Samsung

General discussion

Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding across Screen

by yanksmvp / January 16, 2013 1:29 AM PST

I hope some one can help me on this!
I have a 2 year old Samsung Plasma that is an awesome picture except on White or light colored backgrounds. A Red large area bleeds into the screen from top right to left and bottom right to left. It goes away as soon as picture changes to darker background.

What makes it worse is I purchased a 5 year extended warranty from DTVExpress.com (don't buy from these scam artists) who won't even look at the TV because they say it's "aging pixels" and not covered.

My Question is What is the problem if anyone knows and How much will it cost to repair it. I also called Samsung and of course they just put you in picture test and nothing shows up there. Then they say they can do a more detailed test but it may damage your TV - Great! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Frustrated in Florida!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding across Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding across Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the same problem with the same model.
by sanstress / January 16, 2013 4:12 AM PST

My tv is out of warranty by a year. It started as a small band of red dots in the upper right corner and it now has migrated to the rest of the screen. This only happens on light colored screens.

I had a tech come out and say it's a bad panel that it would cost $1,800 to repair it! That's more than I paid for it. I just contacted Samsung about this issue and mentioned a statutory warranty because a less than 2 year old tv should not be trashed this quickly! I'm waiting for them to contact me. If I were you, I would call Samsung and report the issue. The tech tried to claim that they've experience no issues with this particular model, but a quick internet search would prove different.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Statutory Warranty?
by yanksmvp / January 16, 2013 9:31 PM PST

Thanks for the info - I have contacted them twice but no offer of a "Statutory warranty" = what is that and how do you get it?

thanks,
John

Collapse -
Re: Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding across Screen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 5:12 AM PST

Hi yanksmvp

You could try using the pixel scrolling feature. Admittedly, this doesn't sound like image retention, but the pixel scrolling feature is a function built into Samsung plasma TVs that can reduce or remove the effects of screen image retention. The pixel scrolling function removes after-images from the screen by attempting to return all individual pixels to their base-line intensity. It does this by displaying alternating intensities of white and black, from white to gray to black.

Menu > Picture > Picture Options > Screen Burn Protection > "Scrolling" or "Pixel scrolling"

So it may help, or it may not, but it's worth trying I think.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Scrolling is not the issue
by yanksmvp / January 16, 2013 9:29 PM PST

Hd Tech

We tried the scrolling feature for over an hour - this is not a burn in issue. This is a manufacturer defect that is happeening to a lot of consumers. Samsung should make good on this for it's customers and issue a recall. This should not be happening to this quality TV in less than 2 years. Everyone I speak to online that has the issue had it happen between 1-2 years of ownership I emailed a photo to Andy at Samsung Support and hopefully they can begin to address the problem.

thanks,
John

Collapse -
Re: Scrolling is not the issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2013 6:07 AM PST

Hi yanksmvp

Good to hear you got in touch with us over Facebook/Twitter. I know Andy. He'll take excellent care of your issue.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Problem Solved!
by yanksmvp / January 24, 2013 5:15 AM PST
Grin I have to hand it Samsung and their support team on a job well done! Grin
The issue at hand seems to be low Voltage to the TV that causes the red bleeding. The fix is have their Tech people come out and increase the voltage in the TV. It's about a 15 minute fix with the technician removing the back panel and turning the voltage up to increase the flow. This instantly removed the Red bleeding effect on the TV.

Sad It wasn't aging pixels as DTVexpress.com had indicated so they could get out of the repair. I advise everyone who is thinking of using DTVexpress.com to stay away and buy a real extended warranty. Sad

Samsung communicated well and stayed on top of this issue from start to finish. Thanks Samsung!
Collapse -
Same issue
by rockit69 / February 9, 2013 6:07 PM PST
In reply to: Problem Solved!

I am having the exact same issue after having the tube replaced about a year ago for the same issue. Did Samsung charge you for the service as the warranty was expired. Could you point me in a direction to fix this issue, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Collapse -
It's a Voltage problem
by yanksmvp / February 10, 2013 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue

Hi Bob,

My issue is corrected. Samsung sent someone out from Lakes Electronics and in 10 minutes problem was solved. He changed the voltage flow coming into the TV and the red bleed was elimanated. He told me years ago they would change the whole panes (which sounds like you had done) but it's not necessary. Have a tech come out and change the voltage and all should be fine.

thanks,
John

Collapse -
Samsung forum: Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding across Screen
by rockit69 / February 17, 2013 9:58 PM PST

Samsung HD Tech,
I have the exact same TV and the exact same problem, allready had the panel replaced and the issue is back again. Is there a chance you can hook me up with andy so he could contact my local repair center who relaced my panel and let them know how to fix the issue. I have contacted them and dont have a warm fuzzy feeling they are going to do what was suggested to my set, I feel like they are leaning to me buying a another replacement panel.
Thanks, Bob

Collapse -
Re: Samsung forum: Samsung PN58C500 Red Bleeding
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 3:52 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.