy C1 / September 21, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

I want to make sure you understand it is the black bars that are the most noticeable when the black levels fluctuate, I'm sure it is happening in the picture but it is very subtle and you probable couldn't tell if it wasn't for the black bars changing when your watching a bluray. I wouldn't be able to notice during a full wide screen 16 x 9 show/movie. My first tv was bad I could plainly see it fluctuating every time the scene changed in the picture. Could not stand it and returned it. The 2nd tv is very subtle with this and I almost don't notice it now. Kind of like what Katzmaier saw or didn't according to him in his review. Buzz issue is still there unfortunately!

Collapse -
Where is CinemaSmooth + Custom Options not saving
by pantomime725 / October 11, 2011 12:28 PM PDT

You mention in your review a "CinemaSmooth" setting, but cannot find this in the televisions settings. Could someone guide me as to where to find this option?

Also, with any given custom settings... I cannot seem to have them save after I exit the menu screen. Did anyone happen to have this issue, and if so, how do I go about saving my custom settings? It got old after doing it the 3rd time with them not saving. Thanks!

Collapse -
CMS - Color Management System
by Rudy C1 / October 12, 2011 2:38 AM PDT

I looked at my posts and don't see a reference to CinemaSmooth. CMS is for color management. I have heard of Cinemasmooth and if the D7000 has it, I have it turned off according to most calibration set up's. I have not experianced your issue of settings not saving but you may be stuck in store demo mode and not home settings. Try starting the set up again, I recall it asked you what the use of the tv was: Store or Home. Go to AVS forum plasma displays Samsung model # and you'll get plenty of help.

Collapse -
Picture Mode: Cal-Day
by iamphatboy / January 22, 2012 9:22 AM PST

I am a professionally certified and trained ISF Calibrator. Here are the settings for one of my clients TVs.

Picture Mode: Cal-Day
Cell light: 14
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 58
Sharpness: 5
Color: 46
Tint: G51/R49
Color Temp: Warm2

GAMMA: 0

WB HIGH
R: 40
G: 25
B: 36

WB LOW
R: 33
G: 25
B: 23

All else off or Low

Collapse -
Settings for Sam PN59D8000
by A10068816 / January 26, 2012 7:57 AM PST

Are the settings as oulined above for the D7000 work with the D8000? First plasma so I have no idea what I'm doing.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.