Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PN58B650 Plasme causing AM radio interference

by MHMcLeod / December 26, 2009 12:16 AM PST

I bought a Samsung PN58B650 several weeks ago and noticed it caused a loud buzz on EVERY radio in the house when on AM. Samsung sent a service rep out. They tried to initially say it was a problem with the cable but we disconnected every I/O to the TV and even plugged it into a completely different outlet with no reduction in the noise. They said they had never seen that problem but would be willing to take it into the shop and see what they could find. That didn't give me a lot of confidence and since it was 2 weeks old I took it back and exchanged it for another set of the same model. I plugged this one into another outlet with nothing connected to any of the I/O and the new one caused the same problem. Is there a know problem with this set or is there anything in my environment that could be causing this? I have seen some older forums relating to plasma TV's causing HAM/AM interference but nothing like this. It appears to be across the whole AM spectrum and does vary with the picture.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN58B650 Plasme causing AM radio interference
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN58B650 Plasme causing AM radio interference
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2009 4:28 AM PST

MHMcLeod,

I can't speak for why that would be happening. I don't have any data on plasma units interfering with AM radio signals. If you think it's a power issue, I might suggest using a power line conditioner for the television.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by MHMcLeod / December 27, 2009 11:18 PM PST

I have no reason to believe it's a power issue. I've tried different power cords going to the TV, bypassing the surge protector and I've tried plugging it in a completely different outlet. I've totally disconnected all of the other electronics from power outlet with the TV with no change. I've got lots of other electronics in the house that don't cause the same problem nor do they seem to suffer from power problems.
Is there a particular reason why a power issues was suggested? Is there anyway to test for an issue short of an oscilloscope?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2009 4:24 PM PST

MHMcLeod,

Well, you noted that you tried a different outlet. "Dirty" power can sometimes lead to interference on a unit, although it wouldn't necessarily affect other units like AM radios. It was a shot in the dark. If the unit is still under warranty, you could have it inspected, but I don't know why it would affect radio signals.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I have exactly the same problem.
by Dare978devil / February 26, 2010 11:30 AM PST

I have a Samsung PN50A530 and I cannot turn on an AM radio anywhere near it. There is an incredibly loud buzzing sound on all stations. As soon as I turn off the TV, the reception is perfect so there is no doubt it is coming from the plasma. Any radio in the same room is affected, even when I place one 25 feet away. The receiver directly under the TV has no chance. The kitchen radio is about 35 feet away and the signal has to get through 2 walls including an original brick exterior wall, but the buzz is overwhelming. I can actually hear what they are saying on AM, but the buzz makes it unlistenable.

Just so that you know you are not alone out there man.

DD.

Collapse -
Common problem
by downunderbob / October 15, 2010 3:50 PM PDT

I'm on my second PS58C7000 and it still has RFI.

A mate who installs these things says it is a common issue, and don't expect a AM radio to work anywhere near one.

Having said that, when I called Samsung and explained the problem, they immediately said "send it back - it is faulty". I asked "are you sure?", and the tech (not help desk) guy said "if you get radio interference within a metre of the TV, it is faulty, and may possibly be a PSU shielding issue".

My second one does the same thing, and not that I really care about AM radio, BUT it may be, from what i gather from Samsung, indicative of some other fault.

DAMN shame because the picture is SUPERB!!!

The plasma also emits IR frequency waves too, even at 4 metres + - my IR receiver is simply unusable anywhere near the TV itself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.